SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Cartridges

Subdeacon Joe

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

.22/.50 BMG? Seriously? This has to be a joke. 

It's the big brother to the .17 Incenerator.

Mach 5 is 3836.35 mph at sea level, which equates to 5626.64 Feet Per Second (FPS). The remarkable .17 Incinerator achieves this stunning velocity by burning over 230 grains of powder in a highly modified .50 BMG case. The velocity of this cartridge (still well over Mach 5 at 100 yards) delivers an incredible amount of energy on target. A hit literally vaporizes a varmint, as you can see from the image below.

It takes a special barrel to shoot the .17 Incinerator. Kent Wilson of Ammo-One, who helped develop this extreme wildcat, explains: “The speeds are so great we had to use a custom 3-groove, polygonal-rifling 1:20″-twist barrel to keep the bullets from disintegrating on launch. The polygonal land/groove geometry reduces bullet engraving, which also helps keep the bullets in one piece. Also we must use solids — regular jacketed bullets can’t handle these speeds”.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

What did they use a .30 Government 1901 for?

There was a military rifle between the 1898 Krag and the 1903 Springfield?

Well I know there was a round for the 1903 that was improved to make the 30-06.  But I thought that first round was 30-03.  Maybe there was a 30-01 before it. 

Think a SAA in .22/.50 would be SASS legal? Maybe too far over max velocity. Line all rifle and pistol targets up and get the all with one round

Imis

It was the 30/03.  Heavy round nose bullet designed for the new 1903 rifle. Redesigned with a lighter spitzer bullet, it became the 30/06.

That's why this ".30 of 01" has me puzzled.

23 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Think a SAA in .22/.50 would be SASS legal? Maybe too far over max velocity. Line all rifle and pistol targets up and get the all with one round

Imis

Since the bullet would likely self-destruct on exiting the barrel you would have nothing but misses.  I knew one guy who was trying to work up a really hot load for his 5.56.   Once he got over about 3650 fps he wasn't hitting paper at 50 yards.  Brought it in to 25 yards, then 5 yards.  Found a bunch of odd shaped holes in the paper.  Bullet went POOF! when it exited.

I am wondering what powder would one use in a case that big that would burn up in the time it takes for the bullet to get most of the way down the barrel. Also, how many rounds could you fire before having to clean the bore?

Never heard of a ".30 M1901", especially with a lead bullet.  Looks more like a .30-03 with a lead bullet loaded. Same with the .30 WCF "military load".   If that was indeed a .30-30, was it intended to be used in something other than a Winchester M1894? If not, then what about that round nose in a tubular magazine?  Might get away with it, but a flat point would make more sense! 

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am wondering what powder would one use in a case that big that would burn up in the time it takes for the bullet to get most of the way down the barrel. Also, how many rounds could you fire before having to clean the bore?

Probably another case for Trail Boss...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Goex ffffg

Swab bore after every shot

19 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Never heard of a ".30 M1901", especially with a lead bullet.  Looks more like a .30-03 with a lead bullet loaded. Same with the .30 WCF "military load".   If that was indeed a .30-30, was it intended to be used in something other than a Winchester M1894? If not, then what about that round nose in a tubular magazine?  Might get away with it, but a flat point would make more sense! 

Maybe it was for the model 95?  It was adopted by 1 or 2 militaries, but I thought the military rounds used were 30-40 and 7.62R.  Still, maybe they developed that 30-30 round for a military to test. 

19 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Same with the .30 WCF "military load".   If that was indeed a .30-30, was it intended to be used in something other than a Winchester M1894? If not, then what about that round nose in a tubular magazine?  Might get away with it, but a flat point would make more sense! 

Discussion of military issue 94 Winchesters in Canada during WW2, and full metal jacket ammo.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=35368.0

American Rifleman article from 2015, about Winchesters in military use, with both France and England using 94s in WW1.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/11/winchester-lever-actions-go-to-war/

Archived