Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Major Crimes

Huglu shotgun

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried a Huglu Coach Gun (non external hammer)?

Can they be worked into a Cowboy gun?

download.png

Edited by Major Crimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, TYB uses one. Looks the part as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a Huglu, but I have a Zenith made by Tedna (another Turkish company) and have done a mild action job.

Lightened hammer springs, replaced lever spring, polished chamber mouths and internals. Works great!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Not a Huglu, but I have a Zenith made by Tedna (another Turkish company) and have done a mild action job.

Lightened hammer springs, replaced lever spring, polished chamber mouths and internals. Works great!

Same with my Yildiz.  I'm very happy with that shotgun.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes ,,,,,,,,,,,,, But hammer-less guns will never catch on .....B)

I have the Huglu Cowboy Deluxe it is a hammered gun ....

It's a Well made gun, all the screws are timed and engraved...

It was a little tight to start but gets better with use, shells drop out of chambers ( I use the Real Powder ).....

Cleans -up nice and easy with it's Chromed barrels ....

 

Jabez Cowboy

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the Turkish shotguns are very similar, almost like they were made by the same company.

Good quality, aesthetically pleasing and seem to be pretty durable.

Just wish there was better factory support here.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all.

I feel your pain Rainmaker but that's our lot (lack of factory support) in Australia for all guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Huglu and a Kahn, both made in Turkey.  The Huglu is a nice looking shotgun and appears to be well made.  It came with individual velvet bags for each part.

 

I bought it for using black powder.  But, it has a Dolls' Nose which gets in the way of loading fast, as does the Kahn.  That is a part which protrudes from the barrels, between the chambers and locks into the receiver for strength.  If you can navigate around that protrusion, it is a fine shotgun.  I understand that the newer ones do not have that feature.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

I have a Huglu and a Kahn, both made in Turkey.  The Huglu is a nice looking shotgun and appears to be well made.  It came with individual velvet bags for each part.

 

I bought it for using black powder.  But, it has a Dolls' Nose which gets in the way of loading fast, as does the Kahn.  That is a part which protrudes from the barrels, between the chambers and locks into the receiver for strength.  If you can navigate around that protrusion, it is a fine shotgun.  I understand that the newer ones do not have that feature.

 

Thanks LR, I didn't notice something like that with the one I looked at at the GS but I will check before I buy.

 

I found it heavier than most of the others but I ain't carrying it for long so that's probably an advantage. There was plenty of meat on the barrels so plenty of room to shape the chambers to throw those rounds in.

 

They are nearly the same price as the Boito/etc and they do look good in comparison to the cheaper SG.

 

Looks like a win win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Huglu does Not have any thing obstructing getting two in fast,,,,, other than Me being Slow...

The chambers are hard chromed, and polished ..... Shells go in easy and out the same ... It is chambered of 3 inch shells ( just think long forcing Cone )...

When I use plastic Wads in my other guns I get "Plastic Snot " coming out of the barrels while cleaning .... Not with this gun's Super Slick bores....

Clean-up is a dream ....

Slick bores long Smooth Chambers and a little Weight make it fun to shoot , for a sawed off Runt of a Gun...

It came from the Factory with 18.5 inch barrels were as the rest of my Shotgun Herd have barrels at least 29 inches long ....

It took some getting used to,,,, And I think the perfect barrel length would be 24 inches ...

But it's a good solid Fun Gun to use ...

 

Jabez Cowboy

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Thanks all.

I feel your pain Rainmaker but that's our lot (lack of factory support) in Australia for all guns.

Is there any factory support for CZ firearms?  I ask because the shotguns marketed by CZ are built for them by Huglu.  I have a CZ Bobwhite G2 and is a very nice shotgun, especially for the price (About $650 in US dollars).   I wouldn't consider it race ready, but neither should it need a lot of work either.  Perhaps the biggest downside is that it is a fairly light gun.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, Huglu factory had a huge fire this week . They may be shut down for some time.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 10:59 AM, Chantry said:

Is there any factory support for CZ firearms?  I ask because the shotguns marketed by CZ are built for them by Huglu.  I have a CZ Bobwhite G2 and is a very nice shotgun, especially for the price (About $650 in US dollars).   I wouldn't consider it race ready, but neither should it need a lot of work either.  Perhaps the biggest downside is that it is a fairly light gun.

I picked up a CZ Sharptail Coachgun in June.  For a test of their support, I contacted them for a replacement cocking arm spring.  They sent me two springs within 5 working days. No charge!  Great factory support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 1:59 AM, Chantry said:

Is there any factory support for CZ firearms?  I ask because the shotguns marketed by CZ are built for them by Huglu.  I have a CZ Bobwhite G2 and is a very nice shotgun, especially for the price (About $650 in US dollars).   I wouldn't consider it race ready, but neither should it need a lot of work either.  Perhaps the biggest downside is that it is a fairly light gun.

 

6 hours ago, Wicker Nash said:

I picked up a CZ Sharptail Coachgun in June.  For a test of their support, I contacted them for a replacement cocking arm spring.  They sent me two springs within 5 working days. No charge!  Great factory support!

 

In Aust we generally have to rely on the importer for any support.

 

That support is often a post bag back to the manufacturer:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

  But, it has a Dolls' Nose which gets in the way of loading fast, as does the Kahn.  

 

Is this what you called the dolls nose?

 

 

huglu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

 

Is this what you called the dolls nose?

 

 

huglu.jpg

 

No and the correct term is  "doll's head" which is an extension that protrudes from the top of the barrel and locks into the breech.  Below is an example of a doll's head extension although they come in different shapes and sizes.  It was an attempt to make the action even stronger, although at shotgun pressures it really wasn't necessary.

 

 

doll's head.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In an attempt to be silly...

 

Huglu...  A name that just says "ugly" to me.

 

Zenith made by Tedna...  When did Zenith start making shotguns?   I guess they had to license their name out when the couldn't make a profit on color TV's anymore.  Tedna...  Tedna...  Nope, can't recall where I've heard that before.

 

Kahn...   Kahn...    KAAAAHHHNNNN...   It tasks me.

 

Boito/etc...  So they couldn't decide how to spell the rest of their name?

 

And if you take this post seriously, you shouldn't   :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chantry, what you're displaying is the extractor. Pushes the shells out of the chambers. Without it, you'd have to hope they fell out when tipped up.

Ya need it. And that's a fine one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Chantry, what you're displaying is the extractor. Pushes the shells out of the chambers. Without it, you'd have to hope they fell out when tipped up.

Ya need it. And that's a fine one.

That bar in the middle of the barrel is not the extractor, it does not move when the shotgun is opened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Chantry, what you're displaying is the extractor. Pushes the shells out of the chambers. Without it, you'd have to hope they fell out when tipped up.

Ya need it. And that's a fine one.

 

Rainmaker, I assume you meant that comment about the photo I posted, not Chantry's.

 

 

9 hours ago, Chantry said:

That bar in the middle of the barrel is not the extractor, it does not move when the shotgun is opened.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

 

Rainmaker, I assume you meant that comment about the photo I posted, not Chantry's.

 

 

 

Yes, absolutely... sorry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

In an attempt to be silly...

 

Huglu...  A name that just says "ugly" to me.

 

Zenith made by Tedna...  When did Zenith start making shotguns?   I guess they had to license their name out when the couldn't make a profit on color TV's anymore.  Tedna...  Tedna...  Nope, can't recall where I've heard that before.

 

Kahn...   Kahn...    KAAAAHHHNNNN...   It tasks me.

 

Boito/etc...  So they couldn't decide how to spell the rest of their name?

 

And if you take this post seriously, you shouldn't   :)

 

 

There are other things made by company's named Zenith.

 

One of the most accurate watch movements is Zenith. Even some of the best Rolex watches got there

movement from the Zenith watch company.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another interesting thing I found out about the Huglu Coach Gun.

 

It is both an Extractor and Ejector:blink:

 

There are springs running under the forearm along the barrel and apparently if you remove a piece it is an extractor and if you leave them in it is an ejector.

 

The one I tried at the shop still had the piece in so the GS staff member and I were very surprised when it ejected the Snap caps I put in:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that is very interesting , i did not realize there was an option , they were looking at more than one market there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own the Huglu 201 HRZ, the coach with external hammers. As this topic is about extractors I'd like to show mine as I noticed a slightly different shape compared to the picture above. My extractor is a bit more narrow at the top and wider at the bottom for easier putting in the shells. I don't know the year of production of my shotgun but I bought it last year from a dealer who just started selling Huglu guns, so it definitely can't be a shopkeeper. I just wanted to point out that Huglu possibly made a general design change of the extractors, also on the ones with internal hammers, but that's just a speculation.....

 

Equanimous

 

 

Huglu_HRZ201.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldnt help myself and bought it yesterday:blush:

 

The GS will convert it to an Extractor for me and I will get some work done to it later when I have loosened it up a bit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, Major Crimes said:

huglu.jpg

 

I took her for a spin on Sunday and it is pretty good out of the box.

 

The lever is pretty tight but I didnt really notice with a bit of adrenaline up.

 

The extractor shape is something I may work with (as pointed out by EP its a bit bigger than some models). The piece up the top tends to push the left shell away (to the left) a bit as you are trying to line them up (from the top) before rolling them in. I might see if I can cut it in half and remove the top half of the extractor. It seems to be held by two pins, one up top and one on the bottom (which I suspect is the one that is pushed out when you open it?).

 

The gun shucks Winchester AA's easily without any polishing. All I did was clean out the grease with some Acetone and then give a light brush with Ballistol.

 

So lighten the lever, maybe remove the top of the extractor and radialise the chambers and we are good to go.

 

Oh and not sure about the front sight it is a white bead that faces back up the gun rib (mounted to a blade type/looking sight) rather than a round type bead that you can see from any angle?

Edited by Major Crimes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the gun to my local GS and he was pleasantly surprised about how well made the gun is.

 

When I told him I had a Huglu for him to work on he said I would find him sobbing in a dark corner when I bought it round. When he got his hands on it he was pleasantly surprised.

 

He worked for a while with Merkel making Double Rifles and SG so he is pretty fussy. He stripped the thing all the way down and started pointing out design points and features. He thinks they have gone out of their way to copy many of the Beretta SG features and so have built a good SG for the price.

 

He hates messing around with anything that may impact on safety or the design of a gun, that may come back and bite you later, so he has talked me out of any cutting and grinding until I work it in for a bit and we can see what is needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.