SASS Wire Forum

Bitty-Q

Subdeacon Joe

It's a Boy Scout thing we teach at summer camp. :)

I learned something similar with a can - like a small paint thinner can, sand, and your fuel (usually gasoline). Fill the can with sand, saturate the sand with the fuel. Light it at the top of the spout. The sand wicks the fuel up.

I learned something similar with a can - like a small paint thinner can, sand, and your fuel (usually gasoline). Fill the can with sand, saturate the sand with the fuel. Light it at the top of the spout. The sand wicks the fuel up.

I learned something along those lines using a roll of toilet paper, without the cardboard core.

Built a heater for a bar in Spain using a similar concept. Fuel barrel outside feeds copper line coiled in bottom of another barrel Drill several VERY small holes in line and bury in the sand. Added another barrel on top to act as a heat exchanger. Used a gate valve to set the flow rate and a ball valve as the on/off. Worked great using waste JP-5 as fuel.

Haven't seen one melt yet. :)

Evaporating fuel cools the "stove," and the flame - and heat - is above the metal.

This guy was using charcoal. Would guess that the aluminum would burn through in a short time.

Another one of these thinking outside of the box without understanding why the box was there in the first place?

Used to make some similar to 'Pan's our of steel cans and used rocks or sticks to support the pot or pan... usually a GI canteen cup... over the flame. Very compact and durable.

Also carried a LOT of war surplus canned heat, too. (Sorry, Charlie. :D )

You can boil water in a paper cup. MT

Yes you can! We did it in high school chemistry. My chemistry teacher wasn't sure what to say when I said I knew it could be done from reading Louis L'Amour westerns!

You notice, at 2:55, when he is carefully using tongs to transfer the hot coals from the beer-can tray to the beer-can grill, he is holding the beer-can tray in his bare hand.

Aluminum must not conduct heat as well as I always thought it did. :P

Howdy, That's cute but I wonder how close to eleven bucks the hardware would get.

Eleven bucks buys the cheapest grille at Lowes, I believe.

Best

CR

Archived