SASS Wire Forum

Age based categories

Nevada Jim

Checking the Shooters Handbook posted on-line, 2016 version, I don't find aged based categories beyond Elder Statesman/Grand Dame (70+).

I thought there were "new" categories for 75+ (Cattle Baron) & 80+ (Grand Patron) ?

Some help finding a reference to these new categories would be a big help.

Thx,

Nevada Jim

Bucaroo

Cowboy

Wrangler

49er

Senior

Silver Senior

Elder Statesman

And equivalent ladies categories.

31 minutes ago, Nevada Jim said:

Checking the Shooters Handbook posted on-line, 2016 version, I don't find aged based categories beyond Elder Statesman/Grand Dame (70+).

I thought there were "new" categories for 75+ (Cattle Baron) & 80+ (Grand Patron) ?

Some help finding a reference to these new categories would be a big help.

Thx,

Nevada Jim

You are correct. Those categories are not in the Handbook.

You won't find Elders Statesman B Western either. :)

Those categories are being used at lots of shoots, even very large ones, but they are not as yet official SASS categories.  One of the options that a shoot director has.

RBK

75+ (Cattle Baron) & 80+ (Grand Patron) are listed categories at End of Trail, Winter Range & Bordertown, so obviously there is interest in these categories.

And I thought there had been some discussion/action at the recent TG meeting?

18 minutes ago, Nevada Jim said:

I'm looking for the left-handed, Baptist, Arizona frontier cartridge, silver senior category. :huh:

You'r out of luck, not enough water for baptizing in Aridzona.

3 hours ago, Nevada Jim said:

I'm looking for the left-handed, Baptist, Arizona frontier cartridge, silver senior category. :huh:

Well, I am only 50 and I am from Massachusetts.

But I do shoot left handed.

And of course, I am a Baptist.

Genericaly there has been discussion in the past about what the Baptist Category should entail.

Aside from the obvious no shooting on Sundays, I always felt that there would be a requirement that you had to carry a Scofied.   But not neccesarily a Schofield.  Or is that they other way around?

Categories have always been a tough issue. It's hard to come up with something that is equally unfair to everyone. :blink:

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Genericaly there has been discussion in the past about what the Baptist Category should entail.

Aside from the obvious no shooting on Sundays,

No cross draw holsters:huh:..........you might be tempted twist yer hips or to do the Dance:o No cross draw dancing or hip twisting allowed:(:ph34r:

You can't shoot in the baptist category if you use a Crown Royal bag for yer empty brass, right?

I think SASS has all the age groups covered.  All tough, with nowhere to hide.  Look at the top 100 and the age groups are well represented.  There is many outstanding gunfighters, black powder shooters and a duelist who is killing it.  Great events at the National and World competitions!!!!  Thanks to everyone for all the hard work. 

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

You can't shoot in the baptist category if you use a Crown Royal bag for yer empty brass, right?

Right;)........ to shoot in the Baptist category your gun cart has to have a place to hide the liquor:rolleyes::ph34r:

Grandma used to hide hers behind the phonograph that we were not allowed to listen to:( unless of course it was Tennessee Ernie Ford or Jim Reeves:o "There Will Be Peace in the Valley":)

Archived