SASS Wire Forum

New to the sport

Rock Ridge Ron

I am a volunteer with the Boy Scouts and they just made it possible for us to provide a cowboy action program at our summer camps albeit with some restrictions

1. 22 caliber pistols and rifles, 20 or 12 gauge shotguns

2. No holsters, all firearms on a table/window ledge

3. Staff loads all guns and they never leave their position

4. There must be an NRA certified instructor at each station, with a certification in the discipline being shot

I am so excited for this new program and I am helping our Council develop a range to provide cowboy action to our scouts.

I have contacted a local SASS club for help and they are so easy to work with and very excited about the youth involvement and one of them suggested I join this site to get information and to learn more about the sport

This site is fun to read and the people are so very helpful that I just find myself reading for hours

Thanks to all of you for being here for us new folks and for developing and growing such a great sport/pastime

I wish I had found this site years ago

where are you located?

Contact the Southern Missouri Rangers. They have participated in this type of program for several years. <flossieneighbour@gmail.com>

where are you located?

In Tacoma Washington but I can't edit my profile to show that

I just sent in my SASS membership form and am looking forward to my first event this weekend with the local club

In Tacoma Washington but I can't edit my profile to show that

I just sent in my SASS membership form and am looking forward to my first event this weekend with the local club

You should be able to edit when your membership is validated. If not, Allie Mo is the moderator to check in with.

Great program & very welcome to you !

You should be able to edit when your membership is validated. If not, Allie Mo is the moderator to check in with.

Great program & very welcome to you !

I fixed that and changed you from Validating to Member.

She's really on the ball today ! :wub:

I think a Scout merit badge using the SASS Marshall logo would look good on the boys uniforms. I hope you can get enough Winchester AA low noise, low recoil shotgun shells for your camp.

It is always wonderful to see children and young adults getting another opportunity to learn personal responsibility, gun safety and marksmanship techniques, and have a lot of fun doing it. This is something I would never intend to see in the People's Republik of Kommiefornia again, where our dear leaders seem to feel that keeping children totally in the dark about firearms of any type somehow leads to a higher level of firearm safety for the "Golden State's" oppressed masses !?!?!?

Kudos to you for setting up such a valuable program! That SASS Marshal merit badge sounds like a great idea.

I'm up in Lake Stevens, gimme a call

425-870-0193 (cell)

Mudflat

Don't be scaring the kids Mudflat😛

Ringer

WOW that sounds great! I have 2 boys that shoot as Buckaroos. For hand guns look for CCI quiets. Long rifle with cb speed. One boy shoots a 12 gauge 97 with winchester low noise low recoil shells. I've been told that double barrel 20 will kick as much or more than a 12 due to lighter weight of the gun.

Thanks for your time with the kids and best of luck.

Volga Vigilante

I'm thinking that the nras cowboy is different from sass. I'm a certified instructor for the NRA and have been range officer 1 MJ6CKXUC 2 for sass. As different as apples and oranges. You might want to see if you can find a ro II at the local club that's also a certified NRA instructor.that way you meet the NRA instructor require ment with a sass qualified ro to over see the event. Those restrictions take a lot of the game away. But they will be able to follow the young guns rules for the 22s and shotgun. So that would require one instructor with pistol, rifle and shotgun ratings or three instructor s one each in each discipline. I would get three in all three and have them be the timer operators for the event, that way you have the scouts go through the loading table and have an adult show them the proper loading techniques for the rifle and revolver. Wait their turn to be called to the line . The NRA instructor /timer operator will safely assist them through the course of fire. Myhe only hiccup is loading the shotgun on the clock. Can the scout load under direct supervision or must the scout hand the shotgun off to the to to load the hand it back to the scout to close the action and fire the gun.

Or are you gonna to have three stations one for each firearm type then run everyone through each station then switch to the next. Not very CAS like but more a familiarization shoot using cowboy guns. And for liability reasons better use stock firearms that have not been modified and try to get tend and Winchester to donate the ammo. I like the idea but it doesn't sound like sass or even NRA cowboy but a pre 1900 three gun firearm familiraztion badge. Sorry for my negativity but it is good that the youth gets to shoot. Maybe grab some of the tube videos and show them to the scouts after the range day so they see how a sass event is actually ran.

Parrotdog, sounds like a great program. As to your item #3, will the boys at some point be taught how to load any of the guns? That would seem to me to really enhance the experience...........?

Thanks for all the comments everyone

Blackey Cole:

There is a requirement that the youth complete the NRA first steps training for pistol and a BSA training session for rifle and shotgun where the learn safe handling, loading, un-loading, malfunctions and then a specific live fire session so the are familiar with all the firearms. The Session is 6 shots with each pistol, then 6 shots with the lever action and then 2 shots with the shotgun. They are timed and scored similar to cowboy action rules. This will introduce more youth to shooting sports and when they get home form camp they may be able to talk parents into going to a SASS club where the BSA restrictions are not in place

This is a national program, available to all Boy Scout Councils to use at summer camp or at any Council or District event so it should be a real draw for the youth

Today we finished the paperwork to start a new Shooting Sports Venture Crew that includes 6 girls and 5 boys and they will be working with the various SASS clubs in the area. They are able to compete using the SASS rules at the clubs and they are already scheduling their NRA training and making contacts to start the visitations to the clubs.

I see great potential for both the Boy Scouts and the SASS clubs with this venture

Thanks again everyone for your comments

Congratulations and welcome..

We've done this at our club for the past 8-10 years..

The scout masters tell us the boys look forward to the cowboy shooting more than anything there..

Lots of work but worth while for scouts..

Rance ;)

Thinkin I've stood for 4 hrs. straight doing nothing but loading up a 22 cal. Lever action. :)

Archived