SASS Wire Forum

Weather

Utah Bob #35998

I was just flipping channels and saw CNN coverage of the blizzard. Evidently it is a Donner Pass situation or Ice Age at the very least. They made it sound like all the folks up there will be snowed in for months and they might as well plan on starting to eat the neighbors!!!

Not that bad when your neighbors are deer.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it really bad?? Haven't most folks been able to prepare?

It's like “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy"

No matter what you do to prepare, something can happen that makes it all suck. 9 times out of 10, no big deal.

The electric companies already have extra crews coming in.

My daughter and son-in-law bought a house with a very steep driveway and my son-in-law, being the over prepared kind of guy he is, bought 22 bags of salt at Costco. (cleaned out a pallet) Some other customer said "why don't you leave some for the rest of us?" Tony said "well, there are three more pallets over there."

Clay:

What town?

I lived in Belmont at that time, and cross-country skied into Harvard Square. Unearthly transformation from bustling urban area to frozen, white, absolutely silent wonderland. Not a vehicle on the road. Michael Dukakis in his turtleneck on TV, telling everyone to stay home.

The problem in the urban areas is that there are many more roads to clear, cars parked on all of them, and no reasonable way to clear snow expeditiously. Most folks do not have generators, and if you lose your power, you probably lose your water (electric pump) and heat (electric circulator pumps or furnace fan) as well. It can be real challenging. Right now, I have 5 gal. buckets of water in each bathroom for flushing without well supply, 20 gal. of bottled water in the kitchen, a propane camp stove in the kitchen, and 2 cords of wood stacked, dry, covered and within arms reach of the back door. At least we have a fireplace.

I already told my wife that if we have another power outage this winter, I am investing in a generator. As you get older, you are less physically capable of coping with this stuff. Dad is down the street, and depends on an electrically powered oxygen concentrator to breathe. I'll bring him up here tonight before the bad snow starts, where at least I can plug his machine into the 110 outlet in the Jeep.

It is nothing to panic over; just plan and act in advance.

LL

We lived in Maynard, next to Concord. Our house was on a small hill, took me two tries to get up the hill to our street. I made the corner, slid our pinto station wagon cross ways into the driveway, and there it stayed for almost a week. When the storm was over the only thing showing was the top 3 inches of the radio antenna. Took a while to dig it out, but with the street blocked was no rush.

Not that bad when your neighbors are deer.

They are the neighbors that I get along with. Most of the others are 80 or more years old, would have to boil them a long time to get them eatable.

Governor Cuomo explained that.

Most powerlines are above ground.

There are trees.

When show builds up on trees, the limbs get heavy.

When they get heavy they break and fall on power lines.

When they fall on power lines, the power lines break and the power goes out.

So there ya go.

Good that he explained that.

Oy.

:rolleyes:

It was 84 degrees and HOT and WINDY yesterday at the Range in Norco where the Cowboys shoot

Today iz 61 degrees and raining.....Go figure. Love my So/Cal weather. Just sayin'

Jake

There are trees.

So there ya go.

Oy.

It's the weather that makes the trees and the people stronger, till they can't take it any more.

Well, it looks like the Apocalypse will pass.

We've got 6-8 inches at present, and a howling wind, but the snow is dry and fine, and it really doesn't look like a blizzard.

The Weather Channel has revised all snow estimates downward.

It's not that I'm complaining...but if you call a blizzard, well then GIVE us a blizzard!

LL

We've got 6-8 inches at present, and a howling wind, but the snow is dry and fine, and it really doesn't look like a blizzard.

It's not that I'm complaining...but if you call a blizzard, well then GIVE us a blizzard!

LL

Happens all the time. When I put the tractor a the head of the driveway, the storm disintegrates. If I leave it in the deep woods, I get two feet of snow and a hydraulic line breaks while the tractor is in the woods.

May have spoken too soon. Now snowing 2"- 4" per hour, with 40-50 mph winds. Prediction is that this will keep up for most of the day, then taper to Wednesday.

Still have power.

Winds over Nantucket at almost 80 mph. Seas running 20-25 feet. Cape Cod is getting pounded.

LL

Four minutes after my last post we lost power; just got it back. Although we have underground electric lines, it appears that one of our 90' pines toppled onto a transformer box along the road in front of my house. Spent the down time watching the crews cut up the tree and repair the transformer. Man, those guys are good; I would not take that job for anything.

Snowing heavier now, and drifting high. This is getting interesting.

LL

LL, you're getting hit harder then I am. I'm about 5 miles south of Hartford, CT and while this isn't a nothing storm, it certainly isn't the end of the world the weather weenies were screeching about either. Maybe 12" on the ground, it's hard to tell with the wind blowing everything around, but it does look like it will be nowhere near as bad as the one 2 years ago when we got 3 feet.

I'm just east of Danbury, in Western CT. We only have @ 4-5" of new snow (snowed @3 " on Fri eve) here so far. It is supposed to snow rest of a.m. But, storm starts it's taper at noon. Maybe 3 more in. The further east in CT, the worse it is. Best Wishes to folks east of Hartford. Some places have 20" already. I'm w/Chantry, this is not a nothing storm, but way less than they were selling last evening.

There are trees.

So there ya go.

Oy.

The way we do it here is having a kill zone. 12' either side of a power line, no trees, no limbs allowed. Every 10 years crews come through to take out anything in that zone. So, where you live don't plant any trees you want within that zone or it will be gone. That way when snow/ice storms hit no limbs will be anywhere near those power lines. Works for us, but then again that is New York. :lol:

Oh yea, 50's today, 60's tomorrow :)

So there's apparently 2 computer models. The European and a brand new GFS model. CNN is saying that the new model predicted exactly what is happpening. 8-12" in NYC.

But it seems that seeing as the GFS is a new program, not many forecasters trusted it.

Now they do. :rolleyes:

De Blabio is real popular for shutting down the city. Looks like eastern Mass is getting the worst of it.

So there's apparently 2 computer models. The European and a brand new GFS model. CNN is saying that the new model predicted exactly what is happpening. 8-12" in NYC.

But it seems that seeing as the GFS is a new program, not many forecasters trusted it.

Now they do. :rolleyes:

De Blabio is real popular for shutting down the city. Looks like eastern Mass is getting the worst of it.

Yep; it shifted east, and just skimmed NYC (6"), but eastern MA, the Cape and the Islands are getting hit. I don't think that we will reach 1978 standards, but it's a decent blizzard. Worst part right now is coastal flooding, especially at high tides. Utility companies shut the power off to whole sections of houses along the water to avoid fire risks; if I lived in one of those, I would not be real happy. especially when my pipes froze for lack of heat.

LL

It appears that a lot of these reporters have never seen snow before. They seem amazed that the street is covered and there are drifts almost up to their knees.

With most of the reporters in NYC to chronicle the carnage that isn't happening I'm reminded of Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It was predicted to slam into Miami where all the networks hunkered down and filmed palm fronds blowing. "Well", they said at daybreak, "That wasn't too bad". Meanwhile 50 miles south, everything was flattened and blown into the Everglades.

Blowing really good here. Can't see more then 40 feet out. I have one drift at about four feet high on the backside of the house, but that will keep down the draft coming in. No idea of how much snow we have gotten, as it doesn't stay in one place for too long. Can get out my drive in four wheel drive and up to the main road, but once you are there, the paved road has a drift of about five feet high and most likely twenty feet down the road.. Have no where to go anyway so I will have another cup of coffee. Go out and clear a place, so the dog can do her duties. And keep throwing wood on the fire.

Loophole, power here has been going off & on earlier the AM ,few seconds at a time. I am glad that the snow is light and fluffy, as it isn't building up in the trees or the power lines. With the winds we are having ( so far lighter then expected ) it would be a mess.

No, so far this isn't the end of the world, more of a PITA then anything else. Wish spring was here!!

Blowing really good here. Can't see more then 40 feet out. I have one drift at about four feet high on the backside of the house, but that will keep down the draft coming in. No idea of how much snow we have gotten, as it doesn't stay in one place for too long. Can get out my drive in four wheel drive and up to the main road, but once you are there, the paved road has a drift of about five feet high and most likely twenty feet down the road.. Have no where to go anyway so I will have another cup of coffee. Go out and clear a place, so the dog can do her duties. And keep throwing wood on the fire.

Loophole, power here has been going off & on earlier the AM ,few seconds at a time. I am glad that the snow is light and fluffy, as it isn't building up in the trees or the power lines. With the winds we are having ( so far lighter then expected ) it would be a mess.

No, so far this isn't the end of the world, more of a PITA then anything else. Wish spring was here!!

I was wondering how things were up around Potland but the media seems unconcerned about you Maineiacs.

On the Mass Turnpike headed into Boston, the State has installed a series of illuminated signs with flashing warnings - Amber alerts, road closures, etc. Yesterday's message, after the announcement of a statewide driving ban beginning at midnight:

"Wicked stahm coming."

"Pahk ya cah."

:P

LL

Mo:

Will you PLEASE leave me that hat in your will?????

LL

Sure the ushanka is yours! It was only 5000 rubles and that was before the ruble crashed. It's rabbit.

The coat is from Eddie Bauer and was originally designed to be used pilots who flew at 30000 ft in unheated cockpits in WWII (-70F).

Mo:

Will you PLEASE leave me that hat in your will?????

LL

But it remains to be seen which one of you will perish first in the Worst Storm In Recorded History!! :D

I was wondering how things were up around Potland but the media seems unconcerned about you Maineiacs.

They know we can handle it. I really don't think it is all that much. Biggest problem is that it drifts back in real fast. The weather guesser here are excited by it as well.

Archived