• Replies 26.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

You have to understand. She was murdered by an illegal alien from Venezuela, not a white policeman. And she's white, not black.

So no one cares.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

53 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You have to understand. She was murdered by an illegal alien from Venezuela, not a white policeman. And she's white, not black.

So no one cares.

Also going to college to further her education towards a good paying job, not out on the street getting high and trying to pass counterfeit US currency.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

FOR ALL OF YOU MORONS OUT THERE ASKING FOR "FATHER'S DAY" AND "MOTHER'S DAY" TO BE CHANGED TO "SPECIAL
PERSON DAY" THERE IS ALREADY A DAY JUST FOR YOU.
IT'S "APRIL FOOLS DAY"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/29/2024 at 9:59 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

c4697d3ace61faa5e479336e87f798aed7be6268cbca373929ad3791c84d3105_1.webp

Naval architects started looking at wind assistant back in the '70s and the first  Oil Crisis. 

Now the idea is more towards parasail-like kites.  Fuel savings of maybe 30%. On an average sized cargo ship that's,  if I recall the numbers from the last time I  slammed this ignorant - make that STUPID- meme, at today's fuel prices that's a savings of about $22,000 per day.

I don't know about you,  but I  wouldn't mind getting $22,000 or more every day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The additional crew needed to handle the sails would eat up a lot if not all of the savings.

Mostly because they would have to be paid even if the sails were not in use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The additional crew needed to handle the sails would eat up a lot if not all of the savings.

Mostly because they would have to be paid even if the sails were not in use. 

I don't know what merchant seamen make, but even if it took a  dozen extra crew - and with modern technology I doubt the kites would need more than that,  and motorized "window shade" sails even fewer- I don't think cŕew salaries would I crease by $20,000 per day per vessel. 

I  just did a quick search, to Panamax ships:

"Most  ship engines have been designed for top speeds ranging between 20 and 25 knots per hour, which is between 23 and 28 miles per hour. A Panamax container ship can consume 63,000 gallons of marine fuel per day at that speed.

Fuel use drops sharply as speeds decrease. A container ship can decrease fuel use close to one-third."

So,

Set speeds so they cut usage to 30,000 gallons per day  and fuel cost drops to $19,000 per day,  but to maintain schedules shipping lines need to add vessels. 

It's all the rage to make fun of the OHMYGAWDCARBONFOOTPRINT alarmism  as you can see I don't have much use for those Lysenkoists, but to just blindly ridicule an idea because CNN says something about reducing carbon emissions is just as ignorant as the Lysenkoists.  Maybe even moreso.

• Like 3

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66543643

Probably had a heck of a time getting it insured.  And certified by government maritime authorities. 

And, you missed my point about the stupidity of heaping scorn on an emerging technology...and it IS an emerging technology in spite of sails being around for thousands of years unless you can point to 600 foot long, 90,000 ton diesel powered vessels existing thousands of years ago. 

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66543643

Probably had a heck of a time getting it insured.  And certified by government maritime authorities. 

And, you missed my point about the stupidity of heaping scorn on an emerging technology...and it IS an emerging technology in spite of sails being around for thousands of years unless you can point to 600 foot long, 90,000 ton diesel powered vessels existing thousands of years ago. 

In a time where everyone is trying to decrease labor costs I could see this increasing them , and this would take skilled labor. 

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

In a time where everyone is trying to decrease labor costs I could see this increasing them , and this would take skilled labor. 

Right.....increasing labor costs,  say $5,000/day per vessel is disastrous compared to saving $19,000/day per vessel in fuel costs.

I  have no idea what a retrofit would cost, but let's say a savings of $15,000 per day of steaming,  that's $4,500,000 savings in 300 days of steaming. Might come close to paying for a retrofit. Even if it took 2 years to pay off a retrofit,  in the 25 to 30 year average life of merchant vessels that still amounts to a significant reduction in fuel costs.   

But OHMYGAWDTHEARTICALSAIDCARBONEMISSIONS!!!!! So naturally it CAN'T be good and every True American should oppose it!

Yeah....it might not work out.  But,  like the Pony Express....the heavily subsidized by the government Pony Express (OMG!!!!GOVERNMENTSUBSIDY!!) it's worth a shot.   Industry tries all sorts of things that don't work,  look at the oil industry and dry wells.

• Like 1