SASS Wire Forum

Model 12 shooting in SASS Match?

diablo slim

2 minutes ago, diablo slim said:

thats what i thought too....but he was insisting they are doing it in Arizona....

Doing it don't make it right :blush:

Match directors have the ability to allow all sorts of things.   When they do, usually they are not fully SASS compliant.  

Good luck, GJ

Perhaps at a monthly match and not an actual competition? 

Aside from the fact that the Model 12 looks out of place is there any advantage to shooting a 12 vs a 97?  I mean they are both pumps and would have to start open and empty.  For a monthly match, I could understand an MD allowing a new shooter to shoot what he/she had.

18 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Perhaps at a monthly match and not an actual competition? 

Aside from the fact that the Model 12 looks out of place is there any advantage to shooting a 12 vs a 97?  I mean they are both pumps and would have to start open and empty.  For a monthly match, I could understand an MD allowing a new shooter to shoot what he/she had.

Maybe the shooter didn't have a 97 and asked if he could use his Model 12??

The advantage of the Model 12 over the Model 97 is it has half the moving parts as a 97.  They are considerably more reliable.   My M12 I use in Wild Bunch I have over 8,000 rds thru the gun without one malfunction if properly tuned. The Model 12 is not a legal shotgun in Cowboy Action only in Wild Bunch.

7 minutes ago, Goatneck Clem said:

The advantage of the Model 12 over the Model 97 is it has half the moving parts as a 97.  They are considerably more reliable.   My M12 I use in Wild Bunch I have over 8,000 rds thru the gun without one malfunction if properly tuned. The Model 12 is not a legal shotgun in Cowboy Action only in Wild Bunch.

Clem, on another note what length barrel do you cut your 12’s to? I’ve got my eye on a few that might need to be sent your way. 

Don't want to steal this post,  will shorten the barrels from 22 to 24" depending on what the shooter desires.

The misinformation posted on that Facebook thread has been refuted and resolved.

There has been NO proposal or discussion regarding a rule change to allow the use of the Model 12 shotgun for SASS matches.

The only slide action shotgun allowed is the Model 1897 Winchester shotgun, whether original or replica.

SHB p.38

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The misinformation posted on that Facebook thread has been refuted and resolved.

There has been NO proposal or discussion regarding a rule change to allow the use of the Model 12 shotgun for SASS matches.

SHB p.38

He just didn't seem to want to listen...  :wacko:

Archived