SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighters reholstering with intent to engage another set of targets

Short Term Emory

4 minutes ago, Short Term Emory said:

I know the call is a “P” for reholstering with intent to engage more targets, but can someone point me to where the books actually state the penalty?  Thanks in advance. 

SHB p.7

SHB pp.21-23 

Would one of you fine gentlemen explain this in a real scenario for me then also with an explanation as to why.

I read the Handbook on this subject and its a bit vague so a real world scenario would help clarify it for a wandering mind such as myself. 

5 minutes ago, Carolina Drifter said:

Would one of you fine gentlemen explain this in a real scenario for me then also with an explanation as to why.

I read the Handbook on this subject and its a bit vague so a real world scenario would help clarify it for a wandering mind such as myself. 

Split pistols.

thanks, I did some more reading and apparently misinterpreted  them which was why I was confused.  thank you.

I don't have the stage instructions at hand, but it was something like:

The stage props was a false wall with 2 windows on either side of a door.  There were 5 pistol targets at pistol distance straight from the left window, 5 rifle targets from the door way, and 4 shotgun targets out the right window.  There were gunwells on each side of the door for propping long guns, and tables behind the windows for staging as well.  There was stop mark from the door to make the rifle targets pistol distance.

10 rifle

2x5 pistol

4+ shotgun

Starting line:

With hands on wall and peaking out a window or door, say, "For a minute there, I thought we were in trouble!"

Guns can be shot in any order, so long as the rifle is not last.

From position A (left window) engage the 5 pistol targets starting from either end, in a single tap sweep. (5 rounds).

From any position engage the 5 rifle targets starting from either end, in a single tap sweep, twice starting both sweeps from the same end. (no dirty sweeps) make the rifle safe in a gunwell.

From position C (right window) engage the shotgun targets in any order until down and make the shotgun safe.

From position B (OR B+) engage the 5 rifle targets starting from either end in a single tap sweep. (5 rounds)

NOTE:  If engaging the the rifle targets from position B+ *BOTH* long guns MUST be made safe in either gunwell before proceeding to position B+.

Notice that it can be shot in any order so that a shooter could sweep the first 5 from A with a pistol, sweep the rifle from A (staged at A) then stage the rifle in the gunwell on that side, move to C, knock down the shotgun targets (shotgun staged at C), stage the shotgun in the other gunwell, move to B+ and take the rifle targets with the pistol at pistol distance rather than at rifle.

A gunfighter either has to shoot the rifle/shotgun first from C, putting both in a gunwell on his way to A for the first five, or start with the rifle at B, shoot the first five at A, then second five from B (rifle distance) before moving to C.

Why couldn't the Gunfighter shoot the rifle from position A, restage it;  shoot the first 5 pistol round from there, then keeping pistols in hand, (one each per), muzzles downrange, hammers down on spent rounds, move to position B, fire last  pistol rounds, re-holster;  and lastly, move to C and shoot the shogun targets. 

This is what I don't understand...

Gunfighters are not *required* to draw both pistols, they are *allowed* to.   When you get a split pistol stage, why not just shoot that stage "double duelist" style and avoid all these problems in the first place.

The one time I shot gunfighter, there was a split pistol stage, and I asked for clarification if what I just described was okay.   I was told it was.   While I was still no where near a top shooter on that stage, I felt I got through it with a lot less awkwardness than some of the more seasoned gunfighters who were putting their guns down, and picking them back up again.

36 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This is what I don't understand...

Gunfighters are not *required* to draw both pistols, they are *allowed* to.   When you get a split pistol stage, why not just shoot that stage "double duelist" style and avoid all these problems in the first place.

Because as you mentioned, you shot double duelist not gunfighter and while it's allowed many gunfighters shoot gf to shoot gf not double duelist .

What happened to the stage writer?

7 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

What happened to the stage writer?

Oh god...here comes the Hang the Stage Writer stuff.... Run him/her outta town... Like most clubs have an overabundance of folks willing to write stages :lol::lol:

You can shoot gunfighter, put them down, then pick them up and finish, or shoot double duelist, it's not hard!

Trouble is where do you find any split pistols these days?

2 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

You can shoot gunfighter, put them down, then pick them up and finish, or shoot double duelist, it's not hard!

Trouble is where do you find any split pistols these days?

And it sux!! Split pistol is fun and as a stage writer you're tarred and feathered by some if you write it into a stage...ugh!!!

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And it sux!! Split pistol is fun and as a stage writer you're tarred and feathered by some if you write it into a stage...ugh!!!

Yea, you hear the gunfighters moaning from here???:o

I love split pistols makes for more transitions and more interesting stages than just ...repeat the rifle instructions?????

Remember some stages in Florida around 2002-3-4. Shoot two rounds with the pistol, run to next window and shoot three rounds. The best worst was shoot 5 rounds from your rifle and move to the next window and shoot five rounds. The 20 year olds had senior moments.

Didn't have that stuff later. 

Let's have some fun. 11 pistol shots on the stage. Start with 5 in each revolver. ATB load one more round in one revolver and go to work. It could be a split pistol stage if you want.

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh god...here comes the Hang the Stage Writer stuff.... Run him/her outta town... Like most clubs have an overabundance of folks willing to write stages :lol::lol:

I used to write the stages at our Firelands Wednesday shoot every month and there was ALWAYS a few complaining about this and that! I would always say,"Why don't you write 'em for next month"........................you could hear crickets!:o

The obvious thing to do here was shoot it double duelist, it doesn't happen that often so what's the big deal? (BTW I am NOT a gunfighter):lol:

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Golly gosh.  Have never seen Rye even try to shoot with his "left" hand.  Didn't even know he had one :rolleyes:

Ha Ha, I've shot gunfighter a few stages at the Wednesday shoots. Did pretty good too and here you thought my left hand was only good for picking my nose!!

Archived