SASS Wire Forum

Good Powder for 45-70 High Wall?

BankRoll

I'll be loading 45-70 for the first time ever here pretty soon.

What powder and primers do you guys prefer.

I'll be shooting 405g bullets at 200ish yards.

EDIT: I'll be using smokeless ....... for now

AA 5744 would be my choice, but IMR 4198 would be close behind.

Testing in YOUR rifle will tell you what you want to use for best accuracy.

At 200 yards, you can use the trapdoor level loads from loading manuals, will have a flat enough trajectory to keep you on steel. And not kick the snot out of you.

Good luck, GJ

You will find that commercial hard cast bullets will NOT give best accuracy with either smokeless OR black. The shallow rifling in the Uberti/Pedrosoli rifles will strip the bullets down the rifling. My own experience has been to use a 20:1 alloy for smokeless and 30:1 for black with appropriate lube. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good shooting!!

Al

(+1 on the Alliant 5744.)

I don't have a high wall but I also use TB with a 405gr in my Sharps. I like it out to a little over 200 yards. No one mentioned it, but I've also used Varget with very good results. Shoots pretty flat. Winchester primers.

I shoot water buckets at near 3/4 mile with a 540 grain PP bullet and a load of swiss 2f.

I think I saw you in a movie once..... :lol::lol:

AA 5744 would be my choice, but IMR 4198 would be close behind.

Testing in YOUR rifle will tell you what you want to use for best accuracy.

At 200 yards, you can use the trapdoor level loads from loading manuals, will have a flat enough trajectory to keep you on steel. And not kick the snot out of you.

Good luck, GJ

2thumbsup.jpg Tis what I use in my 1886 and Sharps.

There are many powders that would work fine. XMP5744 is a good choice for that range and bullet weight. Reloader 7 is also a good low pressure choice.

Snakebite

I have used 5744 with mixed results. Sometimes I get real tight groups and then other times they keyhole even at 100 yards. Using the same bullet with many other powders they never keyhole not even once. Wish I knew what was going on. But getting back to the topic, I like IMR 4198.

…Too Tall...

IMR 4198 is probably the best of the best, although 5744 is no slouch. Either will get you there.

RBK

Archived