SASS Wire Forum

New Vaquero Montado hammers

Heartbreak Highway

I saw a pair of rugers (SASS model) with the montado Hammer...I liked them but I don't want to buy another set of pistols just to get the hammers. Does anyone know if Ruger sells these? And are they really an advantage over the standard hammer? Thanks.

No, Ruger does not sell them. Get yourself a pair of Super Blackhawk hammers, same exact profile as the Montado hammer and the grooves on the spur actually work better than the shallow checkering found on the Montado hammer.

Those are power custom versions of the Montado. Not the same as an oem Montado hammer. They're lower and have a different profile

Only way to get Montado hammers is from ruger and own a Montado or sass vaquero. Even then. It's rare to get them.

" I guess I'll have to decide if the lower hammer is an advantage."

I have a pair of SASS Vaqueros and a set of Jimmy Spurs tuned Vaqueros with the Super Blackhawk hammers. The answer to your question depends on the size of your thumbs. They fit my hands perfectly and I think they make me faster. Others think they only help people shooting duelist. Talking to people won't do you any good. You need to try them for yourself. Find a pardner with a set of SASS Vaqueros, hold them in your hands and shoot a stage or two.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to decide if the lower hammer is an advantage. Are there any folks with SASS vaqueros who can weigh in?

Lots of people get wrapped around the axle over the term "Montado" hammer. Montado hammers and SBH hammers are the SAME except the Montado has shallow cast in checkering and the SBH has serrations. The SBH hammers are routinely available from Brownells, Midway, Ruger, etc., when Ruger has completed a run of extra hammers. Sometimes they are out of stock for a few weeks or months but they always come back around in the production cycle. In most cases people that shoot duelist or gunfighter find them a definite advantage. Mixed reviews from people that shoot two handed. Some like the stock higher hammer, others like the lower wider SBH hammers.

The name isn't a big deal to me... I'm more interested in function than style. I'll head out this week and try to see if I can try out a vaquero with the wider hammer to see if it works for me. Thanks again for all the help.

I have 3 Long Hunter NM Vaqueros with SBH hammers. I shoot Double Duelist and now mostly GF. For my old arthritic thumbs, these hammers are a Godsend. Absolutely love them!

I like the lower hammer, but the web of my hand would stop the hammer from coming all the way to full cock at times. I switched to the Boogie short stroke with basically the same hammer design and have been very happy with them. I shoot two handed. As suggested, you might want to shoot a set with this hammer before deciding on what you want to use.

Archived