SASS Wire Forum

Who can checker factory wood grips?

Diamond Curly SASS#57086

I have five pair of cap & ball revolvers that I would like to have the grips checkered. I can't afford to buy new grips  if even available for my Piettas, so I am thinking having them checkered instead. Any information is appreciated. DC

Warden , you seem to be severely talented!   Always enjoy your postings.     GW

9 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Warden , you seem to be severely talented!   Always enjoy your postings.     GW

I did better checkering 40 years ago when my eyes and hands were better.  To do these, I had to wear reading glasses that made me dizzy when I looked up and I could only work about 20 minutes before my hands or my concentration gave out. 

Come on Curly. Where's your sense of adventure ? Get out that Dremel & make some dust with it !  :o:D

19 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I have five pair of cap & ball revolvers that I would like to have the grips checkered. I can't afford to buy new grips  if even available for my Piettas, so I am thinking having them checkered instead. Any information is appreciated. DC

DC,

If maybe you want something other than plain checkering, or even if that's all you want, I'd check with Tazz.

www.KlassicLaserWorks.com

If he's not there yet, he'll be in Tombstone this week. 

First class work! 

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

DC,

If maybe you want something other than plain checkering, or even if that's all you want, I'd check with Tazz.

First class work! 

Thanks Chief, appreciate the information.  DC

18 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Come on Curly. Where's your sense of adventure ? Get out that Dremel & make some dust with it !  :o:D

Dremel tools are great.  I found out I could save time and screw things up a lot faster with a Dermel tool than I could with a file or a checkering tool...

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, Chief Rick said:

DC,

First class work! 

They are in AZ for the Winter Months.  Give Tazz a call at 603-714-1164.  They will be in the Ben Avery Area for the Winter. including Winter Range.  Right now they are bumming around and actually shooting Vs working.  But I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about your project.

He can do much more than just checker.  Take a long hard look at the Barbwire pattern.  It's one of the grippiest patterns I've ever held in my hands.  If you have an idea and a picture/file he can put whatever you want on the grips.

Are you sure that replacing the grips would cost more than hiring the checkering done?

Checkering is really not hard to do if you have a little patience, aptitude and tools. Like Warden Calloway my old eyes and the rest of the body just don't want to work for a long period of time. I would encourage anyone with an interest to pick up a few tools and have at it. You might be surprised at the results.

Checkered grips.jpg

1 minute ago, Lucky R. K. said:

Checkering is really not hard to do if you have a little patience, aptitude and tools. Like Warden Calloway my old eyes and the rest of the body just don't want to work for a long period of time. I would encourage anyone with an interest to pick up a few tools and have at it. You might be surprised at the results.

Checkered grips.jpg

Looks like you made a block to hold the one-piece grip.   Could you elaborate on how you fastened the grip to the block and any other details?

Mary's guns have brass frames and I didn't go all the way to the edge so no big problems other than handling the gun.  Well, in fact I started with roughed out grips.

5a5d0085177bd_Gripproject1Jan2018.jpg.7886634d476f69757fa68d65670f378d.jpg

In the same boat as the OP.   Like the looks and feel of checkered grips, but feel the pain at the price.  If it's just for grip problems, I have had great success by just using carnuba wax on smooth wooden grips.  If you don't have carnuba I have used Johnson's paste wax instead.  Several of my friends have been happy with the use too.     GW

13 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Are you sure that replacing the grips would cost more than hiring the checkering done?

I have to say that the price of checkering  is a lot more than I thiought. I have tried different vendors with grips for sale and none of them offered grips for Pietta but some for Uberti. It looks like I will just strip my current grips and refinish them so that they are not so slick. I guess my idea is not going to work out as I had planned. DC 

3 hours ago, G W Wade said:

In the same boat as the OP.   Like the looks and feel of checkered grips, but feel the pain at the price.  If it's just for grip problems, I have had great success by just using carnuba wax on smooth wooden grips.  If you don't have carnuba I have used Johnson's paste wax instead.  Several of my friends have been happy with the use too.     GW

I will take your advise and see how the grips feel after waxing them. Thankx, DC

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

They are in AZ for the Winter Months.  Give Tazz a call at 603-714-1164.  They will be in the Ben Avery Area for the Winter. including Winter Range.  Right now they are bumming around and actually shooting Vs working.  But I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about your project.

He can do much more than just checker.  Take a long hard look at the Barbwire pattern.  It's one of the grippiest patterns I've ever held in my hands.  If you have an idea and a picture/file he can put whatever you want on the grips.

Thank you, DC

6 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I have to say that the price of checkering  is a lot more than I thiought. I have tried different vendors with grips for sale and none of them offered grips for Pietta but some for Uberti. It looks like I will just strip my current grips and refinish them so that they are not so slick. I guess my idea is not going to work out as I had planned. DC 

I have actually had a lot of luck using tru-oil finish to reduce the slipperiness of grips, plus it gives it a really nice finish thats super easy to touch up.

2 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Does it have to be checkering?

http://www.chuckaroos.com/Grips/grips.htm

Chuckaroo did "Center Star" on my rifle grip and I love it.

http://www.chuckaroos.com/Forearms/Forearms.htm

Thanks for the info. I will check and see what he has to offer. DC

Curly - next time you shoot with Pinewood Kid, like this Sat. if yer going to Briggsdale, ask him to try his Pro Grip  product.

36 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Curly - next time you shoot with Pinewood Kid, like this Sat. if yer going to Briggsdale, ask him to try his Pro Grip  product.

Weather looks good in Briggsdale tomorrow so I will check withhim. Thanks, DC

Archived