SASS Wire Forum

jerry Miculek S & W 45 auto revolver

Trigger Mike

My local store has had two for over a year now.  they get dry fired a lot evidently due to the cylinder ring.  no one is buying them though.  He wants 899.  he has said he can go to 800.  are they worth it?  

I liked the one I had, but put a lighter wolff spring kit and a extended firing pin in it.  Dry firing a Smith won't hurt it, Ed McGivern dry fired his guns a ton of times, and he didn't have snap caps.  As far as $800 goes, that's OK.

I shot one a couple months ago and it was a nice shooting pistol. There is always a need for action work on factory guns.

The 45 acp loads are cheaper to purchase than many other rounds. If you're going to shoot it often it's worth it. Especially, if it will be used for Steel Challenge or NRA Action matches.

Howdy,

I have fired a 1989 five inch smith 625 acp and its very accurate in my hands and others.

Asprin bottle at 40 yards accurate enuf?

I don't recall a heavy ring.  That might hurt the value a little or a lot.

I don't remember Jerry anybody working on that one.

Check around on price but Id bet you get accurate there.

Best

CR

I would check some of the online auction sites. Me thinks your dealer could go lower on that price...especially since he / she has been letting folks dry fire it.

My 2 centavos.

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would check some of the online auction sites. Me thinks your dealer could go lower on that price...especially since he / she has been letting folks dry fire it.

My 2 centavos.

Yeah, for over a year.

Just out of curiousity , I looked on GunBroker at JM 625s , the lowest starting bid for a NIB was 769.99 , Highest was something like 925.00. Most were in the 800.s ; lowest start on a used one was 700 , if memory didn't fade in the last 5 minutes.

Rex :D

Bought a lightly used one on the Wire for $750 with a bunch of moon clips. Seems like a fair price for new. Use it for IDPA with light loads. Its a big critter and an acquired taste. Th JM is really about the grips, not the tuning.  It is also built like a tank; should last forever. Cylinder rings happen, no big deal unless you want to keep it in a pristine condition in a glass display case.

Church Key  

2 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Just out of curiousity , I looked on GunBroker at JM 625s , the lowest starting bid for a NIB was 769.99 , Highest was something like 925.00. Most were in the 800.s ; lowest start on a used one was 700 , if memory didn't fade in the last 5 minutes.

Rex :D

You always want to look at hte completed auction when looking at values on GunBroker.  What people ask and what guns actually sell for can be quite different.

I bought a rifle recently off GB.  For $200 less than one guys asking price. The rifle I bought is in better shape and the top of the receiver doesn't have the 4 extra holes that don't belong plugged by Mickey Mouse's gun smithing cousin.

Rings around the cylinder don't happen because of dry firing. They happen when the cylinder is closed out of alignment with the (bolt) cylinder stop and then rotated until it clicks into the cylinder cut. It drags on the bluing and marks it until the bolt locks into place If your gun is timed and you learn how to close it properly, it will never get the tell-tale cylinder drag ring. Just sayin '

Big Jake

Archived