SASS Wire Forum

Beware ( Armslist Firearms Marketplace)

There are guns being listed by non registered sellers that are complete frauds. I know this because the guns they are selling are mine and I have them listed on Gunbroker.

So beware of any purchases on Armslist with unlisted sellers. I went through the prosecution of one individual in Virginia for fraud and I am glad to say that he was convicted.

Another unlisted seller has three of my guns listed. 2 SKB's and a 66 in 38 special at prices that are unreal, that in itself should be a warning.

Thanks,

Johnny Meadows

I have contacted the ATF fraud line to see if I can get them caught.

There are guns being listed by non registered sellers that are complete frauds. I know this because the guns they are selling are mine and I have them listed on Gunbroker.

So beware of any purchases on Armslist with unlisted sellers. I went through the prosecution of one individual in Virginia for fraud and I am glad to say that he was convicted.

Another unlisted seller has three of my guns listed. 2 SKB's and a 66 in 38 special at prices that are unreal, that in itself should be a warning.

Thanks,

Johnny Meadows

I have contacted the ATF fraud line to see if I can get them caught.

Thanks for posting this. I've often wondered about some of the guns listed. On two occasions I could not get responses to simple questions so that set off a red flag.

We seem to have the fraudulent type posters frequent the Texas Gun Trader. Basically they advertise a low price and request the buyer to send funds prior to the shipment of the firearm. It amazes me that a potential buyer would send funds prior to reciving the gun to a private seller. Apparently it happens. I do face to face purchases unless it is a reputable business.

I contacted a seller on Arms list about an SKB shot gun at a very low price and backed off

the deal after a couple of E-Mails back and forth...smelled Fishy

A few months ago I came across a Ruger Old Army, stainless steel, fixed sights, 5 1/2 inch barrel, NIB for $700 on ArmsList. I sent off an email and the guy answered. Turns out he said he was from the neighboring state of Vermont. I said I'd give him his asking price of $700 (no haggling) cash if he would meet me in person half way in White River Junction, VT/Lebanon, NH (about 90 miles for each of us). He said OK but he didn't know what day he could meet me yet. I gave him my phone number to call me when he could. He never called back. I thought it sounded too good to be true. Damn! ;)

Hmmm. I've made many deals through Armslist without any issues, but maybe I've just been lucky. I've mostly bought lower priced guns, so my risk was less. Still, I will be more wary of the market now, especially since you mention personal knowledge of fraud.

For any site you are buying from on line it's best to exchange conversations with the seller and request specific additional photos. If they have pirated the photos from somewhere and don't have the actual firearm they won't be able to take those additional specific photos for you.

Scout

Hmmm. I've made many deals through Armslist without any issues, but maybe I've just been lucky. I've mostly bought lower priced guns, so my risk was less. Still, I will be more wary of the market now, especially since you mention personal knowledge of fraud.

Good practice to get into for all online purchases is to do a google search on the title of the posting or a unique phrase in the description.. when you get multiple hits look at them and compare prices and pictures. Have found a lot of fraudulent adds this way. Also have discovered that sometimes the price on new guns is higher than if bought in the store. Looked up one the other day and it is $100.00 cheaper from my local store than it is on gun broker for the same model and caliber firearm both NIB.

For any site you are buying from on line it's best to exchange conversations with the seller and request specific additional photos. If they have pirated the photos from somewhere and don't have the actual firearm they won't be able to take those additional specific photos for you.

Scout

I'm not saying you are wrong. but I have sold in excess of 10 million dollars worth of firearms online - Auctionarms now Gunauction.com

I directed my staff that requests for additional pictures were to be ignored.

A sellers failure to comply with your request may not mean they are shady, it might just be they have better things to do than provide you with an individualized sales presentation.

In other words - I am going to sell this online item to somebody. Makes no difference to me whether its you or not.

Paying my staff to put in more labor on this already posted item is a losing proposition - if they are taking more pictures, it better be because they are getting ready to post another gun.

We seem to have the fraudulent type posters frequent the Texas Gun Trader. Basically they advertise a low price and request the buyer to send funds prior to the shipment of the firearm. It amazes me that a potential buyer would send funds prior to reciving the gun to a private seller. Apparently it happens. I do face to face purchases unless it is a reputable business.

I have sent funds to a private seller several times , for deals on the SASS classifieds. That is a bit different , given the fairly close society of the players involved. But I don't know of any other sellers that would send product without payment , and I have never asked any that I have bought from to do so. That said , I have only bought online here , and off GunBroker , from A+ dealers.

If I only did face to face , would have missed out on several deals over the years.

Not familiar with Texas Gun Trader , but good to know to be careful there. Thanks , Rex :D

Thanks for the post JM...just a couple of days ago I got a tip on a long range Sharps on Armslist..sounded to good...did not follow up ...on the SASS classifieds I have nevre had a hiccup...with many guns purchased cash front..Jim

Howdy,

Deal with yer pards right hea on da wire.

Not perfect but way nicer and if someone backs out on a deal at least they

are clear about it.

buying or selling SASS pards are the BEST.

Never used that other outfit.

I can spend enuf right here.

Best

CR

Thanks JM for posting. I'm new on this particular site but sure appreciate the caution. In fact registered in part to query about a Uberti 73 and just yesterday saw one on Armslist that did have a good price and that was offered by an unregistered seller. Wondered at that then and appreciate the red flag now!!

I have seen a lot of great deals on armslist. A quick search for completed auction on gun broker reveals the same pictures. Usually it is the very first or very last completed auction in the query. I don't even bother with armslist very much anymore.

The majority of transaction for firearms sales happen that way. You send them the FFL and the funds, they send the gun to the FFL of your choice. You go pick up the gun and do the paper work.

I would not ship a gun without payment and FFL in hand.

I have shipped stuff here on the wire to buyers with out receiving payment. But never firearms. I have. Been burned here on the wire on a firearm purchase. Had to send the police in Killen Texas to talk to the Turd.

Archived