SASS Wire Forum

Ruger changed the Vaquero?

G W Wade

Pardner of mine just picked up a back up Vaquero. After firing it, he called to tell me something was wrong. Binding and locking up. After answering all his questions, recommended send it back. Now he called to tell me you can not slip hammer the most recent vaquero. Not that important. But inquiring minds want to know. What did they do THANKS GW

I don't slip hammer but I have a relatively new stainless steel Ruger Vaquero that was binding up on cocking. It had little to no cylinder gap. I basically polished the rough mill marks off the barrel forcing cone face until a .003 gauge would slide through. I've only shot about 40 rounds through it but it has not bound up.

It is not just the new production ones. I have seen some earlier NMVs that could not be slip hammered either. I talked to Ruger about it and was told that this is not a design feature. I think something was not fitted correctly and causing the trigger to interfere with the hammer fall.

Thanks Guys. Wont be name dropper because I was not told directly, but he got his info from cowboy gunsmith. who sold him the gun GW

It is not just the new production ones. I have seen some earlier NMVs that could not be slip hammered either. I talked to Ruger about it and was told that this is not a design feature. I think something was not fitted correctly and causing the trigger to interfere with the hammer fall.

It's not the trigger.

The bottom of the cyl 'paw' is hitting the trigger guard frame, and causing a slight bind. This can slightly interfere with the 'stroke' of the paw by not letting it fully cycle and re-engage the cyl notches, until you release the trigger.

I first saw this when I installed SBH hammers on my wife's NMV's.

Remove the trigger frame, look for a witness mark to the left of the trigger slot. I just took about .030" off the bottom of the 'paw'.

The OMV's never had this issue, that I ever saw.

YMMV,

OLG

It's not the trigger.

The bottom of the cyl 'paw' is hitting the trigger guard frame, and causing a slight bind. This can slightly interfere with the 'stroke' of the paw by not letting it fully cycle and re-engage the cyl notches, until you release the trigger.

Remove the trigger frame, look for a witness mark to the left of the trigger slot. I just took about .030" off the bottom of the 'paw'.

YMMV,

OLG

I believe that this is a different issue as I could clearly feel the trigger being pushed forward under my finger. Never had a chance to open them up and see why.

I believe that this is a different issue as I could clearly feel the trigger being pushed forward under my finger. Never had a chance to open them up and see why.

The paw is attached to the hammer. If the paw doesn't fully retract. It doesn't reset into the next set of cyl notches. The paw making contact with the grip frame creates a bind of sorts. It took me awhile to find this issue, as it was a real head scratcher.

Something to consider.....

Stay well, Mike.

OLG

Howdy; Got two Ruger flattop Blackhawk 50th anniversary's. So one will slip hammer and the other will push the trigger forward if slip hammering is tried. Also the cylinder is supposed to line up with the ejection notch with 6 clicks of the cylinder BUT the second revolver has 12 clicks when the cylinder is rotated, there is a soft click between each cylinder hole.

I believe that the second revolver may well have the same issue.

It's not the trigger.

YMMV,

OLG

This is correct.

50th Anniv Blackhawks and early NMV's had this problem.

Ruger instituted a relief cut to the trigger guard frame to solve the issue.

This is correct.

50th Anniv Blackhawks and early NMV's had this problem.

Ruger instituted a relief cut to the trigger guard frame to solve the issue.

Both of my wife's NMV's(bought a little over 6 years ago)had a 'notch' in the TG frame done buy Ruger when the guns were built. Ruger knows about this interference/contact issue. The relief cut notch wasn't deep or wide enough, and the contact marks from the paw proved this.

In a vert. mill, I deepened the notch .025 using a full radius 3/16" dia endmill.

I also removed about .025-.030 from the bottom of the cyl paw.

Now, both NMV's can be 'slip-hammered' with ease.

IMO-The major cause of this. Is the casting 'spur' left at the bottom of the paw. If Ruger would dress and finish the spur flush with the radius of the part. There would be no interference issue at all.

Like I said-This all came to be known when doing a SBH hammer install on these guns. I was checking clearances and such.

Respectfully,

OLG

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=218866&start=15

Take a look at this... Not pictures of factory done mod but it's exactly what I speak of.

That is not the part of the paw I'm referring to.

I'm 'talking' about the bottom of the paw, down near the pivot/mounting point in the hammer.

OLG

Both of my wife's NMV's(bought a little over 6 years ago)had a 'notch' in the TG frame done buy Ruger when the guns were built. Ruger knows about this interference/contact issue. The relief cut notch wasn't deep or wide enough, and the contact marks from the paw proved this.

In a vert. mill, I deepened the notch .025 using a full radius 3/16" dia endmill.

I also removed about .025-.030 from the bottom of the cyl paw.

Now, both NMV's can be 'slip-hammered' with ease.

IMO-The major cause of this. Is the casting 'spur' left at the bottom of the paw. If Ruger would dress and finish the spur flush with the radius of the part. There would be no interference issue at all.

Like I said-This all came to be known when doing a SBH hammer install on these guns. I was checking clearances and such.

Respectfully,

OLG

The bump on the pawl and the frame are supposed to come in contact with each other. This is what allows the revers index "pawl" on the new models to do its job. It is a bad way to make a free spin pawl but it is the way Ruger chose to do it. The notch in the frame is how the factory adjusts the pawl disengagement. Adjusting it there is faster than repeated removal of the pawl.

Mike-Too bad Ruger is not put'n the notches in deep enough, is the real deal. :rolleyes:

Both of the paws on Barb's guns were not finished well at the bottom, and I had to rework them.

I never noticed this issue when she used the OEM hammers. Just after the SBH install did this really show up.

Makes me think(you should start run'n now :lol:)that the hole location for the paw in the SBH hammers was drill'd just a tiny bit lower that the OEM. That, and 'tolerance-stacking' may have come into play also.

You're more that welcome to shoot'em next time we meet.

Heck-You more than welcome to run my .44 OMV's if you like :D:D

OLG

Mike-Too bad Ruger is not put'n the notches in deep enough, is the real deal. :rolleyes:

Both of the paws on Barb's guns were not finished well at the bottom, and I had to rework them.

I never noticed this issue when she used the OEM hammers. Just after the SBH install did this really show up.

Makes me think(you should start run'n now :lol:)that the hole location for the paw in the SBH hammers was drill'd just a tiny bit lower that the OEM. That, and 'tolerance-stacking' may have come into play also.

You're more that welcome to shoot'em next time we meet.

Heck-You more than welcome to run my .44 OMV's if you like :D:D

OLG

Yeah. Some are too shallow and there are a lot of them out there too deep to allow the free spin pawl to completely disengage.

Love my OMV .44 mags. They are all i shot up until about a year or so ago.

CJ-I see that NOW. :blush: THX :excl:

Mike why don't you go back to those .44's and I'll supply you with some of my 240gn bullet/44 loads I use. :D:P

You'll still beat me and every other human, because your're a BORG :lol:

BUT-You'll do it with .44's............ B)

OLG

That is not the part of the paw I'm referring to.

I'm 'talking' about the bottom of the paw, down near the pivot/mounting point in the hammer.

OLG

OLG, I believe the 'pawl' is what you are referring to.

Just trying to help.

I don't slip hammer but I have a relatively new stainless steel Ruger Vaquero that was binding up on cocking. It had little to no cylinder gap. I basically polished the rough mill marks off the barrel forcing cone face until a .003 gauge would slide through. I've only shot about 40 rounds through it but it has not bound up.

Ruger's cylinder gaps have always been all over the place, but generally too small. Lead fouling will bind them up.

Alos. .003 is still too tight for lead. .005 to .008 is spec.

It's not the pawl bottoming out. This can happen to both the new and the old Vaq's. Notice where the top of the T bar fits into the hammer notch. If the T bar is too long/high the hammer will try to push it down when fired and you will feel it in the trigger trying to move forward. Take a little off the top of the T bar or the hammer notch.

This is also one of the reasons some will run with really light hammers spring but other won't.

Ruger's cylinder gaps have always been all over the place, but generally too small. Lead fouling will bind them up.

It's not the pawl bottoming out. This can happen to both the new and the old Vaq's. Notice where the top of the T bar fits into the hammer notch. If the T bar is too long/high the hammer will try to push it down when fired and you will feel it in the trigger trying to move forward. Take a little off the top of the T bar or the hammer notch.

This is also one of the reasons some will run with really light hammers spring but other won't.

Nate-The issue I had was the bottom of the PAWL( :P ) with the new SBH was had enough contact-interference with the grip frame the the pawl could not engage the cyl ratchets. That's when I milled the TG frame notch out.

THX for the T'bar tip. ;)

OLG

How long have you had'em? Bought new?

OEM hammers or SBH?

THX,

OLG

Got them right after they were released.

Have had action jobs.

Super Blackhawk hammers.

If you fire the first shot from regular operation, then hold trigger back won't all Rugers work flawlessly? Have usually found holding trigger and trying to cock will not be good operation. ????????

Archived