SASS Wire Forum

The 9 second Gamer Stage

For yesterdays monthly match Stoney Creek included the Gamer Stage which I provided from the recent Ohio State Match. We only had 21 shooters which isn't huge but it included a good cross-section of abilities and age variables. All of them had a real blast (pardon the pun) trying their hand at the speed stage which they were told about as being completed in 9 seconds by Deuce Stevens. Except were there were a couple of train wrecks the vast majority of the shooters were able to achieve a personal best and for many finally get below 40, 35,30,25 or 20 seconds. The grins and chuckles carried on for the remainder of the stages ( the other stages were great too) and at the lunch and score readout Stoney could barely be heard for all the laughter and jostling among the crowd.

I think the observation made here is that fun and entertainment are what we all look for at a match. And people do seem to like Big and Close including those that have been around since the beginning of this game.

Well Done Stoney Creek!

Colt

Would it be possible to post a lay out with target distances and shooting instructions?

Details on the stage are: 10-10-2 stand and deliver, two 2-1-2 sweeps (yes you may) with rifle, same with pistol, shotgun targets on far left and right. Start with gun of choice in hand. Targets at Ohio were in the 24" area, maybe bigger with pistol about 5 yards out and rifle 7 yards. You could "game" it as much as you wanted. Example, stage pistols on table or restage them on table. Total shooters choice!!!! Ours at the match yesterday were around 7 yards and I managed 16 seconds shooting Gunfighter and "Slow Don" managed 13 seconds

This stage certainly got the posse excited and I plan to use it again and again.

You cannot get too much of a good thing.

Many shooters never really extend themselves even during practice sessions. Doing so during a match was new to some of the posse and they found it was a lot fun.

As Colt said many shot their personal best times and they want to try this stage again.

With increased excitement level and higher heart rates I will make sure the club defibrillator is in good working order . :D

Blastmaster, you may be on to something or maybe not.

Cowboy Action Dirt Shooting.?

Just add to the Stage Description,,,,,," Misses do not count as Misses." Perhaps you could get sub 9-second stages. equals, more fun.

Nothing like putting 22 shots into the dirt as fast as you can.

Obviously you can write any stage description you want at your match, but if misses don't count you can save on targets. When Deuce Stevens shot the stage at Ohio State he hit all the targets and I think that is what we all would want to do......just shooting as fast as we can might be good for practice, but, come on......let's hit the target. As for me, I could have help and still not achieve what Deuce did, but it would always be fun trying to break a personal time barrier on a stage.

KK

Just add to the Stage Description,,,,,," Misses do not count as Misses." Perhaps you could get sub 9-second stages. equals, more fun.

I guess you could call your stage the stick in the mud run! :lol:

Spades H.

I once wrote a 10-10-10 stage,,, one big target!

Each to their own! Set that up and invite all your friends!!!!

The difference between putting all rounds on one big and close target very fast vs in dirt very fast is?

One is on steel and other in dirt. Both are merely a test of shooters hand speed, a talent to be in wonderment about.

The targets in the OP were not a gimme. There were plenty of misses and other issues caused by folks over running their guns/abilities.

I shot a 14,,, first time I haven't crashed on the gamer stage at hard times!!!

I enjoy gamer stages though I typically crash and burn on them. Every now and then though, the planets are in alignment and I hold my tongue just right and I hear the angels sing.

The targets in the OP were not a gimme. There were plenty of misses and other issues caused by folks over running their guns/abilities.

Thanks for pointing that out Hombre! There sure were issues! Such as jacked out rounds and fumbling of shotgun shells and misses too. And no they were not gimmies. I know that for sure and for certain! I managed 17 seconds with one miss !!! Dang!

I shot it in 16 seconds and fumbled a bit on my shotgun. The fun part was to go as fast as you can in any order you want, with multiple targets. That was the first time I had shot a stage like that and I loved it.

If all 12 were like that it would be a different story. But one stage like that every once in a while is fun.

Funny to find this thread now as every yr our home club splits up the duties of writting senerios and running the match..

So I am having the first annual CHICKEN SHOOT at the Oxford Regulators club July 12th it will be 6 stages of stand and deliver with long guns on the table pistols holstered.

All stages 10-10-4+ Simple no thought senerios very close targets all 16" squares at about 4 yards pistol 10 yards rifle 9-12 yard SG..

Shooters may shoot guns in any order on every stage..

I left the art work with Taz of Klassic Laser for the plaques this weekend at the Tri State Championships yes plaques for the top ten HEN's and top ten Roosters. Also top 15 cert. awards as well..

I have also had Tazz make me some TRAIN WRECK awards which will be voted on by each posse as to who on their posse had the worst train wreck, because as many here have said there will be a bunch!!!

TRAIN WRECK awards will read U CHOKED YER CHICKEN with a hangmans noose from the bottem of the plaque with a rubber chicken hanging from it... :lol:;):P

The theme is LET THE FEATHERS FLY --- CAN YOU RULE THE ROOST. We already have alot of people that are coming and think it will be a hoot..

Spades H.

So, what were the details of the stage?

shooter starts standing gamey as possible....gun of choice may be in hand,s....shooter may have shotshells in hand but not touching gun. guns any order, don't end with rifle. rifle 2 separate 2-1-2 sweeps from either direction, yes you may. Pistols same instructions....sg 2+ till down.....targets were about 16x24in....target distance-pistol 6 1/2 yds...rifle 10 yds shotgun 9 yds with about a 12 ft. spread. pistols may be staged on table and returned to table....all shot from same location..

Heeee Haaaa .. That was an AWESOME stage.. :P Except I had so much smoke down range :o spotters could not see the HITS.. ;) Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :unsure:

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I think my neighbor practices for that on a regular basis (and all this time I just thought he was flashing back)

I tried to do a mental test sitting at my desk and wondered if I could run through a stage like this in my head in 9 seconds and I can't even get close. That means Deuce is faster than the speed of thought (well mine anyway).

If you've never had the pleasure of seeing someone of Deuce's caliber shoot, then you would be standing there with your mouth open. We call him a borg in a friendly way. He is a phenom.... and from what I heard at the Ohio State it sounded like a full auto going off.

Keep in mind that he shoots ten rounds from holstered pistols in a little over 2 seconds and the rifle in the same ball park.

At the Goldcoast Gunslingers in Ft Lauderdale they have a large cowboy that is a dump stage and it is surprising how many people overrun their talent....lol.

KK

If you've never had the pleasure of seeing someone of Deuce's caliber shoot, then you would be standing there with your mouth open. We call him a borg in a friendly way. He is a phenom.... and from what I heard at the Ohio State it sounded like a full auto going off.Keep in mind that he shoots ten rounds from holstered pistols in a little over 2 seconds and the rifle in the same ball park.At the Goldcoast Gunslingers in Ft Lauderdale they have a large cowboy that is a dump stage and it is surprising how many people overrun their talent....lol.KK

Had the pleasure of watching him tackle the speed shotgun side match at a Winter Range a couple of years ago but not been on the same posse.................yet.

Had the pleasure of watching him tackle the speed shotgun side match at a Winter Range a couple of years ago but not been on the same posse.................yet.

You've been on a posse with me, ain't that close?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAAAHAHA

Here is a video with movement in the 11 second range.

or you can simply type in "Youtube.com" and then search Deuce Stevens and you can watch him set a bunch of records with individual guns.

I am fortunate to get to see Deuce shoot at "Paradise Pass" on a regular basis and besides being a top shooter he's an alright guy who will help anyone who asks. He rates very high in my book of standards.

KK

The whole Michigan crew that comes down to shoot with us is first class. I tend to look at people (I hate to say judge...) by how they treat my wife and kids. The respect given to my girls is second to none. Help is gave freely when asked. Sitting the fire with Mingo, South Paul, Straight Arrow and Deuce has been a riot!

Edit: And for the record: It aint a 9 second stage!!! It's a 21 second stage with a miss!

The whole Michigan crew that comes down to shoot with us is first class. I tend to look at people (I hate to say judge...) by how they treat my wife and kids. The respect given to my girls is second to none. Help is gave freely when asked. Sitting the fire with Mingo, South Paul, Straight Arrow and Deuce has been a riot!

Edit: And for the record: It aint a 9 second stage!!! It's a 21 second stage with a miss!

You're right. Deuce showed us how to shoot it in 9 seconds. What the heck were we doin the rest of the time. :)

Archived