SASS Wire Forum

Breaking Bad

Shawnee McGrutt

Saw on the news tonight that Toys R Us, is selling a line of action figures of the characters from the show Breaking Bad. They come complete with bags of meth. My question is, why? They say they are for kids 15 years and older.

Meth cookers. The new American hero? Sheesh.

That is what I thought. I believe who ever thought this up as a toy for kids, is most likely smoking meth themselves. One can only hope that this will put the companies thati are producing it and selling them, into financial ruin.

I couldn't believe it, so I looked - it's true. :huh:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34220066&cp=&parentPage=search

Under Produce Description:

"This unforgettable variant edition figure features Walter as his alter ego of Heisenberg. He comes complete with removable hat, removable glasses, a sack of cash, and a bag of blue crystals."

This is just nuts. :mellow:

Well, you reap what you sow.....

Adult cable subscribers have made this tale of unethical criminal behavior rewarded by huge profit an enticing life model - like others did with The Sopranos. Everybody likes a bad guy, if you give him some humanizing characteristics. Freed from the ordinary restraints of a law-abiding life, and assigned some measure of human sympathy, these amoral misfits become. in a twisted way, admirable. They "beat the system"; they enjoy financial reward without the limitations of legal businesses; they do what we all sometimes wish we could do (act without moral limitations) and don't lose sleep over it.

I stopped watching this show after the first season. I know that the gangster movies of the 1940's glamorized criminals, but they were morality plays, and the bad guys got their just desserts in the end. These modern day bootleggers never see jail, or get killed, or lose family to violence. How can we be surprised that some profiteer in the "toy" business thinks that Jimmy and Debbie should have a drug dealer doll on the shelf?

LL

Well, you reap what you sow.....

Adult cable subscribers have made this tale of unethical criminal behavior rewarded by huge profit an enticing life model - like others did with The Sopranos. Everybody likes a bad guy, if you give him some humanizing characteristics. Freed from the ordinary restraints of a law-abiding life, and assigned some measure of human sympathy, these amoral misfits become. in a twisted way, admirable. They "beat the system"; they enjoy financial reward without the limitations of legal businesses; they do what we all sometimes wish we could do (act without moral limitations) and don't lose sleep over it.

I stopped watching this show after the first season. I know that the gangster movies of the 1940's glamorized criminals, but they were morality plays, and the bad guys got their just desserts in the end. These modern day bootleggers never see jail, or get killed, or lose family to violence. How can we be surprised that some profiteer in the "toy" business thinks that Jimmy and Debbie should have a drug dealer doll on the shelf?

LL

+100

Just another example of the moral decay of AMERICA

Maybe I was to quick to judge. The spin offs from this are endless. Profits can be as great as dealing the trash itself.

They will need customers, so here is Marty &Mary Methhead. They come complete with a meth pipe that emits smoke, stolen credit cards and welfare checks. One press of a button on their backs and their mouths open and their teeth fall out. When Marty & Mary can't steal to support their habit, Mary can turn tricks. So a character called Peter T. Pervert, will get introduced into the toy lineup. This will lead to more characters so the little kiddies, can have the town of Methville. We can't forget a place to cook the meth. So how about a old junk mobile home, that emits toxic fumes and for more fun and action, to keep them playing for hours with these great products, it blows up and takes out a complete neighborhood. Which will call for a fire and ems crews, the possibilities are endless.

I just hope these jerks producing this crap, don't take me serious.

Wait a minute. The problem is not with the product but with the people who buy it and misuse it, especially those who would buy these dolls for their kids. If you want a censored society, instead of a mostly free one, try Russian and Chinese censorship on for size. Some of you are using the same arguments as the anti-2nd Amendment crowd - ban guns because some don't like them or the way a few miscreants misuse them.

I think most of this thread think the idea is twisted, but unless I've missed something, no one has said anything about censorship.

Adding on, no kid will want this unless they've already seen the show and know the characters. Now that's twisted, and says something about the parents.

Yup.

Something can be perfectly legal but in extremely poor taste and judgement.

This qualifies... at least in my not-so-humble opinion.

Of course, it'll probably be some sort of high-value collectible someday. For somebody. Just not for me.

when I posted about these action figures, I never said they should be taken off the market. I believe in free enterprise and capitalism , I said I hope they fail and lose a lot of money for the bums that are trying to profit from it.

Ya know... some LEO types might enjoy having one and dressing 'im in prison garb and irons... :)

Wait a minute. The problem is not with the product but with the people who buy it and misuse it, especially those who would buy these dolls for their kids. If you want a censored society, instead of a mostly free one, try Russian and Chinese censorship on for size. Some of you are using the same arguments as the anti-2nd Amendment crowd - ban guns because some don't like them or the way a few miscreants misuse them.

It would appear that you have misread the attitude of the Saloon denizens. I don't see where anyone was adviocating a government ban, which would be censorship. It appears that everyine here thinks the idea is tasteless and reflects poorly one the manufacuters and probably the people who might buy one. I can only hope the law of supply and demand wins out in favor of decency and they don't make a profit.

I strongly object to you lumping us in with the likes of the anti gun crowd. Just as I object to the sale of these dolls.

But that's not censorship. Censorship is suppression.

I've got six kids and ten grandkids and I seriously doubt any of them would buy this type of thing. The likelihood of this "toy" being a big hit is remote, IMHO. If no one buys it it will disappear.

It amazes me that anyone with any moral values would even watch a show with a drug dealer as the central character

Well, we watch Dracula movies. ;)

To be fair the show was well written, well acted and very different.

Doesn't mean that we should consider the characters as role models or want to have their image in a toy.

'Course I used to have german army men that I frequently bombed with Black Cats and napalm lighter fluid.

Doesn't mean that we should consider the characters as role models or want to have their image in a toy.

'Course I used to have german army men that I frequently bombed with Black Cats and napalm lighter fluid.

No one ever had any conception that Dracula was a real person dealing drugs to our children, and in our era the memories and wounds of WWII were still fresh with the German soldier as a deadly enemy not a charater to be emulated

Well I watched the first season of Breaking Bad and thought it was interesting. Didn't bother to watch the succeeding seasons though.

Guess I better check my moral values meter. :lol:

I also watched the first season, was well written and the acting was better then most shows. Don't know why I quit watching, guess it was not my cup of tea. Know it isn't a program for young impressional children.

And BB gun sniping from a respectable distance... don't forget the BB gun! ^_^

Well I watched the first season of Breaking Bad and thought it was interesting. Didn't bother to watch the succeeding seasons though.

Guess I better check my moral values meter. :lol:

We have both seen the damages caused by meth, why glorify it

I did not think they glorified it at all.

I have no problem with the manufacturer making these products but I do have a problem with Toys-R-Us selling them!! Good for those who protested TRU and got 'em to remove them!

Rye

Archived