SASS Wire Forum

Question about a Ruger Bisley

Nickel City Dude

Can anyone tell me what makes a Bisley desirable.  I know it has larger grips that are shaped a little different than the regular Viquero.  But that is all I know.  Are the frames about the same as a Colt clone and will one fit in a holster made for a Colt clone?  I like the way they look that is why I am asking. Any other info you have about the benefits of the Bisley over a Colt style would be appreciated.

What makes you think a Bisley is desirable?  If that were so then the Vaquero would not be outselling the Bisley by 100 to 1.  What makes the Bisley desirable to some shooters is the grip frame and lower hammer.  Some shooters like the feel.  The only way for you to know if you will like it is to shoot one.  The New Vaquero Bisley has the same frame as a New Vaquero.  So any holster that will fit a New Vaquero will fit a new Bisley.  Most will fit in a Colt clone holster.  The old Vaquero and Bisley variant had a larger frame.  They will not fit in most Colt size holsters.

28 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What makes you think a Bisley is desirable?  If that were so then the Vaquero would not be outselling the Bisley by 100 to 1.  What makes the Bisley desirable to some shooters is the grip frame and lower hammer.  Some shooters like the feel.  The only way for you to know if you will like it is to shoot one.  The New Vaquero Bisley has the same frame as a New Vaquero.  So any holster that will fit a New Vaquero will fit a new Bisley.  Most will fit in a Colt clone holster.  The old Vaquero and Bisley variant had a larger frame.  They will not fit in most Colt size holsters.

+1

I shoot both. Vaquero Bisleys when I shoot two handed and  regular Vaquero's when I shoot gunfighter. I've been told that Bisleys have the same grip to barrel angle as a 1911 but do not know if this is true. What I do know from shooting both regularly is a Bisley points true to aim as soon as I pull it. The regular Vaquero will always point high when I pull it so I have to place my little finger fully under the grip to offset this or bend my wrist slightly down if my little finger just barely fits under the grip when drawn to hit true to aim.

Howdy

A bazillion years ago I had a couple of 'original model' Vaqueros. I thought shooting Black Powder might be fun, but everybody said the recoil would be murder, and I would need the longer grip of the Bisley Vaquero to deal with the recoil. So I bought a Bisley Vaquero and made plans to change out the grip frame on one of my other Vaqueros. I took the Bisley to exactly one match. Decided I did not care for it. Sold it and used the money to help buy a Colt.

Along the way I discovered that the recoil from Black Powder was not as bad as everybody said. Today I shoot my Colts with my pinky curled under the grip and allow the grip to rotate in my hand a bit to help with the recoil. Never looked back at the Bisley Vaqueros again.

It is worth mentioning that the Ruger version of the Bisley grip is not the same as the original Colt Bisley grip. The Ruger version is more straight up and down, almost at a 90 degree angle.

rugerbisley.jpg

The Colt Bisley grip was thinner and swept further forward than the Ruger version.

bisley04_zps9adefab5.jpg

It has been said that the Ruger version of the Bisley grip is based in part on Elmer Keith's custom #5 Colt.

Keith5_zpszsip8zkk.jpg

I went to Ruger Bisley Vaqueros when I started shooting duelist. Worked much better than the standard Vaquero. Easier to point/aim (more natural), lowered hammer is easier to reach, seems to handle recoil better than standard Ruger plowhandle, 

I shoot the original model Bisleys but the new Ruger model plowhandles feel pretty good in my hand too. I once tried a pair of new model Bisleys and they felt perfect, I just didn't have the cash to lay out fer 'em at that match. Yup, at a match with no tax nor paperwork, AND they was Longhunter worked over too. I missed out on that pair, dangnabbit. 

I also found that in learning to shoot off handed for double duelist the Bisley models were MUCH more learner-friendly than a standard Vaquero. Once I got my left hand shooting with some aplomb on a Bisley I could much easier shoot any other revolver or pistol as a lefty. For me the Bisley was a user friendly learning tool as well.

40 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I went to Ruger Bisley Vaqueros when I started shooting duelist. Worked much better than the standard Vaquero. Easier to point/aim (more natural), lowered hammer is easier to reach, seems to handle recoil better than standard Ruger plowhandle, 

I shoot the original model Bisleys but the new Ruger model plowhandles feel pretty good in my hand too. I once tried a pair of new model Bisleys and they felt perfect, I just didn't have the cash to lay out fer 'em at that match. Yup, at a match with no tax nor paperwork, AND they was Longhunter worked over too. I missed out on that pair, dangnabbit. 

I also found that in learning to shoot off handed for double duelist the Bisley models were MUCH more learner-friendly than a standard Vaquero. Once I got my left hand shooting with some aplomb on a Bisley I could much easier shoot any other revolver or pistol as a lefty. For me the Bisley was a user friendly learning tool as well.

Pretty much the same for me. I tried shooting plow handles for some recent matches and didn't do very well. I got my Bisleys back and did much better at the last match.

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Let me echo these comments. I like the lower reach of the hammer when shooting one handed, and I find it definitely "points" better. 

This is more of what's already been stated but here goes:

I've got a big paw.  The Bisley allows me to get all my fingers on the front strap of the pistol.  With a plow handle my pinky rides under the grip.

Once I decided to shoot duelist I switched to the Bisleys because I had a more secure one handed grip; but just as important are the lower, rounded hammers.  Lower allows you ample purchase on the hammer without need to shift the gun in your hand.  Of course, the same result can be accomplished with a super Blackhawk hammer but this is where the rounded part comes in.  Because the hammer is rounded the thumb can slip off the hammer very naturally during the cocking process.

Now, with all this said, when I shoot squaw grip (which is very infrequently) I prefer a plow handled gun. 

So, it really boils down to what works best for you and the shooting style you want to employ.  Good luck!!!

For me, I had used clones for several years.  I tried a couple of different OMV Bisleys and found I preferred the grip angle. The lower hammer worked well to cock with my gripping hand, I started shooting duelist which  I enjoy.

I went to Bisleys when I started shooting "one handed".  A pair of Eagle Gunfighter grips really makes them nice, especially if you have short thumbs like I do.

WheelofRugerII002.jpg

It all comes down to the same thing when purchasing any firearm.  PERSONAL PREFERENCE.  I have 2 sets of Rugers, Bisleys and Plow Share.  I have been using the Bisleys for several years now, since I started shooting Gunfighter.  For me they are more comfortable shooting with one hand.

51 minutes ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

I went to Bisleys when I started shooting "one handed".  A pair of Eagle Gunfighter grips really makes them nice, especially if you have short thumbs like I do.

WheelofRugerII002.jpg

Nice!

:D

On 4/12/2017 at 6:32 AM, Dantankerous said:

+1

On 4/12/2017 at 5:14 PM, Hairtrigger Hayes said:

This is more of what's already been stated but here goes:

I've got a big paw.  The Bisley allows me to get all my fingers on the front strap of the pistol.  With a plow handle my pinky rides under the grip.

Once I decided to shoot duelist I switched to the Bisleys because I had a more secure one handed grip; but just as important are the lower, rounded hammers.  Lower allows you ample purchase on the hammer without need to shift the gun in your hand.  Of course, the same result can be accomplished with a super Blackhawk hammer but this is where the rounded part comes in.  Because the hammer is rounded the thumb can slip off the hammer very naturally during the cocking process.

Now, with all this said, when I shoot squaw grip (which is very infrequently) I prefer a plow handled gun. 

So, it really boils down to what works best for you and the shooting style you want to employ.  Good luck!!!

+1

17 hours ago, Hans Christian said:

For me, I had used clones for several years.  I tried a couple of different OMV Bisleys and found I preferred the grip angle. The lower hammer worked well to cock with my gripping hand, I started shooting duelist which  I enjoy.

+1

1 hour ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

WheelofRugerII002.jpg

+1

Someone earlier mentioned "old Bisleys vs New Bisleys".  Can anyone tell me what the differance is and how can one tell?

Howdy; Grab a Bisley. Like it or hate it, no middle ground. Bisleys worked good for silhouettes with long barrels and hot loads. Not so much for cowboy action shooting as caulking the hammer sometimes pinches the web of your hand. I now use lighter Ruger flat top Blackhawks. As to the difference from older Bisleys to now as I have done grip to frame swaps they do not match up well. 

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Someone earlier mentioned "old Bisleys vs New Bisleys".  Can anyone tell me what the differance is and how can one tell?

Bisleys are Vaqueros with some different parts.  Real easy to tell.  An old Bisley will say "Vaquero" on the side of the frame.  New Bisleys will say "New Vaquero" on the side of the frame.  The frames and cylinders on the New Vaquero are a little smaller and lighter in weight.  However, the Bisley grip frame on the Vaquero and New Vaquero is the same size.

Archived