SASS Wire Forum

Out-Britishing the British

Subdeacon Joe

Ironic.

The latest tanks with reactive armor, guided missile batteries, armored command and control vehicles with naval style radar ... and mounted lancers.

The "trot" seen in so many clips of the Indian army can't help but remind me of a Tennessee walking horse.

I'm with LaRue. Pretty, but are they real soldiers?

Ask the Pakistanis. ;)

Could have done without the metal head sound track. :rolleyes:

Ironic.

The latest tanks with reactive armor, guided missile batteries, armored command and control vehicles with naval style radar ... and mounted lancers.

Perhaps they have not heard about Poland in 1939.

Looks like some left arm/shoulder sockets are going to need some attention.

The Sikh have a good reputation also.

Observations : I suppose the marching styles Coke from the Brits. That big arm swing makes them bounce. "Eyes Right". Comes with a goose step. I never saw that before. Do they have pistol grips on the rifles?

One visiting dignitary had what looked like a bulletproof phone booth.

So many different uniforms. Other countries maybe?

I don't think much of the camo paint on the tanks.

Anyone brave enough to wear some of those hats are dudes to be avoided.

The Sikh have a good reputation also.

Observations : I suppose the marching styles Coke from the Brits. That big arm swing makes them bounce. "Eyes Right". Comes with a goose step. I never saw that before. Do they have pistol grips on the rifles?

One visiting dignitary had what looked like a bulletproof phone booth.

So many different uniforms. Other countries maybe?

I don't think much of the camo paint on the tanks.

Virtually all the Indian military tradition evolved from the British army. As with thr Brits, they still have different regimental dress uniforms, a holdover from Napoleonic times. Our army did away with that after the Rev war mostly. The volunteer units early in the Civil War had some distinctive uniforms initially.

Our forces are not flamboyant anymore, except for a few ceremonial units like the 3rd Inf in DC and the 1st Cavalry Div horse platoon.

I do not know who is designing our uniforms, but they need a crash course or something.

Bring back the OD wool/khaki cotton oufits, with the GARRISON HATS. :)

I also noticed the goose step with the eyes right thingy. Like something out of Nazi Germany

in 1940.

I do not know who is designing our uniforms, but they need a crash course or something.

Bring back the OD wool/khaki cotton oufits, with the GARRISON HATS. :)

I also noticed the goose step with the eyes right thingy. Like something out of Nazi Germany

in 1940.

Which uniforms do you speak of? The new blue ASU?

And eyes right on a tank is "point your gun at the grandstand"

I remember when the guys pointed their guns at Anwar Sadat's reviewing stand in '81. That didn't end well.

Which uniforms do you speak of? The new blue ASU?

The camo bags with the velcro insignias.

Dress uniforms are so so. But then the AG 44 Class As of 1960 were no Italian suit jobs either. :lol:

I did learn me something new today. I just watched a video of the Changing of the Guard at

Arlington. I noticed that the troops were carrying M14 rifles, sans magazines of course.

Never did understand the idea of putting a person on a guard post and not issuing ammunition

for the weapon. But then again, I guess the man is the weapon and the rifle is a tool.

The camo bags with the velcro insignias.

Dress uniforms are so so. But then the AG 44 Class As of 1960 were no Italian suit jobs either. :lol:

I did learn me something new today. I just watched a video of the Changing of the Guard at

Arlington. I noticed that the troops were carrying M14 rifles, sans magazines of course.

Never did understand the idea of putting a person on a guard post and not issuing ammunition

for the weapon. But then again, I guess the man is the weapon and the rifle is a tool.

They have made more uniform changes in the past 15 years than the previous 50. The latest multicam combat uniform seems to be an improvement. Active duty guys could provide more info.

The problem I have is allowing the soldiers to wear the combat unform everywhere because some bozo in DC decided it showed our readiness to fight terrorism or some such crap. At last the Marines still dress up when in public.

As for the Tomb guards, they are a ceremonial guard. Ceremonial guards are seldom armed. But if the serious shtf they have armed backup that can be there in less than a minute.

Bring back the khaki TWs sez I.

"The problem I have is allowing the soldiers to wear the combat unform everywhere because some bozo in DC decided it showed our readiness to fight terrorism or some such crap. At last the Marines still dress up when in public."

AMEN BROTHER!

They had the dress uniform problem solved in 1945 and have been playing games with it ever since, but the camo bags that serve as field or work uniforms are ludicrous. Wearing them off duty should be banned.

Duffield

Not certain about the head dress either.
Back in the day, we had the Ridgway hats, and Fidel Castro had one too.

Another gift from the French, a kepi. Then we got the beret. Another European

gift. WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH THE GARRISON HAT? Or the

Campaign hat?

Not certain about the head dress either.

Back in the day, we had the Ridgway hats, and Fidel Castro had one too.

Another gift from the French, a kepi. Then we got the beret. Another European

gift. WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH THE GARRISON HAT? Or the

Campaign hat?

I doubt that the campaign hat will be brought back, although it is uniquely American. Too much association with drill sergeants. I think there is a good chance that the beret will eventually go away. Hopefully it will be replaced with a garrison cap, but not the one from the 60s, which was ugly, but the WWII type. That was a cool one. But it actually wasn't an American design originally. Not much is.

Back to the Indian parade: I can't think of a more exhausting way to march anywhere and not be carrying a battle load.

Generally that step is only done in front of the reviewing stand. It is exhausting.

Well, my take is that the Campaign hat and the Garrison hat are way more cool than the Kepi. :o

;) USAAF WWII cap.

1n8Uso.jpg

Not gonna sleep well tonight. Looks too much like 1st Sgt Fred "Red" Barron.

No doubt many years after he retired. :D

My dad wore one of those!

Archived