SASS Wire Forum

new target. thoughts appreciated

evil dogooder

Rainy day here so i was playing in the shop.  One thing led to another and i came up with a new idea to me.

I took a Texas star and on one plate fastened a eyelet. Ran a string from that eyelet down to the center through another one out the back to trip bar for a popper.  Then i painted the plate a different color. 

So... My idea was start with the star. You have to shoot the odd color plate last.  When it falls it trips the thrower and tossed a clay. That plate falling actuates a second thrower with the second clay.

Now you have the shotgun staged in front of you.  There is just enough time to put down the rifle, pick up the shotgun and load. But you better hurry.

I kinda like it...  

It works but you better not fumble the grab or load.

3 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

That is what I was thinking, if you star is spinning your string is going to be all caddy wompis. 

Curios minds want to know 

Star rotates as usual. The key is to have enough slack in the line. About 4 inches with the eyelets it doesn't get tangled. I did put a small portion of jb weld on the back one where the ring closes. That way it's a smooth circle.  It took a few tries to get the slack right.  I tried spinning for 2 minutes straight to get it to pull off. I figure nobody will let it spin that long.

It just dawned on me you are probably expecting a standard star.   This is one i made myself out of an old wagon wheel.  It has a hole in the center instead of a solid bearing. The line passes through so it can't get tangled in the stand.

Mr. Evil try this. Attach a sprocket to the back of the star. Run a bicycle chain from sprocket to another sprocket attached to a heavy duty grill rotisserie motor that you also attach to the star's support pole. Cover motor with a protective steel plate. You now have a motorized star or a Merry Go Round. Use a dimmer switch so you can control the speed.

Major BS

9 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Star rotates as usual. The key is to have enough slack in the line. About 4 inches with the eyelets it doesn't get tangled. I did put a small portion of jb weld on the back one where the ring closes. That way it's a smooth circle.  It took a few tries to get the slack right.  I tried spinning for 2 minutes straight to get it to pull off. I figure nobody will let it spin that long.

It just dawned on me you are probably expecting a standard star.   This is one i made myself out of an old wagon wheel.  It has a hole in the center instead of a solid bearing. The line passes through so it can't get tangled in the stand.

That makes sense. I was wondering if you bored the shaft. Now I see. 

36 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Mr. Evil try this. Attach a sprocket to the back of the star. Run a bicycle chain from sprocket to another sprocket attached to a heavy duty grill rotisserie motor that you also attach to the star's support pole. Cover motor with a protective steel plate. You now have a motorized star or a Merry Go Round. Use a dimmer switch so you can control the speed.

Major BS

I don't have a rotisserie motor..... However i think i have an old dodger 440 sitting around here that runs.. :)

29 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Major BS

Rotisserie motors are induction type; so, a light dimmer won't work.  You need an $$$$$ variable frequency drive.  The only types of motors that work with variable voltage constant frequency are wound rotor motors that have commutators like hand power tools.

Care must taken to prevent the stage from becoming a DQ trap.  I.E the rifle isn't set on table with unfired round in the lifter or magazine.

Myself, I wasn't as curious as to how it worked, but more how evil do-gooder came up with the idea in the first place.

Then it came to me.....  59725fcce53c2_EvilGeniusKid-RESIZED.jpg.8596cad77d516972491c1b649c445be8.jpg

Bob it is... I even played it with 2 single shot shotguns and a revolver...  It's hard as heck if you use charcoal instead

15 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Myself, I wasn't as curious as to how it worked, but more how evil do-gooder came up with the idea in the first place.

Then it came to me.....  59725fcce53c2_EvilGeniusKid-RESIZED.jpg.8596cad77d516972491c1b649c445be8.jpg

Hey Now.... You should see some of the trick shot stuff i have.  

I've got a shotgun target actuated by a knockdown that tosses between 3 and 5 pieces of charcoal into the air. It looks like a weighted paddle wheel turned sideways

40 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

My only hope would he that the thrower tosses the birds about 50' straight up, and they come down on little parachutes!

Haha nope they go about 12' high

Archived