SASS Wire Forum

A little 4 bore rifle for the masochists out there

Iditarod Kid

ZOINKS!!!

IIRC, I read somewhere in the past, that the 1/4 pound lead bullet was used in elephant hunting,

to crush the skull of the animal. It was apparently not designed to penetrate the skin or hyde.

I suspect that it did that very well. Although, I have met some individuals that I doubt that it would

have the same affect.

IIRC, I read somewhere in the past, that the 1/4 pound lead bullet was used in elephant hunting,

to crush the skull of the animal. It was apparently not designed to penetrate the skin or hyde.

I suspect that it did that very well. Although, I have met some individuals that I doubt that it would

have the same affect.

Yeah, just pass right through. No apparent damage.

I actually got to handle a Holland & Holland 4-bore at the Holland & Holland store in NYC. I knew one of the fellows that worked in the gun room and got to see and handle many of their new and historic guns. The 4-bore was a beast. Weighed 24 pounds! I understand why the rich white hunters had gun bearers. I wouldn't want to lug one around!

Badger, they had some quite nice quail guns. ^_^

It was on our 25th wedding anniversary (1999). My wife was patiently sitting in a chair in the H&H gun room while I was looking over so many nice guns. I had mentioned that I'd recently shot a quail with a .410 over my Lizzie's first point. Steve, my friend who work in the gun room, handed me a .410 H&H Royal for my perusal. It was exquisite! I took it over to the wife to show her. "Honey, looked at just how exquisite the shotgun is." She asked, "Well, how much is it?" I told her, "Oh, only $65,000."

I watched that Holland and Holland video and all I could think of was, "Who could afford those women?" High maintenance I reckon!!

Years ago, a friend of mine built a 4 gauge blunderbuss. Nicely built with a 13 inch flared barrel and a Harper's Ferry Flintlock action. It weight over 10 pounds. He brought it over for me to shoot after he finished it. He took a 12 gauge shotshell full of Fg - tore a paper lunch sack in half and stuffed it in for the wadding - dropped in a 1 inch lead ball - stuffed the rest of the lunch sack on top - primed the pan and handed it to me to fire. What he didn't tell me was the frizzen wasn't hardened properly and wasn't sparking consistently. Well, after 3 hangfires, I was flinching so bad that on the fourth time when it finally went off, the buttstock was not tight against my shoulder. I never was kicked so hard by a gun in my life. That was at least 35 years ago and I think my shoulder is still sore.

With the condition my shoulders are in, I think I'll pass. Come to think of it, I would've passed before then as well.

Archived