SASS Wire Forum

How about a wee Scottish ballad?

Utah Bob #35998

From the Spirits of the Glen CD one of my favorites. Mull of Kintyre.

and if you prefer the McCartney and Wings version

I was in the grocery store last week and the Dragoon Guards version was playing over the Musac speakers. Made it almost pleasant to be in the store for a few minutes. ;)

Ha! I have that CD (the RSDG, not Wings), given to me by a friend.

And a fine one it is!

A Scots ballad without the pipes might as well be Irish.

But the Irish have pipes too ya know! ;)

I could listen to the "Gael" all day. This is my favorite. MT

Yup. I put this one in the player and turn it up real loud (if the wife isn't with me) ;)

Thanks, Bob!

It just got me to thinking that my oldest daughter wants to take my wife and I (and my youngest daughter) to the Isle of Mull in 2017 for the next gathering of the Clan MacLean at Duart Castle. Mrs. Doc doesn't know. At some point, I need to get a passport, and get her to get hers, so the cat will be out of the bag then, I suppose.

Some good versions of The Gael there, but these are probably my favorites:

(because Dougie MacLean if no other reason)

OK, then there is this version, but I always lose track of the music for some reason :blush:;)

Here's the wife's favorite version. She loves the sound and plays it loud. Last of the Mohicans, is her favorite film. We watch it several times a year. When the movie came out, (before DVDs came out a month later), she saw it 3 times with friends, and twice with me. She always says, the music made 50% of the movie. We saw River Dance 2 times while it played here locally, "Gael" was one of the music themes. . MT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkvmrojwrzU

Yup. I put this one in the player and turn it up real loud (if the wife isn't with me) ;)

Like you Bob, when the wife is out of the house I'll put on some bagpipe music real loud. Seems when the sounds fills the room that it pierces the soul.

Thanks to youse guys, I have an evening's entertainment.

Always enjoyed the pipes and drums.

Years ago, I had the pleasure of watching a Tattoo at the Seattle Center.

A group came down from British Columbia and performed. We (wife and I)

with some very special friends. What an excellent evening.

Thanks for your post.

I fondly remember an evening in South Saint Paul MN at the CAF hanger. We were having a hanger dance, big band music on stage, the B-25 Miss Mitchell sitting in front of the hanger and a Scottish Pipe band to top it off. My wife was dressed up as a red cross nurse and I in my RAF uniform with the Poland shoulder titles and Polish Pilots wings and PAF hat device. Twas a night to remember.

A Scots ballad without the pipes might as well be Irish.

You know the Scots and Irish were initially the same ethnic group, right?

The Gaels were the Dark Age tribe from whom the Irish descend. "Ireland" is just an English translation of the Gaels' name for their island, Eire. Eire = Ireland. Get it? Say them both out loud and you'll quickly see it.

A Gaelic kingdom called Dal Riata comprised the northern portion of the Irish island (the rest of the island was divided among other Gaelic kingdoms), and expanded into western Scotland sometime around the 5th century AD, if memory serves. The western portion of Scotland was unoccupied until then, but the Dal Riata territory bumped into another Celtic tribe known as the Picts. Northern, eastern, and southern Scotland were then called Pictland.

Eventually, both Dal Riata and the Pictish kingdoms fell. Over time, the Gaels who were on the Scottish side of the Irish channel began inter-marrying with the Picts. The Pictish language died off and historians know very little about it. Most of their history was forgotten, too.

This ethnic group that was a combination of Gaels and Picts formed a new kingdom known as Alba (7th century AD, I think). By then, the Albannach (their word for the people of Alba), had done enough blending between Gael and Pict to be linguistically and ethnically different from their ancestors on the island of Ireland (Eire). For example, the Irish-Gaelic word for "Gaelic" is Gaeilge, but the Scottish (Albannach) word is Gaidhlig. They are similar, but different enough.

The Roman empire had a different word for the Albannach. In Latin, the language of Rome, they referred to the Albannach as Scotti, from which we derive the words "Scots" and "Scottish." So when I say I am of Scottish origin, I am really using a Roman Latin word. My own people's word for ourselves is Albannach.

In any event, musical style and language from modern day Ireland and Scotland sound similar because they have the same ancestral roots. Both cultures have bagpipes, but if you look closely, you can tell the difference between Irish and Scottish pipes. In fact, a lot of cultures use different versions of the bagpipe -- from Wales to Germany to even parts of Africa -- but the Scottish pipes are the most famous and most recognizable with Irish pipes being a distant second. Furthermore, there are other cultural similarities having roots in a common ancestor, such as the wearing of kilts by men. Although assigning a plaid pattern to a familial clan is a fairly recent invention, men wore kilts of many colors on both sides of the Irish channel.

Like you Bob, when the wife is out of the house I'll put on some bagpipe music real loud. Seems when the sounds fills the room that it pierces the soul.

There is no other way to play bagpipe music!

This is especially true with live music, because there is no way to control the volume on a set of bagpipes. The pipes physically cannot make the sound until the air passes over the reeds fast enough to be loud. Very loud.

Very, very loud.

That's why they make practice chanters, so pipers can practice the fingering while not destroying the whole neighborhood.

What a coincidence! I had the pleasure of being in the hospital for the past three days - got out Monday evenings - and I spent Sunday night/Monday morning searching iTunes for different versions of "Mull of Kintyre"! One of my favorite bagpipe songs.

Although I carry a German surname, thanks to Dad's side, my mother was a Scot. The sound of pipes stirs my soul, and drives feelings to my mind that come no other way. There was a piper at my wedding (quite a sight, given that 2/3 of the folks in the hall were Latvians from my wife's side, and they were all convinced that the piper had showed up at the wrong reception) and a piper at my mother's funeral (eerie and comforting at the same time). I cannot listen to well-played pipes without a tightness in my chest.

Many thanks for the tour.

And, yes, Mo...McCartney was in a group (or two) some years back :blink: . Reminds me of the time that I told my nephew that the group he was listening to, Starship, was a spin-off of Jefferson Starship, which was itself a spin-off of Jefferson Airplane, a group that was popular when I was in high school; he could not imagine that any group he was listening to could have been connected to music his old uncle enjoyed when he was young.

LL

So do the Poles. Polish bagpipes are made of goatskin with the hair left on. But while Poles and Scotts get along very well with Polish airmen stationed in Scotland during WW2 being made to feel at home, intermarrying Scottish lasses and some even being adopted as family the relationship between Poles and the Irish did not fair so well. a passage from the book "The Forgotten Few" Illustrates the point

Grouped together in their own squadron, the Poles were not on their best behaviour, like those posted to British units. ‘They were a complete law unto themselves,’ in the words of a British fitter stationed at Northolt. ‘Nobody could control them.’ Their clannishness and cockiness put backs up and irritated those less concerned with their flying and fighting skills than with having to live and work alongside them. ‘The Poles were a funny bunch, actually,’ remarked the same fitter. ‘We used to get along.... reasonably well, but there was no real love lost between us.’

There was even less love lost between the Poles and the detachment of Irish Guards assigned to the base, and their differences flared dangerously on at least two occasions. One was at a dance in Ruislip, when a disagreement over dancing partners turned into a pitched battle after which a number of guardsmen had to be hospitalized. The other was sparked off by an altercation between drunken Polish ground crew returning to base and guardsmen checking their passes. ‘Machine gun fire from the south-east corner of the aerodrome!’ barked the tannoy in the operations room, to the consternation of the station commander, Group Captain S F Vincent. ‘I became thoroughly alarmed, thinking of parachute attacks, fifth columnists or something equally serious,’ he writes. When he went outside his own ears confirmed his alarm. ‘There was the Guards and the Poles having a proper firefight.’ Both sides soon ran out of ammunition, and Vincent managed to restore order. He also managed, miraculously, to hush up the incident, thereby avoiding a string of enquiries and commissions, but he had the Irish Guards replaced by the Coldstream Guards.

Unofficially known as the "Battle of Northolt" by the Poles. I was stationed at RAF West Ruislip where we were close enough to see the Northolt station so spent a lot of time there sharing drinks with the RAF firemen stationed there. .

Aye, but the Irishers also have that "whiskey". Not the same damne thing. ;)

Aye, but the Irishers also have that "whiskey". Not the same damne thing. ;)

True.

It's better. :)

True.

It's better. :)

There's people that'll fight for a comment like that. I'm not one of them, but I know at least one.

Archived