SASS Wire Forum

Small Claims Court?

Well, the PCM on this rig is behind the dash, sorta above the clutch pedal.  One accesses it by standing on one's head, leaning over backward from the passenger seat. 

Access to the O2 sensor harness requires removing the driver seat.  Which we did... multiple times.  The heater circuit wires on this model are both black; we tested for continuity and proper resistance through the sensor - both good.  Also checked for power - good.  Checked ground - good.  Re-seated all harness plugs at the PCM; visually inspected all for signs of corrosion or dirty contacts - all bright.

Oh... and yep... we used copper "Never Sneeze" on the sensor.  ^_^

At this point, just for "poops and giggles" and since she's not going anywhere, I might just pull the driver's seat again, disconnect the plug, lightly tweak the contacts to ensure they fit tightly and add a shmear of dielectric.  But after five hours of intense professional diagnostics, I'd be surprised (although happily so!) if that resolved the problem. :)

Me and "Zelda" :

Zelda and Rod 2.JPG

25 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But after five hours of intense professional diagnostics, I'd be surprised (although happily so!) if that resolved the problem. :)

I have news for ya, most of the time unless a computer tells them what to do most of these guys can't troubleshoot to save their lives.

Har!

I'm inclined to agree!  And indeed they did have all sorts of computer stuff, but the report indicates they also did exactly what the Kid and I did, with test lamps and multitesters.  And even then, it was their national tech support center who told them the PCM needed replacing.  

Howdy,

there is a place in Colorado called flyin Miata.

They rebuild and customize Miata all the livelong day.

You might ask them if they have any ideas on quick fix or even

parts leftover from building race or rally cars.

Might look to see how far they live from your ranch?

Best

CR

In 1983, I sold a small business to a girl that worked there for me. She gave me cash and assumed all outstanding bills. There was one account that she wasn't paying and they were coming after me for the balance of $2000.00..I took her to small claims court and since she didn't show up I was automatically awarded the judgement. She never paid and I had to take the judgement to a lawyer and he put a lien on the business. (which cost me about $500.00) She never did pay it and she went bankrupt a couple years later. I wound up having to pay the bill. Small claims court did %$#@ for me! :angry:

CR, I'm quite familiar with Flyin' Miata.  In fact, I have a new timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, new idlers, and specialized tools from 'em.  As soon as I get this other nonsense worked out I'll be installing 'em...

Ry, that totally sucks. :(

In my case, I don't want any money from 'em.... I just want 'em to fix it.  <_<

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

CR, I'm quite familiar with Flyin' Miata.  In fact, I have a new timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, new idlers, and specialized tools from 'em.  As soon as I get this other nonsense worked out I'll be installing 'em...

Ry, that totally sucks. :(

In my case, I don't want any money from 'em.... I just want 'em to fix it.  <_<

Ya know, HP, it just occurred to me....after running them through the Small Claims process, I'm not sure you want them stickin' their fingers and such into your engine.....

Just a thought.  Maybe take the money and have someone else do the work?

LL

Oooh...Loophole has a point.

Hardpan,

I am leery of small claims courts as they have no teeth. Between us, my wife and I have been to SCC 3 times. Even though we won twice we lost all 3 times. The 2 times we won the dirtbags didn't pay and they owned no property or business so there was no way to put a lien against them. The 1 time we won the plaintiff was lying and brought witnesses that weren't even around when the incident occurred but the judge was in a hurry and found against us. The $360 judgment wasn't worth the hassle of going to court so we ended up paying in the end just to get clear of it....Grrrr :angry:

Here is what I would do. I would formulate a bad review. A very bad honest review of what occurred and how it occurred. I would leave conjecture and speculation out of it, but I would use emotion to convey your utter disappointment. I would email that review to the entire management staff, including Mazda Corp and the owner(s) of the dealership and let them know that this review will be posted on every website and or medium that allows you to rate businesses. Tell them it will be on facebook, twitter, yelp, local sites, etc. Give them fair warning. Use the same exact review on every site. This way they know exactly where it came from. Tell them you are gonna Zoom Zoom Zoom this review to everywhere that you can. This may get you some action. 

PR

Yeah, Loophole, I had that same thought.  

The unfortunate thing is that only Mazda has access to the proprietary computer stuff for programming the keys and fobs... 

There is another dealership about twenty miles farther - reviews are not very good.  After that it's at least an hour and a half drive to the next dealership.

But I'm pondering it! :)

I admire your tenacity in the face of such opposition, and I wish you success in your Quixotic efforts.

I also think life is to short too tilt at very many windmills.  Why not trade the car off for something more reliable, take the hit in the wallet, and enjoy driving again?

On 7/31/2017 at 6:33 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The Better Business Bureau is a PRIVATE BUSINESS. 

It has no power over anyone.

It has the power of bullying.  You report them to the BBB, then the BBB recruits the business to become a member so they can get the complaint cleared up.  A business being a member of the BBB is generally a bad sign to me.  It means they had complaints to fix. 

I've had one (too many) experiences with the BBB. I reported a dry cleaner for destroying several expensive, brand name, wool suits. I sent photos, price tags (I used to save everything, no longer as it a waste of space), and detailed explanations of the damage. The business owner said I was "basically" trying to extort  money from them. Seriously when the lining shrinks in several wool suits so they pucker at all of the seams during cleaning, whose fault is that? IMO, it can't be the customer's. :rolleyes:

Moral of the story is forget the BBB. They are a scam on consumers as they take money from stores to keep their record clean.

Pat, please hide this post if you feel it is inappropriate. At least I've vented. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

I admire your tenacity in the face of such opposition, and I wish you success in your Quixotic efforts.

I also think life is to short too tilt at very many windmills.  Why not trade the car off for something more reliable, take the hit in the wallet, and enjoy driving again?

F-O-R-D does NOT stand for "Fix Or Repair Daily".  In fifty years my wife and I have owned Buick's, Ford's, Mercury's and a Lincoln Town Car.  Overall, I have had less maintenance problems with Ford Motor Company products than any GM item!  We don't trade-in vehicles.  Just run 'em until we can't get parts anymore, and then sell them to individuals who are told the status of the vehicle.  Generally take the Lincoln and my Expedition (only 136,000 miles so far) to the local Lincoln dealer for servicing, except when some idiot turned right in front of the Expedition and creamed the right front corner.  Insurance companies took care of that.

Archived