Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero... collectable?


evil dogooder

Recommended Posts

 So I picked up a short barreled. 45 with the thought of doing a barrel swap of off gunbroker.   I was surprised at the condition and started looking for a reason why it would be.  Turns out it was a first year gun.  Serial less than 50.   So do I keep it as is or continue with my plans to put a custom barrel on it.  

 

   Im not aware of anyone connecting this type if gun but thought I'd check here first.   Any advice appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

There are reputedly people,  ah collectors if you will, whom will "collect" about anything.  I once read about a fellow with a famous collection of Buffalo Chips.  There are those whom collect three screw Rugers.  I'm with Doc Roy L.  Originally made to be shot.  Intended to bust primers and burn propellant.  I'd be using it to do just that.  Don't know that I'd re-barrel it though.  Although I'd be some tempted by a 3 1/2 inch Octagonal with the Ejector.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say it is a first year of production, are you referring to what is now called an "Old Model" Vaquero, or a "New Vaquero, as marked on the side of the frame?  What barrel length? Blued or stainless?  As Doc posted, check the Ruger Forum.  You never know what some folks will collect, even though fairly recent-made.  I sometimes tell folks not to throw away yesterday's margarine rappers...they may be collector's items tomorrow! ^_^ 

 

Depending on what  you paid for the gun, you would probably be better off to sell it and buy another.  Although Old Model Vaqueros are no longer in production, you probably can find one in decent shape with a longer barrel.  I'm not in the market, being gun-poor and preferring .44's, but there ought to be somebody out there who'd be interested and/or have a longer tubed gun.  Best of luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

When you say it is a first year of production, are you referring to what is now called an "Old Model" Vaquero, or a "New Vaquero, as marked on the side of the frame?  What barrel length? Blued or stainless?  As Doc posted, check the Ruger Forum.  You never know what some folks will collect, even though fairly recent-made.  I sometimes tell folks not to throw away yesterday's margarine rappers...they may be collector's items tomorrow! ^_^ 

 

Depending on what  you paid for the gun, you would probably be better off to sell it and buy another.  Although Old Model Vaqueros are no longer in production, you probably can find one in decent shape with a longer barrel.  I'm not in the market, being gun-poor and preferring .44's, but there ought to be somebody out there who'd be interested and/or have a longer tubed gun.  Best of luck!

 Made in 93 , I've plenty of vaqueros. no collector guns. I also have the 33 Lcr off the line.   From the responses here I won't feel too bad about doctoring it.    It's case hardened.     Im just thinking I'd like a 10" ,  or a 2" vaquero.  Something different.  I have the standard barrel lengths just bored. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dogooder  :)

 

10 inch Vaquero = Already been done.  In fact, Prairie Dawg had a pair of Ruger Buntline Cap Guns.  Ho Hum.  2 inch Vaquero = Already been done.  Several times.  Looks weird.  3 1/2 inch Vaquero, Octagonal Barrel, with Ejector needs doing.  that would be some tasty.  In fact, a pair would be Uber Tasty B)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorta like these by Slick McClade:

 

mm8pistols.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 1:37 PM, evil dogooder said:

 So I picked up a short barreled. 45 with the thought of doing a barrel swap of off gunbroker.   I was surprised at the condition and started looking for a reason why it would be.  Turns out it was a first year gun.  Serial less than 50.   So do I keep it as is or continue with my plans to put a custom barrel on it.  

 

   Im not aware of anyone connecting this type if gun but thought I'd check here first.   Any advice appreciated

What do you have  to lose put it on Gunbroker for a ridiculously high price and see what happens!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t think that I like the octagon bbl look on the vaquero. Andy Horvath built a 2 5/8 bbl snubby from my .45 Colt 5.5 inch vaquero years ago. He removed the ejector rod boss, removed the stupid Ruger warning, added a knurled piece to the base pin to resemble the Colt Lightning and slicked it up. I recently added the blackhawk hammer. In fact I installed the nicer style hammers on all 5 of my vaqueros. The old brass key is it’s ejector. Had the engraving done by Downing. It’s dead on.

B4174ED5-8BBE-4882-921A-D763A13A413A.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Don’t think that I like the octagon bbl look on the vaquero. Andy Horvath built a 2 5/8 bbl snubby from my .45 Colt 5.5 inch vaquero years ago. He removed the ejector rod boss, removed the stupid Ruger warning, added a knurled piece to the base pin to resemble the Colt Lightning and slicked it up. I recently added the blackhawk hammer. In fact I installed the nicer style hammers on all 5 of my vaqueros. The old brass key is it’s ejector. Had the engraving done by Downing. It’s dead on.

B4174ED5-8BBE-4882-921A-D763A13A413A.jpeg

Nice looking... I was thinking something along those lines.. however I prefer the stock hammer and stag grips 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I put these checkered horn grips on all my competition rugers to get a good grip on them over the slick rosewoods that were on them. But in recent years I’ve put stags on my blued smiths and Colts. I like the contrast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When the John Wayne Ruger Vaqueros came out several years back they were selling for around $900. Now they are priced on GB for around $1200 to $1300. Collectible? Maybe to some but they are still just a Ruger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 10:37 AM, evil dogooder said:

 Not aware of anyone collecting this type of gun but thought I'd check here first.   Any advice appreciated

I heard a man say once;

That wine was made for drinking.

Cars were made for driving.

Guns were made for shooting.

 

Squirreling away a fine wine in a cave, hiding a sports car in a garage or leaving a gun in a box unfired is wrong.

 

The only thing that makes an item appreciate in value is when (perceived) demand is greater than (perceived) supply.

 

If no one cuts one up, breaks one, modifies one - then the others will never be worth any more than they are today.

 

The best firearms example of this is commemorative firearms.

(As a rule) They don't really appreciate that much; because they were worth X when they built 2500 of them and 40 years later - there are still 2478 of them left in the box. 

No change in supply - no change in demand - no change in value.

 

It's your gun.  

Cut it up, rebarrel it - do what makes you happy.

At worse - 50 years from now; you made some other guys gun worth more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'm not even sure you can cut up a Ruger they're so tough. ;)

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

 I'm not even sure you can cut up a Ruger they're so tough. ;)

 

 

 

 

Oh the barrel cuts nicely.  Already crowned just need to add a sight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

No, at the worst you pay good money to devalue a gun you could have sold for a profit.  But hey, it’s a Ruger so, not that big a deal :D.

The ONLY time anything has any "value" is when you purchase it or when you sell it.

 

If someone is building something for their own use and intends to keep it - their actions have ZERO effect on its value. 

Or their actions actually increase it's value to the owner.

 

I'm not sure where this mindset comes from that anyone else has any stake or say in what anyone does with the fruit of their own labor.

 

You paid for it - didn't steal it or harm another to acquire it.

Do with it as makes you happy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hence the reference to selling it...  My point was if it’s worth more than other guns because of the number, sell it, buy another gun that is not worth the premium and pocket the profit.  It’s a Ruger, there are lots of them around so you shouldn’t have a problem finding another.  If it turns out that it’s not worth a premium, then forget it.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around collecting Rugers, but I hear there are folks that do.  It might be worth checking.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I heard a man say once;

That wine was made for drinking.

Cars were made for driving.

Guns were made for shooting.

 

Squirreling away a fine wine in a cave, hiding a sports car in a garage or leaving a gun in a box unfired is wrong.

 

The only thing that makes an item appreciate in value is when (perceived) demand is greater than (perceived) supply.

 

If no one cuts one up, breaks one, modifies one - then the others will never be worth any more than they are today.

 

The best firearms example of this is commemorative firearms.

(As a rule) They don't really appreciate that much; because they were worth X when they built 2500 of them and 40 years later - there are still 2478 of them left in the box. 

No change in supply - no change in demand - no change in value.

 

It's your gun.  

Cut it up, rebarrel it - do what makes you happy.

At worse - 50 years from now; you made some other guys gun worth more.

Nailed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.