SASS Wire Forum

Small .22 suggestions please..

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Any recommendations on a .22 small enuf to conceal easy and

large enuf to get a decent grip.

The little single action 5 shooters are too small for my hands.

Im looking for the right size.....

Best

CR

My Ruger SR22 has been great.  Eats anything it"s been fed.  Only thing I do not like is hammer drop lever. Once in a while when shooting fast, my left thumb will hit the lever. Then the next shot is the long heavy double action.   Can be found a pretty good price also.  They are offering a long slide (4 1/2 bbl) now that I really like.  Hoping they will offer a top end kit so I can swap back and forth     Other favorite 22 is S&W 34 with 4 in   but they are getting pricey.      Good luck in your search.  Sure your going to get lots of advice here......GW

Chili,

I can recommend 3 from personal experience and ownership.

They are are great .22 pistols and would say that all 3 have been 100% reliable with various ammo

I have shot in them.

1.  S&W M&P 'Compact'.    DA/SA.   And I like the safety better than the Ruger SR22.   The S&W safety

is UP for safe and flick down to fire.

2. Ruger SR22.   DA/SA.    The safety is UP to fire and flick it down for safe.   For me, this is opposite of 

most pistols I am use to.

3.  Browning 1911-22.    SA only.    WOW, what a neat little pistol.   It about 7/8 scale of the 1911 and it functions like

the 1911.   These pistols are available in MANY decorative finishes.  

ALL 3 of these pistols hold 10 rounds.     I own all 3 and shoot all three.   I carry the little 1911-22 in my pant pocket

while on the mower and working outside in the yard.

BUT..... I leave the S&W .22 loaded in the house for the Bunkhouse Boss to grab if ever needed.

She is a non-shooter and the S&W is the one she would prefer to use if needed.   Its easier to flip

the safety DOWN (off) and fire than to flip it UP (off) like the SR22.

I've owned the Walther P22 and it was o.k.   I just personally didn't think it is as good and reliable

as those 3 I mentioned above.

Now, if ya wanna talk about bigger framed .22 pistols, start another thread on the Ruger MK series VS. 

Browning Buckmark, VS. S&W Model 41, VS. Volquartsen Scorpion,  VS.....etc...........

;)

..........Widder

I'd say the Sig Mosquito, but they are finicky with ammo.

Also the Walther P22 for consideration.

While not .22LR and may not be easy to conceal, the Keltec PMR30 holds 30 rounds of .22WMR and is larger but lightweight.

Howdy,

Some nice ideas, thanks....more?

The Bobcat was one I had forgot about.

That is real interesting.

And the Bobcat has been around long enough to have some nice 

used ones on the market.

Best

CR

On 3/21/2019 at 1:04 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ruger LCR in .22 lr 9 shot also in .22 mag. This is a revolver.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:07 PM, Trigger Mike said:

S and w 351 pd 7 shot 22 mag. J frame like their 38

The great thing about these two are that Speer and Hornady (and maybe others), make personal defense rounds in .22WMR that get a fair amount of expansion, considering we're talking a .22. If you're going to shoot .22, you might as well go for every advantage you can get. I want to get my hands on one and let Mrs. Doc do some shooting with it.

Chili Ron, I have no experience with these but those that I have talked to that do say they are cheap and reliable with premium .22 ammo.

Jimenez Arms JA-22

https://jimenezarmsinc.com/ja22lr/

They are small. They are copies of the old Jennings .22s. They are cheap. Do a search on them and their reliability. Like I said, they like premium ammo. CCI STINGERS and such.

Archived