SASS Wire Forum

Case Trimming

German Jim

Straight walled cases typically don't stretch. Tapered cases such as the .30 carbine will a little. Bottleneck cases will and need to be checked for length after every sizing. Be sure to chamfer the case mouth after trimming.

+2 on not case trimming.

In my previous shooting life, I did trim straight walled cases and I separated my brass by head stamp.  After 15 plus years of cowboy shooting and loading for two people, 3-4 matches a month, I don't bother with it anymore. 

When I first started loading 45 Colt and 44-40 for CAS I bought a case trimmer.

I dutifully measured my brass before and after shooting.

I discovered that at the pressure levels we shoot, it does not stretch at all.

That darn case trimmer is still taking up valuable space on my loading bench.

8 hours ago, German Jim said:

Thanks all!  I was just wondering if I should trim my 38W.C.F brass.

I only loaded 38 wcf for about 3 years. But in that time I never had to trim any.

Been loading 44 wcf for a long time and have never trimmed any of it. I believe it will split before you will ever need to trim.

I have found that low pressure pistol cases really don't stretch. However, after accumulating about 15 gallons of .38 special brass and having some case swapping from matches, there is some variation. I'm not inclined to trim it all to the same length, so a FCD makes it a non-issue.

I too found my .45 Colt fired cases, loaded multiple times. have not stretched.

I mainly use T.B. @ 5.5 gr. under a 250 gr bullet.

I do find new brass needs to be trimmed and de-burred.

PLUS ONE ... or ... TWO to all those folks who said "Why Bother."  Waste of time and effort.  Never bothered with it.  Won't ever bother with it.

Nevermind.

When I started reloading I read a couple of reloading manuals & videos.  What I follow is if bottleneck once fired or range brass I trim after resizing.  I have collected a couple thousand 223 & 5.56X45 cases.  Every one of the resized cases required some trimming.  I haven't cleaned & resized any that I reloaded; so, I can't verify that the brass is drawn every time it is fired.

Archived