SASS Wire Forum

Gun found while metal detecting

Flush Draw

I was detecting an old farmstead yesterday and found this old gun. Its a Hero MFA Co. Derringer. They were made 1861 to 1868. Its .32 caliber. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it from the earth. They were known as a poor mans gun or a boot gun and there were 5000+ made.

IMG_20150328_175915237_zpsqgwwtsan.jpg

I found this site on mapworks and did an over lay on a current satellite image. In the middle of a bean field.

Care must be taken. A person I know found a Civil War musket. The musket was found to still be loaded and it was capped. The idiot then replaced the cap and gave it a whack. the result was a bunch of Musket parts. The powder was still viable.

Coffinmaker

We have an old farm site that dates back in early 1800s. I got a metal detector and the granddaughters and I did a sweep in the area. The detection just screamed. There must have been a hundred sets of harness and many wagons and buggies rot down around the house and yard.

This place is huge and its loaded down with iron. Ive found three crotal bells, buckles, a rein guide, horse shoes, reeds, silver spoons, axe heads.... in the last couple of days. Just gotta run low and slow. Use a small coil and run your detector wide open.

A guy who used to be on our local shooting board was a whiz at finding stuff. He lives in an area where a lot of action occurred during the War of 1812 and he's found musket balls, knives, buckles, and coins. He's also good at recognizing foundations of old houses that have burned or were torn down, and has found toys and tableware. (He said along the inside of the foundation was a good place to search because stuff usually fell through cracks in the floors along the walls.)

Here in NY we're not allowed to detect in state parks, which is kind of a shame because there are parks built on old fort sites. (Although I know why it's not allowed - everybody and his cousin would be digging up the parks.)

I can't say I've ever found anything useful, other than an arrow that I had lost my ownself.

I was detecting an old farmstead yesterday and found this old gun. Its a Hero MFA Co. Derringer. They were made 1861 to 1868. Its .32 caliber. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it from the earth. They were known as a poor mans gun or a boot gun and there were 5000+ made.

IMG_20150328_175915237_zpsqgwwtsan.jpg

I found this site on mapworks and did an over lay on a current satellite image. In the middle of a bean field.

Could you provide a link that details a how-to on satellite overlays???

Found a 1839 seated dime today.

IMG_20150329_145656980_zpssnxku3ka.jpg

According to my inflation calculator whatever that dime would buy when new would now cost a whopping $2.19... :)

Back in about 1996, in Monterey, CA, a pard of mine was watching a guy use his metal detector in a public park- a no-no. The guy found a Mexican War era U.S. Dragoons officer's sword belt buckle. My pal offered him $200 on the spot for it, but the guy passed and kept the buckle. Wish I knew what became of that buckle.

We can hunt most public parks here. State parks sometimes have permits available and Federal parks are off limits. That buckles a great find.

It looks like the county I live in is pretty lenient regarding the local parks. I need to get an update, and maybe it is time to pull the detector back out.

“You can use your metal detecting equipment in the open park areas, you are required to return the turf to it's original condition. You are not permitted to go on any athletic areas; softball, baseball, soccer, golf courses, etc. You are not permitted to go into any fenced/secured areas, pools, stadiums, etc. You are not permitted to utilize your equipment while events are ongoing in the parks.” -Tim Smith, CEO, National Trail Parks and Recreation District 4/8/2010

Archived