SASS Wire Forum

Sleeping at Night

Texas Lizard

Valerian and Skullcap is you want to go herbal.  Or melatonin: A hormone that regulates the normal sleep/wake cycle, “melatonin can be used in supplement form as an occasional sleep aid, and is especially effective against jet lag,” Dr. Andrew Weil, founder and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, says. According to research, the body naturally produces melatonin after the sun goes down, letting us know it’s time to fall asleep. Supplemental melatonin assists with this process. When combined with light therapy, melatonin helps minimize nighttime restlessness in elderly dementia patients, according to a 2008 study.. "

Also, get the program that will give a red cast to your computer after sunset - blue light seems to inhibit sleep:  http://www.thesleepdoctor.com/2017/11/06/latest-blue-light-sleep/

Melatonin and Passion flower are herbal sleep aids that work well for me. I used to use Benadryl, sominex, etc but I’ve found that the herbal sleep aids work better without the hang over in the morning.

Talk to your doctor about having a sleep study done.  You may have sleep apnea.  

Using a CPAP has changed my life and my wife’s as well.

I know ya said "no pills," but a simple diphenhydramine (Benadryl) over-the-counter allergy caplet works well.  Even 1/2 should work.

But if you have apnea, get that addressed first. Those of us in the "Hose-Nose Brigade" sleep well!  :)

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Also, get the program that will give a red cast to your computer after sunset - blue light seems to inhibit sleep:  http://www.thesleepdoctor.com/2017/11/06/latest-blue-light-sleep/

THIS. Blue light emitted by electronics and energy efficient bulbs will definitely cause sleep disorders.

Q&A: Why Is Blue Light before Bedtime Bad for Sleep?
Is Blue Light Bad For Your Health?

57 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

THIS. Blue light emitted by electronics and energy efficient bulbs will definitely cause sleep disorders.

Q&A: Why Is Blue Light before Bedtime Bad for Sleep?
Is Blue Light Bad For Your Health?

Also keep in mind that while blue light is most disruptive of sleep, ALL light can inhibit sleep.  Make your bedroom as dark as possible.  

TL,

I will back J-Bar’s recommendation. Get a sleep study done. I use a Bi-Pap machine. Really weird at first but it has helped me tremendously. If they find you have sleep apnea they may recommend a CPAP or BiPAP machine. They will fit you with a mask. Yes, a mask...and don’t discard the idea of it because of having to use a mask. It does not take long to get used to it. But, if this is the diagnosis I highly recommend being a severe pain in the Doctor’s butt about trying every mask until you find one that fits. My Doc had me try just one mask with a couple of different inserts to fit over my nose. She didn’t want me to tighten the mask “because the mask is made to lightly rest against the skin.” Bull! Try several types.

Now, about liquor and sleep. It actually is disruptive to your sleep cycles. Sure, you go to sleep fine but you do not go through the stages of sleep like you’re supposed to. On occasion it should be fine but not every night and no to excess.

Melatonin. If you dream you will REALLY dream using melatonin. I wouldn’t use it regularly because over time your body will stop creating it as you have enough in your system and that is not healthy. It can cause problems with extended use.

Benadryl - used on occasion it’s good but do not get into the habit of using it every night. Over time it will slow down your mental capacity and responsiveness. You won’t know it but others may.

I have joint pain so I will take 1 or 2 Ibuprofen PM at night and they help me sleep really well. But I do not use it but maybe once or twice a week. The “PM” OTC pain meds all have something similar to Benadryl in them so the same precautions should be followed as I mentioned regarding Benadryl. 

Alternating all of these could help but your goal should be good sleep without chemically stimulating sleep.

Get a sleep study and go from there.

I do wish you luck and a quick solution to your problem. 

I haven't slept all night over a hand full of times in the past 30 years.   I'll get to sleep and mother nature wakes me up after four or five hours. By the time I take care of that, I'm awake. I'll lie in bed and try to go back to sleep but my old body hurts. So I don't fight it. I get up, get dressed out and go do some reloading,  tinker with a gun, or watch an old movie. Sometimes I'll get sleepy and go back to bed for a couple of hours. Sometimes that works but often not. 

Since we've retired,  I don't worry about it.  The only time it causes a problem is on days we have a shooting match.  By the time the match starts I've likely been up knocking around 8 hours or more. By the time we're done, 12, so I'm pretty tired. 

I've been rotating shift worker for 25 years. I've tried everything. And even though I can better moderate my sleep I still have had jet lag for 25 years. Constantly rotating on a 12 hour shift is the most disruptive thing for your sleep cycle a person can do. Your body never quite recovers so I'm very familiar with this topic. However, the remedy I found for me is melatonin, ibuprofen and staying hydrated. Otherwise make your bedroom as dark as possible and I second, third and fourth the notion of absolutely no electronic interference or light. The only electronic device I have in my bedroom is a digital alarm clock. No TV, no radio, no nothing. I have also found that a little bit of white noise in the background like having a ceiling fan or an oscillating fan going really helps moderate a constant audio diversion of outside ambient noise. I have also found that I generally sleep deeper in cooler temperatures.

Good luck!

Spray Sleep works better for me than the benadryl tablets.  https://sprayable.co/pages/products/  11/19/2017

Don't use it every night as after a while it doesn't work as well.  You spray about an hour before you want to go to sleep.  You need to be able to get 7-8 hours of sleep after using it so don't use it if you can only sleep for 4 or 5 hours before having to get up.

As mentioned before, you must get the room DARK which means no light at all even from digital clocks or from windows.  Also don't use your computer just before you want to go to sleep because as mentioned before the blue light keeps you awake.

Also as mentioned, get a sleep study because if you have sleep apnea, this is a serious health problem.

Now that I'm retired and don't have to get up early most mornings unless I have some kind of appointment, waking up during the night doesn't bother me like it did when I knew I had to get up and face a full day teaching school.  If I can't get back to sleep in half an hour, I read or watch TV knowing I can take a nap the next day anytime I want.  Somehow the lack of pressure to get back to sleep sometimes makes it easier to get back to sleep. 

I have also found that if I set the sleep timer on the TV, I often fall back asleep faster than just lying there in the dark trying to get back to sleep.

Man Made Alcohol.

GOD Made Pot 

Pot will help you sleep .

Alcohol will Not !

Rooster 

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Man Made Alcohol.

GOD Made Pot 

Pot will help you sleep .

Alcohol will Not !

Rooster 

Alcohol will sure help you GET to sleep though. ^_^