SASS Wire Forum

1873 rifle feeding issue

Procedural Pete

My Uberti 1873 .357 rifle has started to have some feeding problems. The lever locks up when levering it forward. When I looked down into the carrier there is a round half way in the carrier and half in the magazine. If I jiggle the lever it moves all the way into the carrier and chambers. I have read about the carrier getting rusty so I took off the cap and took out the spring and follower. The spring was rusty. Am I safe to assume rust in the magazine is causing the problem.

I am aware of the after market SS spring and follower, SS mag. tube as well as tube liners. I'm interested in your suggestions on the best long term solution. However, I have a shoot Saturday and need a short term solution now. What is the best way to clean the rust out of the magazine tube?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

PP

That is the most likely cause. A piece of steel wool wrapped on a bore brush, chucked up in a drill motor is an easy way to clean out the tube.

Thanks Smokestack. Do I need to remove the tube for this or can it be done with the tube in place?

Once you get the rust out, I use two patches on a .45 cleaning jag coated in oil. Down and back a few times and then a dry patch on top of the wet patch and down and back a few times. Wipe the spring down every so often. Loctite purple or blue the threads on the cap and reassemble the magazine tube and tighten.

Depending on the level of rust on your spring, that could also have impacted the spring tension. After you clean out and oil the magazine tube, it is time for new spring and follower - Stainless recommended for both.

Cleaning the magazine tube can be done with it in place - just try to keep the muzzle pointed down to keep from washing junk into your action.

If you took out the spring why didn't go just run a oil soaked rag down the tube? It WILL come out covered in rust and grit.

+1

Before you get too carried away just do some basic cleaning and light lubing of the tube, spring, and follower and see if that clears the problem. It would be a shame to spend a lot of time cleaning out the tube only to find out that your lifter spring has fallen off the cam. You have checked that right :huh:

My mag springs are always a little rusty looking and I clean them regularly.

If you need a little more pressure from the spring you can add a little something of appropriate diameter under the tube cap. How long of a little something will take some trial and error. You'll know it's too long if you can't get 10 rounds up in there.

A spent .45acp casing (rim side first) might be just enough, or a dowel. or etc....

That is the most likely cause. A piece of steel wool wrapped on a bore brush, chucked up in a drill motor is an easy way to clean out the tube.

This.

Then order a bullet alignment kit and never have this problem again.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

Once you get the rust out, I use two patches on a .45 cleaning jag coated in oil. Down and back a few times and then a dry patch on top of the wet patch and down and back a few times. Wipe the spring down every so often. Loctite purple or blue the threads on the cap and reassemble the magazine tube and tighten.

Perhaps you might rethink the Loctite on the mag cap because the next time you need to pull that cap, you will end up with a fight on your hands and possibly a damaged cap or tube! I have found that shotgun screw choke lube is really helpful in protecting the tube threads, plus I have yet to have the Jimmy Spurs type caps work loose!

Like Larson E Pettifogger, I regularly run a patch wetted with Ballistrol down my tube. Good luck!

Just MHO. Everybody does it their way I suppose ;)

Your mag tube is one of those that the factory has pre-rusted for you. This used to be common on almost all Uberti 73 rifles. The factory had been doing a better job lately of cleaning the bluing salts out of the mag tube, but either they forgot to rinse yours well or you have a "new-old-stock" gun made 5 years ago.

Use a big, well fitted screwdriver tip to remove the mag cap, or there are a couple of purpose built tools available. ActionTek carries one. It will be tough to get the cap off the first time! Don't let the mag tube spin as you try to loosen the cap, or you ruin the tube. If you have troubles, a Cowboy gunsmith should be consulted.

Make sure the mag tube is not dented from the outside. If it is, a replacement tube may be needed.

Immediate action - clean mag tube with a 20 gauge shotgun brush, hot soapy water followed by bore cleaner and perhaps some bronze wool wrapped on brush. KEEP cleaning until patches pushed through come out white rather than rusty. Then inspect the tube closely. If heavily pitted, one of several mag tube liners made of aluminum or fiberglass will be your cheaper fix. And it may feed slightly better too with the liner. If there's not any major pitting, then for short term, use some "dry" lube that won't attract dust, such as EEZOX or Boeshield T9. Swab that inside the tube, and on the spring and follower. If you use regular oil, it will most likely grab and hold any dirt and dust within a mile of the range.

Then, when you can, order a stainless spring and follower. Several Cowboy suppliers stock them. It's an important upgrade.

Don't use locktite on the mag cap. Will not be necessary. Just lightly snug the cap.

Good luck, GJ

Your mag tube is one of those that the factory has pre-rusted for you. This used to be common on almost all Uberti 73 rifles. The factory had been doing a better job lately of cleaning the bluing salts out of the mag tube, but either they forgot to rinse yours well or you have a "new-old-stock" gun made 5 years ago.

Use a big, well fitted screwdriver tip to remove the mag cap, or there are a couple of purpose built tools available. ActionTek carries one. It will be tough to get the cap off the first time! Don't let the mag tube spin as you try to loosen the cap, or you ruin the tube. If you have troubles, a Cowboy gunsmith should be consulted.

Make sure the mag tube is not dented from the outside. If it is, a replacement tube may be needed.

Immediate action - clean mag tube with a 20 gauge shotgun brush, bore cleaner and perhaps some bronze wool wrapped on brush. KEEP cleaning until patches pushed through come out white rather than rusty. Then inspect the tube closely. If heavily pitted, one of several mag tube liners made of aluminum or fiberglass will be your cheaper fix. And it may feed slightly better too with the liner. If there's not any major pitting, then for short term, use some "dry" lube that won't attract dust, such as EEZOX or Boeshield T9. Swab that inside the tube, and on the spring and follower. If you use regular oil, it will most likely grab and hold any dirt and dust within a mile of the range.

Then, when you can, order a stainless spring and follower. Several Cowboy suppliers stock them. It's an important upgrade.

Don't use locktite on the mag cap. Will not be necessary. Just lightly snug the cap.

Good luck, GJ

+1

Before you get too carried away just do some basic cleaning and light lubing of the tube, spring, and follower and see if that clears the problem. It would be a shame to spend a lot of time cleaning out the tube only to find out that your lifter spring has fallen off the cam. You have checked that right :huh:

My mag springs are always a little rusty looking and I clean them regularly.

If you need a little more pressure from the spring you can add a little something of appropriate diameter under the tube cap. How long of a little something will take some trial and error. You'll know it's too long if you can't get 10 rounds up in there.

A spent .45acp casing (rim side first) might be just enough, or a dowel. or etc....

Good call Cody. Cleaning out the magazine tube help the bullets to feed into the carrier more easily. But I was still having issues with the timing of the carrier. The lifter spring was in the correct position but was very weak. I had aftermarket lifter Springs from Smith shop. They are wire an adjustable. They don't seem to want to hold their shape I put a little more Bend in the lifter spring and the problem was solved.

And has been mentioned it is very important to treat the spring and mag tube to reduce the rust build up. I've used Boeshield T9 and EEZOX but have lately found that either Frog Lube CLP or Seal 1 to do even better.

The bullet alignment tube is an alternative, but the good lubes should almost stop the rust. I check mine once or twice a year - or after shooting in a wet environment, to be sure.

Another reason to shoot a Henry 1860. Easy to clean and oil.

The US Army was not interested in repeaters like the Winchester 1876 and 1886, and chose to stay with the single shot Trapdoor Springfield. If the mag tube was dented, the repeater would be a single shot, maybe. If the mag tube was rusty, it might be a no-shot.

The pre rusted mag tubes are caused by bluing salts used in manufacture not being thouroughly cleaned out. After you remove the rust, clean out the salts by cleaning the inside of the tube with hot soapy WATER. Dry, oil and reassemble.

The reason for cleaning with water is that salts dissolve in water. Salts DO NOT dissolve in oil. An oil based preservative will just seal in the salt to reappear sometime in the future.

The pre rusted mag tubes are caused by bluing salts used in manufacture not being thouroughly cleaned out. After you remove the rust, clean out the salts by cleaning the inside of the tube with hot soapy WATER. Dry, oil and reassemble.

The reason for cleaning with water is that salts dissolve in water. Salts DO NOT dissolve in oil. An oil based preservative will just seal in the salt to reappear sometime in the future.

+1

Archived