SASS Wire Forum

Nickel-Plating Revolvers

McCandless

At the end of the year, I want to send off a pair of Colt's SAAs to be Nickel-plated.  They are "in the white" now.  I've checked with several gun-platers and they are pushing hard chrome.  That's not what I want.  I know Nickel is more brittle than chrome.  I want Nickel.  Can any of you recommend a plater that you have used?  And... what did it cost you to have this done?  

I'm hoping to get replies from folks who had already had it done, who did it for them, and how much it cost.

I you are talking about commercial plating services, rather than a service that's plates firearms, there likely will be some big problems.

The very fact that they are pushing hard chrome, a commercial finish, rather than exhibiting enthusiasm for doing a nickel plate job for a firearm, speaks volumes.  I'd not send them to a commercial plater.

Personally, I'd keep the revolvers coated in protective oil, have them engraved and send them out to be blued by some outfit like Turnbull, (if they still exist).  Heck.  Turnbull can do, or have done, a nice firearms quality nickel plating.

Just a thought, I don't know where you're at on this.

34 minutes ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

I you are talking about commercial plating services, rather than a service that's plates firearms, there likely will be some big problems.

Nope, talked to several firearms platers, seems they like hard-chrome.   Not my choice for these engraved Colts

19 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Turnbull is still around.  Give them a call and discuss your needs (turnbullmfg.com).  They are first rate.

Just called Turnbull, they don't do plating.  Just Bluing and CCH

4 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

A number of years ago some folks on the S&W Forum recommended Ford's 

http://fordsguns.com/home/4837274

Cimarron has been using Ford Plating in Florida for a number of years.  Very good quality.  Don't know the cost.

1 hour ago, Shotgun Clay said:

I believe Ford's does nickel plating as well. I haven't used them for nickel, but they did do the finish on this Colt of mine

Colt%202nd%20gen%201_zpscbnnhncy.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

HC can be done in shiny or matte. Far more durable than nickel, and less surface build up.

HC is also very resistant to many common gun cleaning chems(Hoppe's #9)while nickel will discolor from them.

OLG

Why are you trying to talk the guy out of nickel? He says he knows of the virtues of hard chrome, but that's not what he wants. He wants nickel. And I can't blame him. Hard chrome looks good, but in my opinion it will never look like nickel any more than even really nice looking faux ivory will look like ivory. Nickel is in a class by itself

Colt%20Nickel%202_zpsrqiihwlt.jpg

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

HC can be done in shiny or matte. Far more durable than nickel, and less surface build up.

HC is also very resistant to many common gun cleaning chems(Hoppe's #9)while nickel will discolor from them.

OLG

I believe copper is applied first to give better adhesion for the nickel, So if it is scratched, or as is common in old guns, flaking, a cleaning chemical that attacks copper can be a real problem.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

R'Kid-It's simple, HC lasts longer on work'n guns. It can be made to look like nickel too. But you already knew that. :P

OLG

How much longer does it need to last? I've been shooting my nickel Colt with black powder only and it's still looking great with no sign of wear. I bet the finish will out last me. I know there are advantages to HC, but when someone explicitly says they don't want something, I don't usually go out of my way to try to convince them otherwise.

These are engraved old Colts, "in the white", engraved, polished, with NO defects.  These are not my primary SASS guns which are Blued/CCH Colts and Stainless Rugers.  Nickel-plate is my druthers for these.  I have a hard-chromed semi-auto.   

I e-mailed Fords they are closed Friday-Sunday.  Hope to hear from them on Monday.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Do NOT EVER clean a nickel firearm with any solvent that contains ammonia.

The base layer of a nickel finish is copper and ammonia eats the copper layer.  Any imperfection/pin hole in the Nickel layer will allow the solvent to get under it and then the nickel will start to flake.

I only use Ed's Red to clean my firearms these day's.  I make it, so I know what's in it.

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

These are engraved old Colts, "in the white", engraved, polished, with NO defects.  These are not my primary SASS guns which are Blued/CCH Colts and Stainless Rugers.  Nickel-plate is my druthers for these.  I have a hard-chromed semi-auto.   

I e-mailed Fords they are closed Friday-Sunday.  Hope to hear from them on Monday.

Here's another option,  Robar,  they do Electroless Nickel plating and the specialize in plating firearms.

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/electroless-nickel/

2 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

Here's another option,  Robar,  they do Electroless Nickel plating and the specialize in plating firearms.

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/electroless-nickel/

I had an Uberti electroless nickled some years ago, came out great! Wish I had a pic of it, I have since sold it.

11 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Before going with Ford's, check out some of the threads over on the Colt forum, there apparently have been some real quality issues with Ford's recently.  No longer recommended.

Best regards,

Archived