SASS Wire Forum

Are you carrying a gun

Tequila Jim #14501

Thought I would share a little story told to me by my barber. Seems he went

to the local VA office and as he left the building he was approached by two

police officers. He was asked if he was carrying a gun on his person. So the

barber was asker to raise his hands and was patted down. Seems the way

his suspenders were attached to his pants some one thought he was carrying.

No further info was offered and I didn't push for more. Regards, TUJ

Tell Sackett,

You are incorrect.

Read the O.P.'s location. From what I read conceal carry permits in California are hard to come by so responding to a citizen so pat searching when investigating a complaint about someone with a gun is legal.

The Supreme Court in Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968) ruled it is legal for a LEO to pat search someone for their safety.

Also rules are different on federal property. I'll bet the VA has a sign on the door...no weapons, concealed carry, etc.

Completely unconstitutional. Yet people submit.

Wrong-that's a legal search anywhere/anytime and not just on fed. property. It was done for officer safety and responding to a call with suspect's description. ;)

OLG.

Yesterday a guy with a firearm tok a nurse hostage in the Denver VA hospital.

Apparently there was not a no gun sign on that VA door...

Apparently there was not a no gun sign on that VA door...

That could be the only explanation. ;)

The VA hospital in Columbia MO has a sign in front of the parking lot that no firearms are permitted on the property. So, you would be in violation even if you left your gun locked, unloaded in a case in your car trunk.

What would have happened if the barber said, "No, I want my laywer before I say anything else to you." He is not under arrest. There is no warrant of any kind.

I was asked to leave a local governement build because of a 2.5" knife that I use daily to open boxes. They considered it a weapon. I left quietly and called an LE friend to ask if a small pocket knife is really a weapon. He is a 25 year LE veteran who knows his stuff. He said that it depends where I am. A sign on a government building that says no weapons means nothing that shoots, is sharp, is pointy or is a bludgeon. That same sign in a business means only a gun. That same sign in a city county or state park means a gun. That same sign in a federal park has a disputable meaning.

Also rules are different on federal property. I'll bet the VA has a sign on the door...no weapons, concealed carry, etc.

And on every road in and out of the facility.

I habitually carry a pair of knives with 2 1/2" blades and have been told by security at the VA hospital that they are NOT considered weapons unless the blade exceeds 3 1/2"

What would have happened if the barber said, "No, I want my laywer before I say anything else to you." He is not under arrest. There is no warrant of any kind.

Already been answered. I provided the Supreme Court decision that makes a pat-down search for weapons legal. Lawyers are useful in court not on the street.

I was asked to leave a local governement build because of a 2.5" knife that I use daily to open boxes. They considered it a weapon. I left quietly and called an LE friend to ask if a small pocket knife is really a weapon.

It is even worse with the TSA. A few years ago my wife and I were doing a lot of flying on commercial airlines. Up to that time I had carried a small Swiss Army knife for many years. You know. The one with a blade about 1 1/2" long, fingernail file and tweezers. Well one particular day I forgot I had it and tossed in into the plastic bin with the rest of my pocket stuff for screening. A rather tall female TSA Agent freaked out when she saw it. She picked it up, held it up for everyone to see and yelled, yep yelled, "whose knife is this?" As you can imagine everybody froze and the entire area got so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I said "mine. why?" She then continued to yell and inform me that it was illegal and I couldn't take it onto the plane, Now I was getting concerned. She was not calming down and yelling at me about not being able to take the knife onto the plane. I expected armed officers to arrive and I had decided that when they did I was going to raise my hands and lay down on the floor as I knew I was going to be taken down hard.

Anyway she finally calmed down some after I told her to just throw the knife away. After clearing the checkpoint I asked another older more mature TSA Agent about bringing the knife onto the plane. He sighed and told me that technically anything with one sharp edge including fingernail files regardless of their length are prohibited.

For those that have special training such as in the military, law enforcement and corrections we know how easy it is to make weapons from readily available common items.

He is a 25 year LE veteran who knows his stuff. He said that it depends where I am. A sign on a government building that says no weapons means nothing that shoots, is sharp, is pointy or is a bludgeon. That same sign in a business means only a gun. That same sign in a city county or state park means a gun. That same sign in a federal park has a disputable meaning.

I don't know which is scarier to me.

Five guys get together and agree that this warrantless search is legal, thereby throwing the Fourth Amendment in the trash.

Or that so many people think that's okay. "THESE FIVE PEOPLE said it's legal, so it's legal."

When the Supreme Court decides that the Second only applies to Brown Bess muskets, will they all decide, "My cowboy guns, and self-defense guns, and evil black rifles are no longer legal, so I'll hurry on down to the cop shop and turn them in"?

I don't know which is scarier to me.

Five guys get together and agree that this warrantless search is legal, thereby throwing the Fourth Amendment in the trash.

Or that so many people think that's okay. "THESE FIVE PEOPLE said it's legal, so it's legal."

When the Supreme Court decides that the Second only applies to Brown Bess muskets, will they all decide, "My cowboy guns, and self-defense guns, and evil black rifles are no longer legal, so I'll hurry on down to the cop shop and turn them in"?

Yes. Elections are important, and the next one will more than likely appoint 2 Supreme Court Justices. Choose wisely, Grasshopper.

ok, this is a bit off topic but, "Seems the way his suspenders were attached to his pants some one thought he was carrying"... What way are suspenders attached differently when you carry??

Archived