SASS Wire Forum

value of Colt 1917 45

Trigger Mike

what is the current value of a Colt Model 1917 US Property marked?  the number inside the cylinder as well as the part that connects the cylinder to the frame both match.  I'd say around 75% finish left.  I'd like to sell it to make room and money for other things.

Lots of variables:  import marks, mechanical condition, bore condition, etc..

The internet can be your friend.

You local gunshop may know of a collector or re-enactor.

Trigger Mike,

These can be found from a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars and more if they have some historical significance.

Honestly, you should look for someone that deals in military guns to get an idea on it's value and then get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Often a gun's worth is not what you get for it from a dealer. Probably 70% would be more accurate in this regard.

Since you are near Atlanta I would say that you should be able to find a military gun dealer in the area to talk wo about this.

Matching serial numbers is a very good bonus, for sure.

PR

13 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

i left atlanta and now live in a small town in south georgia.  Vidalia.  NO ONE seems to appreciate military weapons here.  

But they apppreciate onions!

yes they do very much.  they make a big to do about harvest time and celebrate.  sadly bill gates bought one of the major family farms down here and they are going to develop  it and put buildings, maybe a hotel on it.

The 1917 Colt commands better prices than the 1917 Smith.  Does it have the original wood stocks?  The sticking point is the 75%, I'd ask $650.

What someone is willing to pay .

Start high !

Its easier to go down .

Then it is to go up :huh:

it has the original grips BUT I had it in a pistol bag and stumbled and it fell out of the bag so the grip came off so now I will sell  it for a lot less than planned.  its probably around 90% finish but i like to be conservative on that due to the internet.  I took it to 2 stores in town and both agreed it looks excellent.  one of them wants me to bring it today as the owner has an interested based on the workers phone call description.

Archived