SASS Wire Forum

BP sub choice? Wanted to keep using BlackMZ

Doc Nelson #19958

So... no more Black MZ I hear. I have enough for this year of BP matches but next year?

I have used Pyrodex, and 777, not fond of either but they were available. Found Black MZ and was going to use a lot more of it but I saw the posts about it being discontinued.

Since Black MZ was so nice to shoot and clean up after I really don't want to go back to 777, what are my options?

No, I don't want to use real and have to buy/make lubed bullets. I do use real for my shotshells as I picked up about 30 lbs from an old muzzle loader who had stock piled it in the 80's or so.

I do use moly-coated bullets now, 38's, 44's and 45's. No, I don't like using fillers. I don't have a lot of spare time but occasionally I will go the extra work because I like to throw smoke and flame  down range. When I shoot BP matches I am loading for 6 of us, simple and easy is necessary.

Doc Nelson

Black MZ was American Pioneer Powder - packaged for Alliant. I don’t know why Alliant stopped marketing it however, I don’t want you to think you’re stuck!  I am now representing American Pioneer Powder (APP) for SASS shooters and would be glad to help you out!  Please contact me at bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com

I will have it (FFF) at matches I attend but can also ship without much hassle or outrageous expense.

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Thanks @Michigan Slim!  I’ve given Tommy your Hi!  Thanks for the hug! :wub:

Big hugs!

Scarlett

19 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Scarlett's first class! There's your solution. 

I'll second that.  Doc, call Miss Scarlett and she'll take care of you.

The great thing about BMZ was the price - $9.99, less any discounts, like veteran's discount or $10 off $50 purchase / $30 off $150 purchase coupons. Whenever I was in Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd always buy some. Between the BMZ and four cases of Pinnacle I picked up when it was discontinued, I've got enough to last til hell freezes over. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The great thing about BMZ was the price - $9.99, less any discounts, like veteran's discount or $10 off $50 purchase / $30 off $150 purchase coupons. Whenever I was in Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd always buy some. Between the BMZ and four cases of Pinnacle I picked up when it was discontinued, I've got enough to last til hell freezes over. :lol:

But what are you going to shoot next year? 

:)

It was great while it lasted. I figure I have enough for two more years. Then we'll see. 

Grafs and Sons is convenient to me so real black powder would be no problem obtaining (other than filling out paperwork).  But I'm shooting unlubed bullets with BlackMZ.  I'd have to change out my bullets choice. I have been loading my shotgun shells with BlackMZ.  That would be the first to switch to Grafs Reenactor.   Switching back to Unique would be easiest choice as that's what Sawmill Mary shoots. 

WC, your unlubed bullets will shoot fine with APP.  Give it a try but switch to Reenactor for the SG shells to keep costs down.  I mostly used MZ for shotgun shells but am moving towards all black powder now that I have equipment to lube.  (It took me a few years to find the bargains I was seeking.)

Archived