SASS Wire Forum

Right on officer...

Guess one can't post a good thing a local officer did without scrutiny...

GG

GG

You're barking up the wrong tree. Not saying the officer did anything wrong.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Not saying the officer did anything wrong.

Not barking up any tree. The officer most likely didn't think she was 'allegedly' choking. Good for him.

GG

GG

I think it was a joke, and the comment wasn't about the officer at any rate, but about the little old lady. The officer handled it just fine, and deserves all the positive publicity he is getting.

Not barking up any tree. The officer most likely didn't think she was 'allegedly' choking. Good for him.

GG

The officer had no choice but to assume she was choking.

Ah, no comment, would go up the wrong tree. Hate being misunderstood.

I think it was a joke, and the comment wasn't about the officer at any rate, but about the little old lady. The officer handled it just fine, and deserves all the positive publicity he is getting.

'Allegedly' joking. :D

GG

I'm not a 100% sure what I just watched, but umm, wasn't that her making the noise? Last time I took a first aid class (and every time I ever took one) you did not do the Heimlich to someone who was still able to make noise.

IMO, that video needs to be cut down to just show the part between 22 and 32 seconds, and have the sound removed.

I'm not a 100% sure what I just watched, but umm, wasn't that her making the noise? Last time I took a first aid class (and every time I ever took one) you did not do the Heimlich to someone who was still able to make noise. IMO, that video needs to be cut down to just show the part between 22 and 32 seconds, and have the sound removed.

The Heimlich is generally not performed on someone who is able to pass air or cough. The theory is you could actually cause the object to lodge further, as I recall. Instead, you encourage them to keep trying to cough it up. Being able to make a sound is not necessarily the same thing, as a person can make sort of a choking-retching sound (best way I can put it), without being able to really move air.

In the case of the officer, I wasn't beside the door, I didn't see her, and I don't know his level of training. He saw an emergent situation, stayed calm, and rendered assistance. Certainly, she appeared to believe she was in dire straights. I'm not going to second guess him.

In the past decade as a law dawg I have saved the lives of almost 20 people, received commendations for 9 of them, had 5 attempts made on my life, buried 7 friends, made over 800 DUI arrests, etc. ad nauseum. But you've never heard of any of those, have you?

Cyrus, blowing your own horn sounds like a rookie, and yes, with now 42 years of service I have seen officers with twice your experience that still act and think like rookies. You just keep doing your job well, someone will honk your horn for ya!!!

In the past decade as a law dawg I have saved the lives of almost 20 people, received commendations for 9 of them, had 5 attempts made on my life, buried 7 friends, made over 800 DUI arrests, etc. ad nauseum. But you've never heard of any of those, have you?

Thanks for your service to community :)

GG

Cyrus, blowing your own horn sounds like a rookie, and yes, with now 42 years of service I have seen officers with twice your experience that still act and think like rookies. You just keep doing your job well, someone will honk your horn for ya!!!

He wasn't exactly blowing his horn. I would suggest that maybe you should hang around here a little longer and get to know people better before you take jabs at the fellas here.

A police officer, from Kenebunk, Maine, made NBC Nightly News a week or so ago. He saved a motorist who was having a heart attack. He had to do CPR until an other unit could come on scene with a defibrillator . He did well and was quite modest . They made a big deal of it, which they should have, they make a big deal if an officer did something wrong. The old fellow was stopped for speeding, ( was going to get ice cream ), the policeman did not write him a ticket. It was his lucky day.

Shawnee

He wasn't exactly blowing his horn. I would suggest that maybe you should hang around here a little longer and get to know people better before you take jabs at the fellas here.

Exactly. I was trying to make a point about how our profession is usually portrayed in the media. Tens of thousands of times per day throughout the country my colleagues do something noteworthy, but it goes unnoticed until somebody screws up (or is perceived to have screwed up, even if they didn't).

Maybe I should point you to the Forum Guidelines. http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Good answer and thank you for it Bob!

Maybe I should point you to the Forum Guidelines. http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I don't get why he was referred to the board rules. And on a related note, are there not supposed to be any spaces or line breaks in those rules? They sure are hard to read.

I believe Cyrus is explaining his frustration with the news media and backing it up with personal experience.

Stating that Cyrus sounds like a rookie blowing his own horn is an insult. Maybe it wasn't meant that way; but, it came across that way. Hence Utah Bob's (another LEO) post and my referral to the guidelines.

I don't get why he was referred to the board rules. And on a related note, are there not supposed to be any spaces or line breaks in those rules? They sure are hard to read.

The following is from the Guidelines.

"The SASS Wire The SASS Wire is designed to provide a series of forums where folks gather and share ideas of similar interests. It’s about fun and family and guests are welcome. We respect everyone’s Constitutional Rights, however, we do not allow those rights to be an excuse for rude behavior or abuse of the Wire..."

I'm trying to ensure that a new poster is aware of the type of forum this is. Specifically it is "about fun and family." I've had my share of insults. They were not fun nor do they present a welcoming atmosphere for anyone who is interested in the sport or would like to start posting.

Regards,

Allie Mo

What Chucklebeery said WAS insulting and asinine :excl::angry:

What Cyrus left out, was all the dead kids we have had to deal with.

The last I had, was a DOA, 4 yo on the bottom of a pool--

Cyrus's experiences, are very close to mine----

LG

What Chucklebeery said WAS insulting and asinine :excl::angry:

Cyrus's experiences, are very close to mine----

LG

Thanks for your service too :) glad folks like y'all step up and help make our communities a safer place.

GG

Yeah, I try to forget about those, but I never do. My very first dead baby call was a four month-old boy when I had a four month-old boy at home. He even looked like my little guy. The so-called father had shaken him, gripping him so hard that he left bruises where his fingertips and thumbs squeezed the body. He shook the little guy so hard his neck snapped, then he smashed him down on the coffee table, picked him up, shook him some more, then slammed him against the wall. Then he called 911 and said his baby had "fallen out of the crib."

I had the unfortunate assignment of babysitting the child's body at the hospital for 3 hours until the coroner arrived. Once he was declared deceased, you see, he ceased being a person and became evidence. Therefore, I could not leave the evidence unsecured to preserve the integrity of the criminal case. So I sat and stared at the dead little guy for 3 hours, thinking about my little guy at home.

I managed not to shoot the SOB, but I still have nightmares about that little guy from time to time. I try to console myself with the idea that with a dad like that, he might be better off.

Archived