SASS Wire Forum

Lightning rifles

Hoss

I kinda want one, mainly for WB. Probably in 44-40. I've looked at one in 45 Colt, and have a lead on one in 44-40. Both are AWAs. I've shot a friends Taurus, it seemed to be ok. I've heard lots of horror stories. Anybody have much first hand experience with them? Any maker to be avoided?

I kinda want one, mainly for WB. Probably in 44-40. I've looked at one in 45 Colt, and have a lead on one in 44-40. Both are AWAs. I've shot a friends Taurus, it seemed to be ok. I've heard lots of horror stories. Anybody have much first hand experience with them? Any maker to be avoided?

First do a search this topic comes up frequently. Maker to avoid - Taurus. Most likely to work out-of-the-box. Pedersoli. If you intend to shoot one on a regular basis prepare to make it a second hobby as you learn how to care for and feed it. I have fourteen of them. Originals and samples from everyone that has made them. I am a glutton for punishment

Hoss Roonwright.

Glad you're looking at Lightnings - they are wonderful rifles and fun to shoot. And, they can be VERY quick. I'd urge not to consider a Taurus, and then second, not to consider an AWA. In my opinion, Pedersoli does the best job and produces a very fine, well crafted Lightning (I have three Pedersoli Lightnings, and each one is a great shooter). Second on my list is Uberti. Either .44-40 or .45 Colt are good calibers (but I guess I'd have to ask what are you shooting in your pistols). The .44-40 and .45 versions typically run a bit better than the .38/.357 versions.

Good luck on your search.

.RR

PS: If you get a Pedersoli Lightning, PM me and I'll be happy to share an in-depth 20-page disassembly/assembly document that provides much more info than the standard Pedersoli instruction sheet.

Pedersoli makes a very good Ligthning rifle, IMHO. Take Roger up on his offer, a very worthwhile information source. I'd go 44-40 if you can get one.

. If you intend to shoot one on a regular basis prepare to make it a second hobby as you learn how to care for and feed it.

+1

I shoot an AWA in 44-40 and its a lot of fun, but you have to be dedicated to the cause.

I got the gold rush (uberti made). It is 357 and that is what I use. Problematic yes. Nothing more frustrating then get to the line pump and a round slips under the elevator locking things up with 9 rounds left. When it works a joy.

Love the stupid thing.

Got my eye out for a Pedersoli 357 carbine.

I had it in short rifle awhile back but sold it. Put too hot a round tbrough and the hammer would pop into half cock locking the rifle up.

When I was in the market to obtain a Lightning, I had an opportunity to compare a Taurus, an Uberti and an AWA. The action on the Taurus was like pulling to pieces of sandpaper against each other. The Uberti was comparatively smooth, but clunky. The AWA was slick and smooth and seemed to be the way it should

I bought the AWA.

It is in .45 Colt, and unmodified in any way from how it came out of the box.

I will be using it at End of the Trail as my main match gun in a few weeks.

Don't know what more to say other than that. :)

Roger Rapid, would you send me a copy of that Perdersoli instruction sheet. I also have a Lighting and have been looking for something like that. I'd like to field strip it so I can give it a good cleaning.

Joe:

I tried to send you PM so I could get your email address, but apparently you're not set up for PM. Please PM me with your email address and I'll gladly send document, or email me at siminoff(at)siminoff.net.

Lost Vaquero:

Cartridges getting under lifter is a somewhat common problem, and is caused by cartridge riding over the cartridge stop lever. It can be solved by raising the cartridge stop lever slightly. Bottom lip of cartridge stop lever can be ground away about .020" and it should eliminate problem. The Uberti has a one-piece cartridge stop lever and rocker arm like the original Colt Lightning, whereas these are two separate parts on the Pedersoli version. While the parts are different, the solution is the same and I have an explanation on how to fix this in my document if you'd like a copy. (This is also one of the things that makes the .38/.357 versions more problematic that I referred to in my first post above - but certainly fixable.)

...R

Lost Vaquero.. just re-read your post and saw comment about hammer going into half cock. This is a rare problem, but obviously does happen if a combination of things are not right, such as: firing pin is too long, hammer spring is too light, and there is excessive space between bolt face and cartridge rim. When the round is detonated, the cartridge and primer is slammed back against the face of bolt and the firing pin, and the firing pin could knock a lightly-sprung hammer into half cock. ...RR,

I have both AWA and Pedersoli lightning's both in 44/40, The AWA was a problem child it made several trips back to AWA before I finally gave up and sent it to Elrod(Eldon Penner) after he worked it over it's been flawless I do worry about parts availability since AWA is gone but so far it's still working great.

My Pedersoli has been perfect right out of the box it's fit and finish is much better than the AWA.

The pedersoli has a 26" octagon barrel and while being a little heavy still handles great, The AWA has a 24" round barrel and is considerably lighter.

If I get the chance I would buy a another Lightning short rifle or carbine but only one by Pedersoli and only in 44/40.

A lot of shooters look down on the Lightnings but I really love shooting mine.

Willy B'

Roger Rapid-- I'm sending you a PM

Out of box functioning capability:

* Pedersol

* Uberti

Worked over:

* AWA

Re-engineered:

* Taurus

Which mine is. Initial 50 round test firing after it was re-engineered with BP multiple 45LC reload lengths holding the rifle horizontal and slam firing with five 10 round batches ... only 3 rounds that did not chamber

Roger thank you for the information and also on the wonderful manual.

On a side note for everyone I shoot 38/357 ( downloaded) and would like to stay there still has me wondering if should move to 45 or 44wcf for a lightning?

I have a Beretta Gold Rush (Uberti Lightning) in 45 Colt. I have never experienced a round slipping under the lifter. Occasionally the bolt doesn’t go into battery; so, it fails to fire. Besides the click of the hammer drop I fell the slid move ever so slightly forward. The Uberti’s action incorporates a safety design to prevent slam firing. Either the unfired cartridge can be jacked out or the rifle can be re-cocked by pulling the hammer to cocked position while holding the trigger to the rear and releasing the trigger when hammer is held in the cooked position. I practice this during dry firing sessions. It is much faster than reloading on the clock. The Lightning’s design allows faster loading on the clock than the 66/73 rifles; just drop cartridge on the lifer and close the action.

P.S. I couldn’t find a Pederosoli to buy or try when I was acquiring my Lightning. The description of its’ safety features on the Pedersoli website convinced me that the Pedersoli is the best Lightning clone for our sport. The dealer I bought the Uberti from had a Taurus and the Taurus was so rough in operation and finish that it convinced me to pay 2+ times the Taurus price for the Uberti.

As you can see, opinions here are all over the map.

About the only thing that can be agreed on is that the Taurus is to be avoided like the plague.

After that, there is really no agreement as to what makes for a good Lightning clone.

Some people swear by the AWA, others say to avoid it.

Some swear by the Uberti, others say to avoid it.

Those who have a Pedersoli swear by it, and as far as I can remember, I cant recall anyone ever saying anything bad about it. (I can not recall if this one has been modified so that it will not slam fire. Someone in the know please clarify).

USFA made one for a while, but they are as rare as hens teeth. They had a good reputation, but very few of them got into ciculation.

And then there is an original Colt. Doesn't get discussed all that much in these parts for some reason, and I find that curious.

Bottom like is, look at the rifles in the store. Get a feel for the action. Ask if you can run some snap caps through it to see if it works, (Some stores will do this...) Make your best assessment guess based on your comparisons, and take it from there.

H.K. Uriah...

The original Colt Lightning rifles (Colt also made a Lightning Pistol, model M1877) are wonderful, and are rather highly treasured, which is why I think you don't see a lot of comment on them in the SASSwire. It's not the kind of gun that I'd feel good tossing on a table.

I had one years ago in 38-40 and kick myself every day for selling it. Even if I had one today, I still think I'd use a clone for CAS.

...RR

II have a Taurus thunderbolt and after seeing Lassiter was working on the lightnings asked him if he could fix mine to be a reliable gun he asked me two questions first was did I get blow back and the answer was yes then he asked the caliber I said 45 and he said put it away there wasn't much hope for it in that caliber. Based on this info I would go with a 38-40 or 44-40 model.

Elrod says get any Lighting in .38-40 as the best choice...

They sure seem to work best with Bottle neck cases , my choices would be in this order .38-40 , .44-40 , 32-20 , .45 Colt and .38 spl. last choice ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived