Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruff Kut

Ponsness Warren Reloader Help?

Recommended Posts

I purchased a PW 800B.  It took me a little getting used to, but it is a great loader.  I have been through the entire manual, and have talked to PW Tech on the phone and still have an issue I can't figure out.  The press will load AA hulls like a dream, but hates Remington Hulls.  I am using Remington STS Primers and Remington STS and Nitro hulls.  Old primer pops out fine, but the new primers only seat about half way , and then it caves in the base of the hull.  The brass base is literally concave shaped.  Has anyone had similar experience?  Suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't load on a PW press (I have a few 366s), but it kinda sounds like you don't have the primer seater rod low enough to support the inside of the Rem hull while primer is being pressed in.     Have you checked the primer seater adjustment?

 

Good luck, GJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I don't load on a PW press (I have a few 366s), but it kinda sounds like you don't have the primer seater rod low enough to support the inside of the Rem hull while primer is being pressed in.     Have you checked the primer seater adjustment?

 

Good luck, GJ

It is definitely worth a check!  I guess I should not assume things.  Since it works perfectly on the Winchester AAs, I figured it was right.  Maybe the Remington hulls have a thinner base? and need a lower setting?  It is worth a shot certainly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to reset the primer seating on my P-W when I changed from AA to STS hulls. A bit of a pain but it actually does better with the STS hulls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I don't load on a PW press (I have a few 366s), but it kinda sounds like you don't have the primer seater rod low enough to support the inside of the Rem hull while primer is being pressed in.     Have you checked the primer seater adjustment?

 

Good luck, GJ

 

THIS^^^

 

STS, Nitro, and Gun Clubs have slightly more internal volume than AAs because the base wad is thinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ruff Kut said:

It is definitely worth a check!  I guess I should not assume things.  Since it works perfectly on the Winchester AAs, I figured it was right.  Maybe the Remington hulls have a thinner base? and need a lower setting?  It is worth a shot certainly.

 

Old Ruff Kut old buddy old pal, I suggest you load the shotgun shells on your previous loader and when you are a gonna be shootin’ agin me at BG and other matches this year just load in the PW as set up wif dem purdy green hulls. While you’re at it load some fir Barkeep too. :lol:

 

Kajun

Edited by Krazy Kajun
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years back I bought  PW.

As a commercial reloader, I was hoping to increase my production rate.

Set the press up for AA hulls and loaded some 10,000 hullls.

When the buckets were empty I started on teh STS hulls.

THis did not go well.

I spent a day and a half readjusting the press to load STS.

Things where fine until I went back to AA hulls.

Again, I had to re adjust the press.

There is a slight difference in the hulls and the primers. (diameter and a shoulder)

 

I did this re adjusting for about a year.

I sold the PW press and went back to what I was using originally.

Life became good again.

 

I will say the PW press is one of the finest presses I have used.

It is just too sensitive for commercial reloading where there are so many different hull the customers bring in.

 

Set the press up for your favorite hull and stick with those hulls.

Use other hulls for trading or selling.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Set the press up for your favorite hull and stick with those hulls.

Use other hulls for trading or selling.

 

 

I love my PW, but it is sensitive to change. Tully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Some years back I bought  PW.

As a commercial reloader, I was hoping to increase my production rate.

Set the press up for AA hulls and loaded some 10,000 hullls.

When the buckets were empty I started on teh STS hulls.

THis did not go well.

I spent a day and a half readjusting the press to load STS.

Things where fine until I went back to AA hulls.

Again, I had to re adjust the press.

There is a slight difference in the hulls and the primers. (diameter and a shoulder)

 

I did this re adjusting for about a year.

I sold the PW press and went back to what I was using originally.

Life became good again.

 

I will say the PW press is one of the finest presses I have used.

It is just too sensitive for commercial reloading where there are so many different hull the customers bring in.

 

Set the press up for your favorite hull and stick with those hulls.

Use other hulls for trading or selling.

 

 

Thank you Cliff Hanger!  That is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get.  I would think after so many years and so many customers out there that PW tech support could have fielded that question.  That is still kind of disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I considered buying a second PW press and setting one for AA and one for STS butt here are many other hulls so I decided to pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For PW parts and problems, my go to guy is:

S&W Supply Company

Jim "Whiz" White

5308 Timberline Trail

Rapid City, SD 57702-1804

605-341-4412    

    Good luck      GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

For PW parts and problems, my go to guy is:

S&W Supply Company

Jim "Whiz" White

5308 Timberline Trail

Rapid City, SD 57702-1804

605-341-4412    

    Good luck      GW

and if he can not answer the question then the question or problem does not exist.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing on.  PW does not have a post pushing on the inside of the hull. The hull is supported only by the rim..   The problem seems to be Rem primers are smallest in diameter... Someone here posted a shotshell primer dia chart.   Rem .240/   CCI-Fed >241/ Win-Nobel-Wolf .242 /  Cheddite-Fiochi- >243 and Rio-.244.     Lots of  complaints on trap shooters forums about primers not seating in once fired Rem STS/ Club            GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I seat Win 209 primers ALL the time in once-fired STS hulls, using a Hornady 366 loader which DOES have a primer seating ram that presses from inside the hull.   Absolutely no problems.    The European shotshell primers are known to use a standard diameter that is about 0.002" larger diameter than the US standard.    This CAN lead to loose primer pockets once a Cheddite or Rio primer is seated in a US hull, but it seems not to bother my loads in more-than-once-fired pickup hulls where I knock out whatever primer is there and seat a Win 209..

 

So, for the OP, I'd suggest switching to Win 209, Fed 209A, or (the real expensive) Rem 209s, if he is using any of the Euro primers..   But since he IS using Rem 209s, perhaps priming those hulls with a lower-end loader, then running the rest of the loading cycle on the PW might fix this.

 

I've been active on Shotgun World reloading forum for over 2 years now, and have NEVER seen a complaint about the Rem STS hulls being hard to prime!   But then, when I used to shoot trap there was a lot of whining going on......  :lol:

 

(Guess that's one more reason I like my old 366 loaders!)

GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Remington primers have a more rounded shoulder and the posness does not push down from inside the hull. When priming once fired STS hulls other brands of primers will not seat completely. You can use the correct size drill bit to slightly deepen the pocket or do what I do and simply load with Winchester primers which stick out a tiny amount and don’t hurt functioning. After firing the next time primers will seat flush to the rim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

The Remington primers have a more rounded shoulder and the posness does not push down from inside the hull. When priming once fired STS hulls other brands of primers will not seat completely. You can use the correct size drill bit to slightly deepen the pocket or do what I do and simply load with Winchester primers which stick out a tiny amount and don’t hurt functioning. After firing the next time primers will seat flush to the rim

Good to know, but no binder mechanic jokes?      GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, G W Wade said:

no binder mechanic jokes?

 

Ya know what happened when the binder mechanic tried working on a MF baler while drunk?

 

 

He got one tied on.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

 

Ya know what happened when the binder mechanic tried working on a MF baler while drunk?

 

 

He got one tied on.

 

That ain't how grandpa told it. 

 

But if I told it his way I'd get my knuckles rapped. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

 

Ya know what happened when the binder mechanic tried working on a MF baler while drunk?

 

 

He got one tied on.

Many times, occupational hazard        GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

The Remington primers have a more rounded shoulder and the posness does not push down from inside the hull. When priming once fired STS hulls other brands of primers will not seat completely. You can use the correct size drill bit to slightly deepen the pocket or do what I do and simply load with Winchester primers which stick out a tiny amount and don’t hurt functioning. After firing the next time primers will seat flush to the rim


this.  Remington hulls are known for having plastic in the primer hole.  I luckily bought a bunch of rem primers when they were cheap and use them without issue.   The best fix to use Winchester primers is to ream the primer pockets before use. Forget the drill size, but a search should turn it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.