SASS Wire Forum

Sambar Stag?

Old Buckaroo, SASS # 29117L

Patrick Grashorn does beautiful elk antler, moose antler and giraffe bone grips. Sambar Stag still can’t be imported.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Patrick Grashorn does beautiful elk antler, moose antler and giraffe bone grips. Sambar Stag still can’t be imported.

Patrick does giraffe now? Sweet

57 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Patrick does giraffe now? Sweet

Yep, I believe someone posted pictures not long ago of giraffe bone grips that Patrick did.

6 hours ago, Mr w said:

India did ban the export of Sambar stag and I don’t know if it still is eagle sells there Sambar stag for big money look on there site 

If the export is prohibited by the country of origin, then the U. S. Lacey Act would also make it unlawful to import to the U. S. or to possess.  The Lacey Act prohibits import and possession of all "preserved hides or skins" which  includes antlers, which are protected by other countries (paraphrasing here).  It is a law, enacted by Congress, not an administrative regulation.  Penalties are substantial.  

8 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Just got my Vaquero's elk grips from Mr. Grashorn in the mail Thursday.

need pix!

So if India prohibits export, we will prohibit import from everywhere? Or just India?

I have 3 pairs of grips from Mr. Grashorn, and they all look great.

3 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

So if India prohibits export, we will prohibit import from everywhere? Or just India?

I have 3 pairs of grips from Mr. Grashorn, and they all look great.

If the country of origin protects the wild species, then they are unlawful to either IMPORT into, or POSSESS within, the United States, absent proper permits both from the country of origin and the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 

I might add that USFWS enforcement personnel receive training in how to identify parts of the many protected species, as do the wildlife staff of many states. 

But the fact is, they seldom have much opportunity to encounter the contraband material, unless it is  offered for sale, either at brick-and-mortar store vendor, at shows, or online.  The agents frequent all of those places.   If they do identify unlawful material, the entire gun, not just the grips, are likely to be confiscated as contraband and not likely returned.   It really isn't worth messing with protected species, given all the other good grip materials out there. 

But with all of that said, there are legally permitted sources for many restricted wildlife materials.  Some countries either have captive breeding programs, for sellable material, or sell limited numbers of hunting or harvest permits as a means to raise species protection and management revenue.  So if you find a source of Sambar for sale, it is worth asking for copies of the permit paperwork, which you will need if found to be in possession.  

Sanbar Stag is a renewable resource, They shed the antlers and regrow them. The reason for the ban is that poachers were using the permits granted them to search for the sheds to access the area and were poaching a protected species of big cat( Don't remember which one) I read somewhere that every so often India will allow the collection of the sheds and sell them to the highest bidder, which brings in a small supply for those of us that prefer Sanbar to other types of antler.

www.eaglegrips.com   In Carol Stream Illinois is a very SASS friendly dealer. Makes great Sambar Stag grips. Go to the web site. They have set up at our matches. I'm about to order a set for a Talo birdshead Vaquero.

Archived