SASS Wire Forum

Number of chambers in pistol

Blastmaster

Per SHB, page 9. it says no less than five and no more than six chambers

REVOLVER CYLINDERS

Centerfire and rimfire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers.

• The front of the cylinder may be beveled.

• Unfluted cylinders may be fluted.

• Lead in grooves may be cut or extended.

• The revolver may be altered to allow the cylinder to spin in either direction.

• Cylinders may be rebored, lined, or sleeved to any of the approved revolver calibers provided industry safe limits are maintained.

• Cylinders must be made of steel or iron only.

Question:

main match pistol in question has more than six chambers. Is there an acceptable way to TEMPORARY plug/disable the 6th/7th/8th/whatever chamber to satisfy SASS rules?

Thanks,

If it has more than 6 it is not a main match legal SASS revolver. If you chose to let someone use this in a SASS match then whatever you see fit to let them plug it with is what they can use.

Per SHB, page 9. it says no less than five and no more than six chambers

REVOLVER CYLINDERS

Centerfire and rimfire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers.

• The front of the cylinder may be beveled.

• Unfluted cylinders may be fluted.

• Lead in grooves may be cut or extended.

• The revolver may be altered to allow the cylinder to spin in either direction.

• Cylinders may be rebored, lined, or sleeved to any of the approved revolver calibers provided industry safe limits are maintained.

• Cylinders must be made of steel or iron only.

Question:

main match pistol in question has more than six chambers. Is there an acceptable way to TEMPORARY plug/disable the 6th/7th/8th/whatever chamber to satisfy SASS rules?

Thanks,

NO

Blastmaster

Your plan sounds perfectly fine to me. As long as I get to work the unloading table. :)

There are no rhyme or reason to some SASS rules. The Nagant which was seldom seen in the west is legal but the Colt Thunderer and Lightning are not, and neither is the Civil War period correct LaMat.. The 45 cowboy special is legal but of course never existed

Other

Reference to it being SASS legal with 7 chambers please?

SHB - other approved handguns

_1892patent1.jpg

As you can see, the Nagant comes with either six or seven shot cylinders. SASS says Six max for main match, therefore, the seven shot cylinder would not be SASS legal.

More info on the Nagant here http://russianrevolvers.com/nagant_development.html

Regards

There are no rhyme or reason to some SASS rules. The Nagant which was seldom scene in the west is legal but the Colt Thunderer and Lightning are not, and neither is the Civil War period correct LaMat.. The 45 cowboy special is legal but of course never existed

I have several original Thunders in 41 LC & a Lightning in 38 LC, they are all double action not single action. The reproductions I've seen are all single action and perfectly legal to use as a main match revolver.

Grey Beard

Other

SHB - other approved handguns

Thanks,

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

• Small frame Model P revolvers such as the Cimarron Firearms Lightning, Uberti Stallion, and Ruger Single Six .32 H & R Magnum.

• Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories).

• US Firearms Omni Potent Revolver.

• Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum

. • Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver.

Gun in question: Ruger Single Six-327 federal mag. A seven chamber. Has adjustable sites, but another thread has answered that.

Close enough to Ruger SS-32H&R Mag?

There are no rhyme or reason to some SASS rules.

The Nagant which was seldom scene in the west is legal but the Colt Thunderer and Lightning are not,

Because they are DOUBLE ACTION revolvers.

and neither is the Civil War period correct LaMat.

The LeMat is LEGAL.

The chamber rule applies to CARTRIDGE revolvers...NOT percussion arms.

The 45 cowboy special is legal but of course never existed

So are the magnum cartridges... .357, .41 and .44...and the original toggle-link rifles were never chambered in .45 Colt...so what's your point?

Gun in question: Ruger Single Six-327 federal mag. A seven chamber. Has adjustable sites, but another thread has answered that.

NO...the Ruger 7-shot revolver has been specifically ruled as ILLEGAL under the previously cited regs.

(see post #4)

_1892patent1.jpg

As you can see, the Nagant comes with either six or seven shot cylinders. SASS says Six max for main match, therefore, the seven shot cylinder would not be SASS legal.

More info on the Nagant here http://russianrevolvers.com/nagant_development.html

Regards

I believe the Nagant in question, and approved by the rules is the 7 shot Russian model commonly imported. It came in both single action and double action. At the time of its approval, the SASS wire had complete instructions on how to convert (by removing one part) the DA version to SA.

The Nagant which was seldom scene in the west is legal but the Colt Thunderer and Lightning are not,

The LeMat is LEGAL.

So are the magnum cartridges... .357, .41 and .44...and the original toggle-link rifles were never chambered in .45 Colt...so what's your point?

The LeMat is LEGAL.

I'm not finding any mention of that in the rule book

Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber. • Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt. • Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category

In what revolver is the 45 Cowboy commonly available in?

In what revolver is the 45 Cowboy commonly available in?

Any pistol that is chambered for .45 colt - just like the vast majority that shoot .38s in a .357 chamber.

I have several original Thunders in 41 LC & a Lightning in 38 LC, they are all double action not single action. The reproductions I've seen are all single action and perfectly legal to use as a main match revolver.

Grey Beard

There are NO reproductions of the Colt Lightning and Thunderer double action 6 guns. None.

The Cimarron Lightning and Thunderer models are SAA/Peacemaker copies with birdshead grips. Only the names are the same

Any pistol that is chambered for .45 colt - just like the vast majority that shoot .38s in a .357 chamber.

That does not answer the question I can buy a 38 but can I buy a gun chambered for just the 45 Cowboy? btw I like the concept but is it legal

Please READ the rule you quoted in post #23...

The rule refers to CALIBER...not "cartridge"...the .45 qualifies no matter how long (or short) the case is; as long as it meets either the PF/MinVel regs or the BP smoke standard.

Please READ the rule you quoted in post #23...

The rule refers to CALIBER...not "cartridge"...the .45 qualifies no matter how long (or short) the case is; as long as it meets either the PF/MinVel regs or the BP smoke standard.

Thank you sir I wouldn't want your job, but if it as you say caliber why doesn't it just say that, instead of enumerating cartridges that are acceptable? It would be a whole lot simpler to just say any revolver diameter bullet between .312 and .457 The commonly chambered in a revolver line is where I find the question. Again thank you for your guidance

That does not answer the question I can buy a 38 but can I buy a gun chambered for just the 45 Cowboy? btw I like the concept but is it legal

I have not seen or heard of one chambered specifically for C45S.

Thanks,

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

• Small frame Model P revolvers such as the Cimarron Firearms Lightning, Uberti Stallion, and Ruger Single Six .32 H & R Magnum.

• Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories).

• US Firearms Omni Potent Revolver.

• Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum

. • Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver.

It would seem to me that you might want to start a groundswell attempt to have the pistol allowed as an exception. It certainly qualifies in appearance and function (SA). I can see no advantage to it, other than the slightly shorter distance the cylinder must travel to engage the next chamber. But less than 8 degrees difference hardly seems worth noting. I assume that these revolvers are available in some quantity, at a lesser price than what the 32 H&R mag version has become?

It would seem to me that you might want to start a groundswell attempt to have the pistol allowed as an exception. It certainly qualifies in appearance and function (SA). I can see no advantage to it, other than the slightly shorter distance the cylinder must travel to engage the next chamber. But less than 8 degrees difference hardly seems worth noting. I assume that these revolvers are available in some quantity, at a lesser price than what the 32 H&R mag version has become?

The ROC has already ruled on that model revolver as NOT in compliance with the rules.

Unless a couple hundred members INSIST on getting it "legalized" for SASS competition and can plead their case successfully to get that ruling overturned, I don't foresee any reconsideration of the issue.

Thank you sir I wouldn't want your job, but if it as you say caliber why doesn't it just say that, instead of enumerating cartridges that are acceptable? It would be a whole lot simpler to just say any revolver diameter bullet between .312 and .457 The commonly chambered in a revolver line is where I find the question. Again thank you for your guidance

Henry.

FYI.

I suspect there is a large percentage of folks that are not up to speed on what is/isn't a pistol cartridge and especially when it comes to SASS. I believe the high lighted phrase below is a good attempt from SASS to help folks understand what SASS is talking about as far as acceptable ammunition.

the 38LC, 45CS, 327mag, 32LC and numerous other cartridges are in the "not limited to", but legal, category. they were just not thought of, or didn't exist at time of rule making.

Hope this helps.

SHB-pg10

REVOLVER CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

• Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category only

. • Although the .32 caliber revolvers and .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers are legal, they may not be powerful enough to handle all reactive targets.

Good try Goody, I appreciate it.

They don't make Ruger Single Six 32 H&R mags (6chambers) any more. At one time they made the Baby Vaquero with adj sights as well and at one time, they were a hot commodity because they were rare, small, light wt, good for duelist and such.

The Ruger Single Six 327federal Magnum is a special run from Ruger and is basically a Single Six with one more chamber, unfluted cylinder, chambered for 327 (an elongated 32 H&RMag- 32 caliber). Working pressure is greater than 32H&R mag. Possible bullet selection goes from 78g-115g lead

The only reason it is not legal is it does not pass the maximum of six(6) chamber rules. But I suspect it would pass the unofficial 5ft visual rule. As well, ya never load more than five anyway & hammer down on empty can be meet.,,, but a rule is a rule and what the original logic of the 6chamber rule was excapes me. There must have been a Single Action pistol they were specifically targeting to exclude,,,,at time of writing.

Yes, the rule could be changed but there isn't enough interest to do such. Seems other internal/external modifications/exceptions to firearms can be made, but not in this case. Didn't hurt to ask, perhaps there was (but not the case) an acceptable solution to my question that wasn't on the books.

I suppose that if one welded the seventh chamber closed, it then would pass, since the seventh chamber, is no longer a chamber.

Anyway, the ROC has spoken

Good try Goody, I appreciate it.

They don't make Ruger Single Six 32 H&R mags (6chambers) any more. At one time they made the Baby Vaquero with adj sights as well and at one time, they were a hot commodity because they were rare, small, light wt, good for duelist and such.

The Ruger Single Six 327federal Magnum is a special run from Ruger and is basically a Single Six with one more chamber, unfluted cylinder, chambered for 327 (an elongated 32 H&RMag- 32 caliber). Working pressure is greater than 32H&R mag. Possible bullet selection goes from 78g-115g lead

The only reason it is not legal is it does not pass the maximum of six(6) chamber rules. But I suspect it would pass the unofficial 5ft visual rule. As well, ya never load more than five anyway & hammer down on empty can be meet.,,, but a rule is a rule and what the original logic of the 6chamber rule was excapes me. There must have been a Single Action pistol they were specifically targeting to exclude,,,,at time of writing.

Yes, the rule could be changed but there isn't enough interest to do such. Seems other internal/external modifications/exceptions to firearms can be made, but not in this case. Didn't hurt to ask, perhaps there was (but not the case) an acceptable solution to my question that wasn't on the books.

I suppose that if one welded the seventh chamber closed, it then would pass, since the seventh chamber, is no longer a chamber.

Anyway, the ROC has spoken

Easy solution for you! Have a quality gunsmith fit a six shot cylinder to each one. Problem solved. No need to bother anyone to get a rule changed. I believe I have at least one .32 mag cylinder laying around. Maybe two.

The ROC has already ruled on that model revolver as NOT in compliance with the rules.

Unless a couple hundred members INSIST on getting it "legalized" for SASS competition and can plead their case successfully to get that ruling overturned, I don't foresee any reconsideration of the issue.

Yessir, I understand. But that is why I suggested a "groundswell" campaign to gather support for his request.

Archived