SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 cartidge

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

I know nothing about it.  What I do know is bottle neck cartridges like .44-40 and .38-40 do a nice job of sealing the chamber against blowback, especially when compared to the straight wall .45 Colt.

The .45-70 and it's variants used a tapered case, but basically it's a straight wall. How does this cartridge perform regarding blowback? Does the volume of BP powder negate that? What about smokeless loadings?

I shoot a Trapdoor clone, a Sharps clone, a Rolling Block clone and an 1885 clone, all using Trail Boss under a 350 grain lead bullet.

The accuracy charges vary a bit, but all seem to shoot better with a "healthy" charge driving the bullet.

I recommend you pick up a couple of loading manuals for some good info on loading the .45-70

I shoot a Trapdoor clone with black powder.  Never had a problem with blowback.  I would highly recommend seeking out the book:  Loading cartridges for the original .45-70 Springfield rifle and carbine by J. S. Wolf and Pat Wolf.  It is the bible for many Trapdoor shooter and has the most research on the .45-70 I've ever seen.

I shoot 45-70 (smokeless so far) in a Double Rifle, Sharps and an 1886 (Pedersoli) with a mix of light, medium, heavy and where the hell did my teeth go:o loads

I use a 4198 equivelant (its an ADI powder- 2207) and Trail Boss and have never had a problem with any of them.

The TB cases may need a little more cleaning than the 2207 but nothing drastic.

I shoot my trapdoor clone using real FFG black powder with no issues with blowback. I used to shoot 535 grain bullets with a heavy load of black but now shoot o ly 405 grain bullets and cut back the powder for a more enjoyable experience. I tried the IMR 4198 once and no issues with blowback either. Good advice on the books mentioned before you start loading the 45/70 round. Be safe and have fun.

Paul Mathews, also has several books out on care and feeding of the .45-70 ...

Ken Waters, "Pet Loads"  has great info on the .45-70

Steve Garbe , also ...

Jabez Cowboy

Hi Slim,  check the manuals for smokeless loads. You shouldn’t see any blowback especially with BP.  Recoil with BP is more of a push rather than the slap you’ll get from smokeless.  The load you use will depend upon the game your playing. 

Good luck and have fun.

Gringo

Slim,

I buy my 45-70 ammo from Buffalo Arms. BP and smokeless. Takes all the guesswork out of things.

;)

The 45-70 is one of the most versatile cartridges ever designed.  It can be downloaded for use on small game or be loaded to take on any thing you could hunt in the America's.

Bullet weights can be a low as 144 gr round balls to 600+ grain behemoths.

Depending on the selected projectile velocities can be a low as 500 fps to over 2500 fps. Of course this also means that Recoil can be almost non-existent to painfully punishing.

With proper bullet selection a lot of African big game animals can also be taken with a 45-70.

The Achilles heel for the 45-70 is its rainbow like trajectory. However with proper range finding equipment even this can be mitigated.

7 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I don't own a big bore cartridge rifle but am considering long range shooting in the future. Just starting to do some research.

Long range is SO MUCH FUN!  I shot other people’s big bore guns before I got my own!  I’m as excited about the LR shooting at Florida State Match as I am the main match because it’s 200, 300 & 400 yards!!  I ahoot a Browning 1885 High Wall Traditional Hunter. I use a 405 grain bullet and Buffalo Rifle Powder (imported by ShootersWorldSC.com) full disclosure my husband reps for the company but it’s great Powder. Feel free to pm me if you’d like more information. 

Look forward to seeing you at the long range side matches!

Big hugs, 

Scarlett

Archived