SASS Wire Forum

Open Carry . . .

ShadowCatcher

Right you are Farmer Tom. It is an authority recognition thingy. This man is trying to help someone, maybe not you tho. In any case the uniform (including clothes, badge and visible gun) tell you immediately that there is a situation and you should clear the area if you are not involved. If you are involved, well then have your ID and CWP handy and don't stand to close to him/her.

So...if open carry ISN'T a good idea, why do the police open carry?

It's call'd TRAINING--Also, today's police uniform holsters are 'snatch' resistant.

Police/LEO's will need access to their weapons(TASER or gun or p'spray)more in one day, than CCW folk will most likely need in their lifetime.

LG

I have a "tactical" open carry holster. It is extremely light weight and ruggedly built. I can't use it effectively because of nerve damage in my hands. I can't feel the release button well enough to use it consistently well. The holster I use when I do open carry is set up at an odd angle and it's a lefty. that makes it a little harder for someone else to access. Just ask the officer who tried to show how easy it was to snatch my weapon. I taught myself a couple of things to help insure my retention of my pistol, mostly having to do with placement and awareness.

The officer, who by the way is also a friend, complemented me on my tactics. He mostly carries concealed when not in uniform, but agrees that open carry is doable with the proper mindset and training. I don't always carry openly. When I do, I am conscious of my surroundings and those who are around me, even in the grocery store and the drive in market!

It's call'd TRAINING--Also, today's police uniform holsters are 'snatch' resistant.

Police/LEO's will need access to their weapons(TASER or gun or p'spray)more in one day, than CCW folk will most likely need in their lifetime.

LG

You are verrrrrrry correct sir!

Oh puleeeze. :D

I just got one of those "Sneaky Pete" holsters for my Kel-Tec .32. It looks like a cell phone pouch. I got to wondering if I got approached by some one wanting my "cell phone" how that would work out. I never thought about some one robbing you for your gun. I'm thinking "Back to the drawing board" on this one.

Knarley

Dang, Knarley. I have a P32 and I just put it in my pocket.

No holster, you'd have to look hard to see it print on my pants.

If I feel threated, I just casually put my hand in my pocket like I'm getting keys out.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Dang, Knarley. I have a P32 and I just put it in my pocket.

No holster, you'd have to look hard to see it print on my pants.

If I feel threated, I just casually put my hand in my pocket like I'm getting keys out.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

That's what I WAS doing.............. Perhaps it is the right way to go. But I have to admit it makes a nice gun case.

My ninja skills have wained in the past few years, so I can't do that spinnin' jumpin' stuff no more, my nylon knee won't take it. ;)

Knarley

That's what I WAS doing.............. Perhaps it is the right way to go. But I have to admit it makes a nice gun case.

My ninja skills have wained in the past few years, so I can't do that spinnin' jumpin' stuff no more, my nylon knee won't take it. ;)

Knarley

Everybody who matters knows there's a gun in there. Cops know it. and bad guys know it. ;)

Like the balliatis fanny pack. Everybody had one when they first came out.

Everybody who matters knows there's a gun in there. Cops know it. and bad guys know it. ;)

Like the balliatis fanny pack. Everybody had one when they first came out.

And that bra carry for the ladies... But I aint gonna 'check' LOL!

GG

Again... its called Training! A LEO is trained to watch people! Most of my retired friends have the same habits from when they were working. Civilians don't practice that daily for 20 or 25 years like we do. Doesn't make us better just better trained.

If you are observant, and if you look carefully, you can even spot those who have a gun tucked into a pants pocket and even some light coats. It helps to know the tendencies of those who might carry in less than likely ways. Their other actions often give them away.

I rarely try to hide my concealed weapon any more than just keeping it out of plain sight. Like Bob said, those who matter already know. This is another reason I am less uncomfortable in open carry mode. I like to think of myself as one of those that matter. I learned a lot from my law dog pappy over the years!!

Like the ballistic fanny pack. Everybody had one when they first came out.

I never want to give up a right, even if it is to do something for which I have not seen a need or value for yet. You never know what tomorrow may bring.

A possible semi-automatic, black gun - sounds really dangerous.

You haven't been to right establishment. Wait, you were in Germany, right?

It only seems good at the time. ;)

Conceal carry....its for the kids! :P

My kid mostly carries open!! :oB)

Archived