SASS Wire Forum

Changing barrel on a 66

Rafe Conager SASS #56958

Ok here goes, I have a 66 uberti rifle that I want to change to a carbine, I have everything I need to make the switch. Barrel mag tube, springs, forearm etc. I am an ok tinker, however I know that to change everything out I need to worry about head spacing etc. So my question is just how difficult is it to change out? Should I just take it to a Smith? How much should I expect to pay to have the work done? My goal is to get this rifle to be my main match gun. I have been using it as such but after years of using long barrel rifles, I started playing with my wife's 66 carbine in .38 and like the way it swings hate the caliber but like the shorter barrel so I found everything I need to make the change. Any one taken this leap? Just how hard is it to switch things out? Don't want to mess with it for weeks just to have to take it to a Smith. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Rafe

I've changed a couple of barrels.

It can be quite a pain, sometimes....

The first one I did was an octagon barrel '73 I wanted to change from a 24" 45 LC to a 20" 38WCF

And it actually went pretty smooth, I got the old barrel off and the new one on it lined up just perfect, 

I got very lucky, the headspace was right on, there were no major problems.

It was a lot of work, but I learned alot..... I ended up selling the gun a few months later.

My second one was a different story mainly because of round barrels, which are pain in the butt to unscrew.

Nothing lined up, the headspace was too wide and just about everything that could go wrong did.

I finally got it finished, after a couple of trips to the gunsmith. 

I still have it & shoot it occasionally and it Still has all the scratches in the barrel.

I've never had the desire to do another.....

I would recommend just buying a different gun.

Unless you are trying to make one in a rare caliber, it might be worth a shot trading your rifle for a carbine.  Or sell your rifle and buy a carbine. 

A sort of local smith charges $800 for most re-barrel jobs, but that includes the cost of the new barrel.  He might charge less if I already had the barrel on hand, maybe $600?

IF-You are staying with the caliber the rifle is now. Just cut the barrel and mag tube down and mill in sights and such as need'd.

You did not say if you are changing caliber-In that case, just buy the rifle........

OLG

2 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Ok here goes, I have a 66 uberti rifle that I want to change to a carbine, I have everything I need to make the switch. Barrel mag tube, springs, forearm etc. I am an ok tinker, however I know that to change everything out I need to worry about head spacing etc. So my question is just how difficult is it to change out? Should I just take it to a Smith? How much should I expect to pay to have the work done? My goal is to get this rifle to be my main match gun. I have been using it as such but after years of using long barrel rifles, I started playing with my wife's 66 carbine in .38 and like the way it swings hate the caliber but like the shorter barrel so I found everything I need to make the change. Any one taken this leap? Just how hard is it to switch things out? Don't want to mess with it for weeks just to have to take it to a Smith. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Rafe

It is not difficult IF you have the proper tools and knowledge to do it.  Do you have a barrel vice and an action wrench?  If not then take it to someone that does.  You will be money ahead and save a great deal of frustration.

If everything fits it's a piece of cake, but I've never seen everything fit and most adjustments require more than non smiths want to contend with.

J.M.

4 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

If everything fits it's a piece of cake, but I've never seen everything fit and most adjustments require more than non smiths want to contend with.

J.M.

Piece of cake for you . . . . but not for me . . .  :lol:

6 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

IMO. you'd be better off selling that rifle and get yourself a carbine.  Just my .02 cents.:)

I agree with this statement. Most of those conversions were not cost effective. J.M.

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IF-You are staying with the caliber the rifle is now. Just cut the barrel and mag tube down and mill in sights and such as need'd.

You did not say if you are changing caliber-In that case, just buy the rifle........

OLG

+1

Cutting the bbl down, and moving the mag tube back is not a big deal then.

I've done this, and never had to remove the bbl from the rec'r.

I did use a Bridgeport series 3 vertical mill with digital readouts for X,Y & Z.

OLG

I am a tinkerer, and have a solid aversion to paying other people to do things for me that I could possibly do myself. So I would do it, and have. In fact, I assume you are talking about the barrel assembly I sold you. I am not a professional gunsmith by any means, but if you want to know how I would do it as a layman, I'd be glad to give you free advice. On the whole, it isn't too difficult if all fits well, but if it doesn't, then you will need at least a lathe to get the proper headspace. But as long as you are careful and don't scratch everything up, it shouldn't cost any more for a good gunsmith to mount your barrel if it is all apart, so you don't really have anything to lose. Might even be cheaper.

The OP already has all the parts.  I would take it to a gunsmith and get a quote on the work.  If, for example, the quote is $200.00 you cannot buy a replacement rifle for $200.00.  Selling or trading can be a PITA and a lot of people simply want to keep what they have.  OP get a quote.  Then you will know if it will be worth it.

Archived