SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Comparison

Subdeacon Joe

ok, this is it:

Shootout: Glock 17 Handgun vs.1911A1 (Which Is Better)?

dissing the glock will get me kicked outta Toostone for ten days but to * with it.    I don't like glocks and that's all there is to that.   marketing goons, yuk.    they probably ride with them Grifters what shot up the town over the weekend.

It’s obvious there is bias in whoever created those photos. ;)

Grampaw Willie,

Why would bad-mouthing Glocks get you in trouble? People just gave their opinions.

The link you provided is a form of blogger “click bait”. There was no “test”, only words. 

From the “article”:

There is a temptation to directly compare the 1911 and Glock handguns, but the two really are a form of apples and oranges.

As for the photos...

It has always baffled me why people feel the need to pee all over another person’s choices when it doesn’t match their own. Another thing that has always baffled me is how some folks like to come off as rugged individualists yet all do the same things, say the same things and in some cases, all dress the same. Harley riders come to mind here.  It’s odd to me.

Sure, I love to bust someone’s chops all in good fun regarding Glocks, S&W’s, Japanese motorcycles vs whatever, but it’s all in good fun. 

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Hmmm.  I really like Sig but I have never tried HK.  I do think the 1911 cooks good

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It has always baffled me why people feel the need to pee all over another person’s choices when it doesn’t match their own. Another thing that has always baffled me is how some folks like to come off as rugged individualists yet all do the same things, say the same things and in some cases, all dress the same. Harley riders come to mind here.  It’s odd to me.

Sure, I love to bust someone’s chops all in good fun regarding Glocks, S&W’s, Japanese motorcycles vs whatever, but it’s all in good fun. 

So long as I don't think they are dangerous or inappropriate, I try not to be critical of someone's firearms choices. The same can be said for motorcycles and other motor vehicles. If someone asks my opinion directly, and I believe mine is somewhat informed, I will offer it. With friends, so long as someone knows it is in good fun, then no harm, no foul

I actually did a review on another forum regarding the HK VP9SK about a week and a half ago. I didn't post here because I didn't think it would be quite so relevant.

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/first-impression-hk-vp9sk.128594/

I hope to get out in the next few days to do the follow up I mention. I would add a 1911 to the mix, but mine is a Series 70 Gold Cup, so it would certainly be an apples to oranges comparison. Perhaps if I borrowed my brother's.

48 minutes ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

It's OK Pat. I took it to be in good fun. Now based on the picture, whilst I have always been a brunette admirer, I think I would like to try the hk.

I should add, that although I would like to try the hk, the gal in the 1911 picture is probably the only one who would be interested in me.

It’s obvious there is bias in whoever created those photos. ;)

Grampaw Willie,

Why would bad-mouthing Glocks get you in trouble? People just gave their opinions.

The link you provided is a form of blogger “click bait”. There was no “test”, only words. 

From the “article”:

There is a temptation to directly compare the 1911 and Glock handguns, but the two really are a form of apples and oranges.

As for the photos...

Dang I might resemble that H:lol:arley remark

Annnnnd here we go.....:rolleyes:

A Glock is light weight, but I love my CZ-85A.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Hmmm.  I really like Sig but I have never tried HK.  I do think the 1911 cooks good

I own all 3. Carried a 1911 as a LEO.

I would trust all 3 to save a life.

Wife carries a Glock 22 on her job.

OLG

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I own all 3. Carried a 1911 as a LEO.

I would trust all 3 to save a life.

Wife carries a Glock 22 on her job.

Most sensible thing I've heard all week.

12 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Hey, Sparky!!  When did sensible have anything to do with what's been said all week?:blink:

last week got deleted.    Ask Calico what she did with it.

My opinion is that they are all fine handguns. I just prefer the really ugly ones. 

Bonus - I have my name on a list at my LGS for a Ruger 9mm PC Carbine. It’ll take Glock mags as well as Ruger SR9 / Security 9 and Ruger American pistol mags. I don’t own any of the Rugers.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Must'a been a SLO week for ya. :lol:

After the Wire lost a week's worth of traffic, it was pretty much the only thing I heard all week!

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Simple to explain-The 1911 has a soul. ;)

I liked the way a gun reviewer said it: "Shooting a 1911 is like shaking hands with John Wayne."

My opinion is that they are all fine handguns. I just prefer the really ugly ones. 

Bonus - I have my name on a list at my LGS for a Ruger 9mm PC Carbine. It’ll take Glock mags as well as Ruger SR9 / Security 9 and Ruger American pistol mags. I don’t own any of the Rugers.

You will enjoy the Ruger PC Carbine.  I had access to one and it jammed at first so it was sent back to Ruger on Monday and was retuned by Friday running like a race car.  they replaced the extractor and barrel.  i know a fellow that put a nylon ammo pouch on the sling near the stock to hold a spare magazine.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Obviously field stripping the HK and Sig is more fun.

When it dawned on me, I darn near choked on my coffee.

"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."

I think the Marshal is on to something...:lol:

Here’s an interesting article that I thought was interesting about .45 ACP and 9mm in regards to the Army switching from 1911’s to M9s years ago. 

The obviously staged WW2 photo is entertaining...

https://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/9x19mm-round-doesnt-suck/amp

Archived