SASS Wire Forum

Do you pay bills with a credit card?

Alpo

I have a card. Gives me "rewards points".  These equate to 1% - penny on the dollar

They currently have a thing going - pay your bills with the card and get 3X piints.

My cellphone HAS TO be paid with a card, so that's great. Mo' money, mo' money.

But I looked into some of the other bills.

Gas company charges $5 service charge. Bill amount don't matter - $5 to process the card. Biggest gas bill I ever had was $80. I would be paying five dollars to get a two dollar forty cent reward.

Water bill. 3 dollar charge, but my bill runs about fifty bucks, so pay three to get $1.50 in points.

Seems like a bad plan.

Alpo,

It depends on what they classify as bills.

Most utilities either don't accept CC payment or charge a fee.

As OLG stated, I pay those through my checking account.

I use my credit card to pay any bills or invoices allowed and receive reward points.

362471652_CapitalOneCard.jpg.3fa9daa6c5b67ed19e674daf9eb15a54.jpg 

If they allow other charges to qualify some of these may apply:

1. Auto and Homeowners Insurance Policy Premiums
  2. Veterinary Bills
  3. Cell Phone Service
  4. Automotive Repairs
  5. Groceries

From the email:

Eligible bill payment categories for this offer include: direct marketing - subscription, cable, satellite, pay TV, radio, telecommunications services, club and memberships, insurance sales, and utilities.

Hi Alpo,

I would not pay anything with a card that charges me to do so.

I do use a card for almost every purchase I make due to the free rebates.

I always pay the bills when they are due.

I never pay interest for anything and have not for approximately 35 years.

Regards,

Allie

It’s interesting that I got a Cabela’s Club card to pay bills and earn points only to find my mortgage, motorcycle and utility bills wouldn’t accept credit card payments. Grrrrrrrrr

Yep find a card that rewards the way you want...and fire away.  Much safer to use credit than debit as people can’t wipe your account.  Alaska airlines is the latest one I got since I started flying them all the time.

The problem with credit cards (and there are plenty...) is that they inspire most people to spend more than they normally would spend. 

Carefully managed, a credit card can be a useful tool. Most people tend to go too far with using a credit card and keep themselves in trouble.

I'm in Canada and use Pre-Authorization to pay all my utility bills as well as my CC bill etc..

I cancelled the Air Miles card, I paid an annual fee for and I now use a no annual charge Canadian Tire "Gas Advantage" card for pay for almost everything.

With it, I now earn a 10 cent per litre discount on all my gas purchases. I run two vans, a motor home and a collector car, so it adds up to some significant near immediate savings

8 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The problem with credit cards (and there are plenty...) is that they inspire most people to spend more than they normally would spend. 

Carefully managed, a credit card can be a useful tool. Most people tend to go too far with using a credit card and keep themselves in trouble.

We've had a Carnival Mastercard for about 12 years. We put everything we can on. Pay the monthly balance every month and it costs nothing. We've cashed in thousands of dollars in points to apply to cruises, airline tix, etc. Something for nothing if used right. I used to zero it out each month, and it finally dawned on me that all I have to pay is the statement balance and play the float on THEM for the rest......until the next statement comes out of course.

JHC

Everything but the electric bill goes on a credit card - the power company charges extra for online payments, and it doesn't pencil out.

I just picked up a "free" Henry Frontier octagon .22 eleven days ago at Sheel's with my Rewards points. :)

Either that, or at an average 2% reward, it's a $20,000 .22 rifle... :mellow:

Sam's Club card pays 5% for gas, I think 3% dinning out, and 1% everything else. Buy stuff with it and pay off every month when the bill comes in. Get hundreds every February for rewards and use as I wish. They don't make a thing off me. :D

Archived