SASS Wire Forum

Ruger NMV in .44 Special

German Jim

I like short barrels! Adds challenge to my shoot and excuses to my misses!

My question is why the .44? Where's the .38-40 and .44-40? Or a .32? That'd be a seller!

Too small of an audience. I doubt Ruger ever makes them in those calibers again. At least we can get them in .44 spl and have the chambers bored for .44-40.

I expect they would sell better if they had more usable barrel lengths such as 4 5/8" and 5 1/2". but then again, I'm not a marketing director, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express several times.

Lipsy had them made .

They were made in 500 blued and 500 SS.

AND SOLD OUT FAST.

I bought four sets of two conservatively .

Great caliber and fun guns.

They sold so fast Ruger made some more but Not for Lipsys.

I'm not sure about reaming .44 Special chambers to .44-40 or .38-40 in the New Vaqueros. The cylinder diameter is smaller than the OMV's and, at least in .45 LC, the index circle is smaller, leaving no room for the larger rims. They would overlap. Now those new .44 Mangle-em guns might work if they have cylinders of the same dimensions as the Old Vaquero/Super Blackhawks.

I have them in stock. They are posted in the SASS Merchant Corner.

J.B. , do you know if these are the remnants of the Lipsey's run , or is it a new limited release by Ruger?? They do not show in the Ruger website. Only 357s and 45s.

I do not remember the Birdshead model in the original 44 Special run , so maybe they are a new release.

I don't really need any , just curious. My main match set is a pair of blue 4 5/8" , and I have one of each of the 3 3/4".

Rex , a 44 fan. :D

Trailrider, I was fortunate enough to acquire a set of Lipsy .44 Spl with consecutive serial numbers. As it turned out I was able to purchase an extra set of cylinders chambered for .44 Spl. I had them reamed out to .44-40; there is enough room for the cartridge rims. They are now my main match revolvers.

The 44 Special Sheriff's are not Lipsey's left overs. They have a 512 prefix and are marked RUGER VAQUERO.

The 44 Mag Birdshead's have a 59 prefix and are marked RUGER NEW VAQUERO.

But apparently, the .44 Mag Birdshead is really an Old Model Vaquero frame...I think! Reminds me of two restaurants in San Francisco: One was called, "Joe's of Westlake" and the other "Original Joe's". But "Joes of Westlake" was the original "Joe's" and "Original Joe's" was actually the new "Joe's"! :wacko: Why mark the .44 Magnum as "Ruger New Vaquero"? Probably because they got rid of the old die!?!?

Bird heads Not Lipsys guns.

They are a special run of Ruger gun.

Archived