SASS Wire Forum

Best and worst ways to die in the West

Rye Miles #13621

Reading this article made me think how would ya'll have liked to die in the Old West? A quick bullet to the head? In bed with a sassy lady (or man)

How about in your sleep under the stars? Yea that's mine!

http://www.historynet.com/what-do-you-consider-the-best-and-worst-ways-one-could-have-died-on-the-western-frontier.htm

worst, at least one way, dying from burns that resulted from yur clothes catching fire during an up close gun fite.

The old being staked out on an anthill would be another bad one.

Best, Waking up one morning to discover nothing hurts. Dad always said that once you're over 50 if you wake up one morning and nothing hurts you'll know you died during the night.

"They tie you to a wagon wheel and smear pitch all over you. Then, they set you on fire."

Also, did anyone see the old Burt Lancaster movie, "Ulzana's Raid"?

Tied out in the sun with wet leather thongs sounds pretty bad. Die of thirst and such after a few days in agony.

In my own bed surrounded by family and friends at a very advanced age sounds pretty alright

Best--a massive heart attack while doing the horizontal mambo with a beautiful woman

Worst--a hatchet to the back while doing the horizontal mambo with a beautiful woman

:P

Well, this is hard for me to admit. :blush: But one of my ancestors was hanged from the tongue of a wagon out on the Kansas prairie for shooting a man in the back and stealing his horse. :o The good new is, that ancestor didn't have any offspring to taint the family blood. -_-

That's true, at least according to one of my uncles. ^_^

Deaths of other ancestors of mine.

A Great Grandfather drowned in the Missouri River trying to save a child. The child drowned also.

Another Great Grandfather was killed in the oil fields of California from an explosion.

A Great Uncle died after being kicked in the head by a mule.

My Grandfather's first wife died in child birth. The child also died.

An Uncle of mine died when he was a boy from a rock fight with other boys. He was hit in the stomach and died two day later.

I don't know which death was better or worse, but once dead, it prove to be rather permanent.

Worst-Be'n around my X-wife :angry:

Best-Be'n around my wife :wub:

OLG

Was that The Original Mrs. Lumpy Grits?

WORST--- HANGIN' OR SNAKE BITE

BEST-- IN MY SLEEP LIKE OUR SON

Best way like my Grandfather: at 94 he got run over by a drunk at three AM leaving his girl friend's apartment (drunk was the son of local judge, so he never spent even a day in jail).

Worst way: having to endure the torture of endless political speeches from leftist politicians while my brain is slowly poisoned, rots, and leaks out my ears!

I can feel the poison seep in every time that man at 1600 opens his mouth before I can turn off the radio.

Edit: actually that was my great grandfather (late night typing is something I should avoid) and since it happened sixty years ago there were no blood alcohol tests and corrupt judges and politicians have never been limited to the Old West.

Didn't want to put my personal fear online, but here it is. Since most western town didn't have the best fire fighting if any besides bucket brigade, my biggest fear is burning alive. Back when I was in my 20s, I was caught inside a building explosion, 2nd story and fought myself out on fire. To this day, I still cringe at fires, and had to walk out of "Towering Inferno". MT

Man...you are dead right on that Boondoggle.....Jim

Archived