SASS Wire Forum

What's an "Outlaw"?

Smoky Pistols

This may be a silly question, but I have seen several post referencing people "shooting Outlaw" or matches that "welcome outlaws".  What the hell is an outlaw???  I know I'm a bit thick sometimes, but I don't see it in the rulebook--I may have missed it, but help a cowpoke out!

Pistols shot duelist or gunfighter style, not using sights, shotgun shot from the hip. Rifle is shot normally from the shoulder..... it’s a lot of fun

Give this webpage a look and see if this is a style you would enjoy, there is a pretty good group of us and seems to be growing.

Outlaws

23 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

This may be a silly question, but I have seen several post referencing people "shooting Outlaw" or matches that "welcome outlaws".  What the hell is an outlaw???  I know I'm a bit thick sometimes, but I don't see it in the rulebook--I may have missed it, but help a cowpoke out!

C'mon now.  You looked in a RULEBOOK for OUTLAWS?  Just think about that while you sit in the corner. 

Personally, I like shooting my pistols outlaw style (point shooting), but I can't get the hang of hipshooting the shotgun.  I'm not sure if that makes me a halflaw, and in-law, or an outlaw amongst outlaws. 

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

C'mon now.  You looked in a RULEBOOK for OUTLAWS?  Just think about that while you sit in the corner. 

Personally, I like shooting my pistols outlaw style (point shooting), but I can't get the hang of hipshooting the shotgun.  I'm not sure if that makes me a halflaw, and in-law, or an outlaw amongst outlaws. 

Your not "in", your not "out"...Hmmm, I know. 

You are "blocking the door".  :D

I tried shooting Outlaw (not at a match) and I didn't do too bad on the revolvers. On the shotgun went through about 8 shells to knock down one target. Then on the 9th or 10th round I got the web of my hind stuck under the top lever. That was enough. ;)

We had this category at the PA State Match this past weekend.  They shot all firearms from the hip to include the rifle.

8 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

We had this category at the PA State Match this past weekend.  They shot all firearms from the hip to include the rifle.

Shooting rifle from the hip is optional - mainly, pistols & shotgun point shot from the hip - pistols are shot one handed.  Takes practice and you will go through some ammo until you get it down but it is a lot of fun.

Archived