SASS Wire Forum

44 Russian whats your favorite load

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I will be shooting smokeless a few times and would like to load 44 Russian in my .44 spcls till its time to shoot the holy black again and put in the 44-40 cylinders...Just curious what some of your favorite loads might be. I know that I can get info from the reloading manuals and the powder manufacturers websites.

Sgt Hochbauer

Full load APP under a 200gr bullet. 

Smokeless I like 5.5gr of Unique under a 200gr bullet. 

Great round for my 44 Open Top Colt Clones .

Howdy

Sorry, I have never loaded 44 Russian with Smokeless powder.

Only Black Powder.

I use Starline brass, Mav-Dutchman 200 grain Big Lube bullets sized to .428, about 19.5 grains of Schuetzen FFg, and a Federal Large Pistol Primer.

image.jpeg.9026802d80e7634667c54eba0f62dbb2.jpeg

This is the load I use in my almost matched pair of S&W New Model Number Three revolvers.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ba593acb222b342f322696053018e8e.jpeg

My long barreled open tops love 16 grains weight of GOEX 2F, Fed. LP primer and the 200gr. Big lube bullet full of SPG. 

Smokeless is 3.2gr Red Dot, Rem. LP primer and a 180gr. FPRN or TC from Rim Rock or S&S. 

3.4gr. Red Dot, Rem. Primer and 165gr. Coated bullet from Missouri bullets is a very nice, soft load also

1 hour ago, Lead Monger said:

My long barreled open tops love 16 grains weight of GOEX 2F, Fed. LP primer and the 200gr. Big lube bullet full of SPG. 

Smokeless is 3.2gr Red Dot, Rem. LP primer and a 180gr. FPRN or TC from Rim Rock or S&S. 

3.4gr. Red Dot, Rem. Primer and 165gr. Coated bullet from Missouri bullets is a very nice, soft load also

Lead Monger, I am curious why the different primers for BP and smokeless.  

Smokeless I use 2.9 gns Trail Boss 165 gn pill for pistol and 180 gn pill for rifle.

BP 9 gn APP 165 gn pill.

12 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Lead Monger, I am curious why the different primers for BP and smokeless.  

I most often use Fed. primers but bench testing showed the Rem. primers produced tighter groups with those bullets and powder. 

The Fed. primer is outstanding with GOEX and the 200gr. big lube.

• 4 weeks later...

Redding does not offer a carbide die set for these, so I picked up the RCBS #18651 set.

Q: are there any caveats, etc, I should know before I start loading these?
200 gr LRNFP, 3.0~3.4 grains of Trail Boss, WLP in Starline #4400 brass.
For Vaquero 44 mag only, something else for rifle.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

Redding does not offer a carbide die set for these, so I picked up the RCBS #18651 set.

Q: are there any caveats, etc, I should know before I start loading these?
200 gr LRNFP, 3.0~3.4 grains of Trail Boss, WLP in Starline #4400 brass.
For Vaquero 44 mag only, something else for rifle.

With TB, start in the middle of the powder load range.

OLG 

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to the Age of Enlightenment, I did dabble in that Fad, Heathen, Smokeless stuff.  In 44 Russian I liked 4 Gr TightGroup with a 180 gr Bullet.  I am want to report, I have since seen the light.

This isn't my favorite, exactly, I just loaded some up with this and it worked well, so I never changed. :D

4.0 Titegroup/165 grain RFN from Badman Bullets.

I'm having Ringer's Bullets make a run of 44-200 LRNFP, soft cast to BHN=9, in Hi-Tek coating.
After calculating all sorts of loads, this bullet seems to be the most suitable for me.
I have Starline 44 RUS and 44 SP brass and Federal primers for these loads.

My new copy of the Lee 2nd Edition of Modern Reloading #B000N8OKAU came today.

This one is a must-have for anybody interested in a deep dive into pressure, BHN and charge extrapolation.

This is Lee-centric but has a ton of useful loads, including 44 Russian and a strong focus on lead bullets.

This volume is 100% worth owning, because he does a comprehensive explanation of cartridge pressure, BHN and how to accurately extrapolate various loads. This is by far the most useful and lucid explanation I have seen on this subject.

Mine came from an eBay seller, and is the 2019 edition with 38,000 loads. The author worked very closed with Hodgdon, who was the only powder maker willing to divulge their load pressure measurements. The Hodgdon test lab worked with the author to prove his extrapolation calculations are accurate.

So far, I rate the Lee as #1, Lyman as #2 and Speer-15 as #3.

Archived