SASS Wire Forum

Open Carry . . .

ShadowCatcher

There is no tactical answer for every situation.

But I don't personally think open carry is the tactical answer for most situations.

I certainly advocate it as a right. And allowing someone who ain't acting right to see it might convince them I'm not worth it.

But being my right, doesn't make open carry the right answer for day to day activity.

Purchased it earlier that day. I'm sure he practiced extensively with it and was familiar with it's function.

Oy!

Purchased it earlier that day. I'm sure he practiced extensively with it and was familiar with it's function.

Oy!

And was so confident in it's function and application that it helped him prevent himself being robbed...

They taught us, in drivers ed, that there is a 3/4 of a second reaction time. You know, the time it takes for your eyes to see and your brain to realize that the brake lights on that semi ten-feet in front of you just came on, and you take your foot off the gas and step on the brake.

Now, if a feller points a gun and me and says, "Give me your gun", that pretty much REQUIRES me to draw my gun. And as soon as it clears leather I'm gonna shoot him three or four times, in the 3/4 of a second it takes him to realize that I'm not handing it to him. Don't see where I'll need no Quick Draw. Just get a good grip, pull it out and do a Quick Shoot.

They taught us, in drivers ed, that there is a 3/4 of a second reaction time. You know, the time it takes for your eyes to see and your brain to realize that the brake lights on that semi ten-feet in front of you just came on, and you take your foot off the gas and step on the brake.

Now, if a feller points a gun and me and says, "Give me your gun", that pretty much REQUIRES me to draw my gun. And as soon as it clears leather I'm gonna shoot him three or four times, in the 3/4 of a second it takes him to realize that I'm not handing it to him. Don't see where I'll need no Quick Draw. Just get a good grip, pull it out and do a Quick Shoot.

Good luck with that.

As he shoots you at least one time in the gut. That's called a draw. Now drive yourself to the nearest hospital bleeding like a stuck pig. If he was carrying concealed, the jerk would have asked for his wallet instead. After throwing it on the ground, he could've drawn and fired without being shot. Open carry is a nice idea if everyone is carrying like the Old West. Other citizens would defend you. In the world we have made, complacency is the order of the day. "It aint me so why help or bother" seems to be the norm. Those of us who carry know that it is our right and our obligation to defend ourselves and others against evil. This dummy was open carrying hours after buying the thing. Me thinks he was trying to "get a little". Having the gun showing made him feel like a big man. He was almost screaming "Take my gun"! He's lucky the thief didn't shoot him and his freind at 2am.

Nothing good happens at 2am.

Remind me to tell you one night, over a good bottle of anejo, about one night in Dallas . . . .

although you may still be right in the long run . . .

SC

As he shoots you at least one time in the gut. That's called a draw. Now drive yourself to the nearest hospital bleeding like a stuck pig. If he was carrying concealed, the jerk would have asked for his wallet instead. After throwing it on the ground, he could've drawn and fired without being shot. Open carry is a nice idea if everyone is carrying like the Old West. Other citizens would defend you. In the world we have made, complacency is the order of the day. "It aint me so why help or bother" seems to be the norm. Those of us who carry know that it is our right and our obligation to defend ourselves and others against evil. This dummy was open carrying hours after buying the thing. Me thinks he was trying to "get a little". Having the gun showing made him feel like a big man. He was almost screaming "Take my gun"! He's lucky the thief didn't shoot him and his freind at 2am.

Or, he sees it as you pull out your wallet and shoots you before you get a chance to distract him by throwing your wallet on the ground. Or he shoots you because you threw your wallet on the ground.

Bob Munden coulda done it. Can't think of any other human who might pull that off.

Anybody who decides to open carry, it's your choice. I won't criticize you. It's not for me for sound tactical reasons.

I'll only say that you need to be very very aware of your surroundings at all times and be trained and prepared if the S suddenly HTF.

Know how to retain your weapon so the bad guy doesn't get it. Know how to fight back while your retaining it. You can't draw if he's got hold of it too.

Saw a pic of one of the AR carrying types. He had it slung over his back. All I'd have to do is come up behind him while he was sipping his latte, grab it and pull the sling up around his neck.

I believe there are responsibilities inherent with going heeled. Be prepared at all times, have the right mindset, be profiicient in the employment of your weapon, and use your head.

And don't hang out on street corners at 2am.

Even at 1am. ;)

another open carry bashing thread.....

Tactically ( love that word LOL) .... It may be or may not be a good situation. That's for the open carrier to decide. If a person wishes to enjoy thier open carry right. Kudos to them.

GG

Tactically ( love that word LOL) .... It may be or may not be a good situation. That's for the open carrier to decide. If a person wishes to enjoy thier open carry right. Kudos to them.

GG

No one was bashing... just pointing out the obvious.. still.. if the shoe fits. . . . .

SC

GG

I believe I use tactical in it's proper context for a good reason and have for decades, not like the airsoft and gunshop commando crowds. Thinking tactically has kept me alive so far. It ain't rocket science. If you're gonna carry, you'd better be able to think tactically if you want to survive, or avoid, a life or death situation. I maintain that open carry is not the best tactic to use for everyday life in today's society. I don't bash but I do have an opinion. Unsolicited though it may be. ;)

I just got one of those "Sneaky Pete" holsters for my Kel-Tec .32. It looks like a cell phone pouch. I got to wondering if I got approached by some one wanting my "cell phone" how that would work out. I never thought about some one robbing you for your gun. I'm thinking "Back to the drawing board" on this one.

Knarley

I don't need to carry openly nor concealed. If someone draws down on me I'll just use my ninja skills to field strip their pistol as they hold it, before they can fire.

And yes, before you ask, I am intimately familiar with every one of the hundreds of different handgun designs, and can disassemble them with one hand while blindfolded.

I don't need to carry openly nor concealed. If someone draws down on me I'll just use my ninja skills to field strip their pistol as they hold it, before they can fire.

Jhoon Rhee would be proud......... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I believe I use tactical in it's proper context for a good reason and have for decades, not like the airsoft and gunshop commando crowds. Thinking tactically has kept me alive so far. It ain't rocket science. If you're gonna carry, you'd better be able to think tactically if you want to survive, or avoid, a life or death situation. I maintain that open carry is not the best tactic to use for everyday life in today's society. I don't bash but I do have an opinion. Unsolicited though it may be. ;)

I agree with your assesment UB.

Wise words.

I just got one of those "Sneaky Pete" holsters for my Kel-Tec .32. It looks like a cell phone pouch. I got to wondering if I got approached by some one wanting my "cell phone" how that would work out. I never thought about some one robbing you for your gun. I'm thinking "Back to the drawing board" on this one.

Knarley

Displaying cells phone (high end valuable model) or being unaware because one is occupied with cell phone could lead to a robbery and the firearm maybe a secondary bonus , along with wallet, for the crook.

And yes, before you ask, I am intimately familiar with every one of the hundreds of different handgun designs, and can disassemble them with one hand while blindfolded.

At a distance enough for him to react and pull the trigger before your lighting reflexes can get to him? Or he has a buddy with gun as well.

Perhaps you know Mad Mike.

Probably the best tactic. Silent and effective. I'd do it myself but my Ninja union card lapsed a while back. They wanted me to pay dues in Yen and I couldn't find a conversion table.

Displaying cells phone (high end valuable model) or being unaware because one is occupied with cell phone could lead to a robbery and the firearm maybe a secondary bonus , along with wallet, for the crook.

C

Cell phone and tablet thefts are becoming as common as flies at a landfill.

You ain't ever been in a REAL gunfight-Have you??

LG

His buddy will be transfixed by my awesomeness.

:D

Glad you did ;)

.but?.. Why you took my post personally?...sounds good pard. Ride high in the saddle....

GG

So...if open carry ISN'T a good idea, why do the police open carry?

Because you can draw faster that way.

Like I said, sometimes open carry is the tactical answer. For the patrolman, it's a subtle and overt show of force. The people he meets will be more likely to recognize him as an authority figure, etc.

He's also trained to keep the openly carried weapon opposite potential threats, it's in a "no take away" holster, and he's had training on retaining it in a struggle.

Ever stand close to a cop, while he was in uniform? You'll get asked to step back right quick.

Most of us aren't wearing those type holsters, they're usually not very light, comfortable, or form fitting. And most of us have never trained to suddenly fight someone off with one hand, like UB was talking about.

How many detectives and off duty cops have you seen open carrying in your city?

Open carry out in the country, woods, etc? Yes, I do.

Not when I'm in town surrounded by strangers though.

Archived