SASS Wire Forum

Pigs CAN Fly!

Subdeacon Joe

Careful, now... it might be considered politically incorrect to use pigs against certain enemies.... :mellow:

Careful, now... it might be considered politically incorrect to use pigs against certain enemies.... :mellow:

They never seem to complain for long.

I watch the Air Guard here in Fort Wayne fly over most of the week. I aint far from the base. Them darn things is scary -an they aint after ME!

Read the A-10's dayz are over--

LG

Not yet. It has a lot of people in the House fighting for it.

I thot the AF wanted the hot rod fighters but the Marine Corps wanted the Hog for ground support.

I can't think of a better use for it.

It will be interesting to see if the Army or Marines don't try to take them over if the Air Force tries to do away with them.

The Air Force thinks its job is air superiority and strategic bombing. A-10 ain't good at either. It thinks the Army and Marines have closer ties with their own troops and speak the same language. Not to mention that ground support is a much more dangerous and lethal mission. I don't remember the exact figures but in desert storm something like 90% of the Air Force aircraft hit were A-10's.

GOOD-Have a son who is still alive, thanks to A-10 ground support fire.

LG

I was combat arms in the Army, I have a very healthy appreciation for them. I have talked to a few guys that have been glad A-10s were there when they needed them. I'm glad they were there for your son as well.

I quickly looked for, but could not find, a recording of an F-15 pilot (I believe) saying that the situation on the ground was not good, and that some A-10's were needed, because fast movers couldn't get the job done.

Also, here is about the best article I have seen on the subject.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-usafs-rationale-for-retiring-the-a-10-warthog-is-bu-1562789528

The Air Force thinks its job is air superiority and strategic bombing. A-10 ain't good at either. It thinks the Army and Marines have closer ties with their own troops and speak the same language. Not to mention that ground support is a much more dangerous and lethal mission. I don't remember the exact figures but in desert storm something like 90% of the Air Force aircraft hit were A-10's.

what were the stats on surviving the hits?

what were the stats on surviving the hits?

Very high I don't have the stats available but in the high 90% category as I remember. They are tough birds made for the job they do and I don't think we lost more then two or three of them. A great aircraft and I don't agree with the Air Force position on them but then the Air Force neglected to ask me what I thought.

The A 10 is a perfect example of an air craft design for a specific purpose, air to ground combat. Straight wings for low and slow flight armor around the cockpit , system redundancies, the ability to loiter for long times and awesome fire power

The A 10 is a perfect example of an air craft design for a specific purpose, air to ground combat. Straight wings for low and slow flight armor around the cockpit , system redundancies, the ability to loiter for long times and awesome fire power

From an article on the A-10:

When you're hunkered down behind a sliver of cover taking heavy fire, there is no more reassuring sound than the twin engines of the A-10 Thunderbolt screaming in from the distance.

That's what you think anyway, until you hear the 30mm Gatling gun that can pound out 3,500 rounds per minute at the guys trying to kill you.

Then you know the most reassuring sound you'll ever hear.

The A-10 is an old plane, that continues to provide massive air support to ground troops with that cannon and missiles that can take out a main battle tank in a single shot.

Sometimes old is good.

See the pics - including an A-10 ventilated tank:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-a-10-thunderbolt-ii-is-the-toughest-most-ferocious-aircraft-in-the-skies-2012-8?op=1#ixzz35OgaMyL8

LL

I really don't understand what age has to do with combat effectiveness.

The Ma-Deuce was designed at the end of WWI... And the military has been using it since the 1930's.

The 1911... Needs no introduction. (Side note: 1st and 2nd in the U.S. inventory for longest running service, are the M-2 and M1911. Both designed by JM Browning)

The M-134 has been around since the 60's, although much improved in current use.

I like A-10's too... And I firmly believe they need to remain in the inventory. I'm one of those that thinks they'd be better put to use in the Army though.

It was pretty much mothballed over 20 years ago, but brought back for desert storm where it was finally used, and proved, for it's intended purpose...pretty bad **s to see in action

The Ma-Deuce was designed at the end of WWI... And the military has been using it since the 1930's.

The 1911... Needs no introduction. (Side note: 1st and 2nd in the U.S. inventory for longest running service, are the M-2 and M1911. Both designed by JM Browning)

The M-134 has been around since the 60's, although much improved in current use.

I like A-10's too... And I firmly believe they need to remain in the inventory. I'm one of those that thinks they'd be better put to use in the Army though.

Let's not forget the "Herky-bird." First flight in 1954, into the inventory in '57 and still in production.

B-52. First flight in '52, introduced into service in '55. Haven't had a new one roll off the production line since '62.

Let's not forget the "Herky-bird." First flight in 1954, into the inventory in '57 and still in production.

B-52. First flight in '52, introduced into service in '55. Haven't had a new one roll off the production line since '62.

Don't know how I forgot the first one there.

And there's nothing to replace it on any immediate timelines.

The F-15 is no spring chicken. F-16 too, for that matter.

Per Wikipedia:

A-10 First flight: 1972

F-15 First flight: 1972

F-16 First flight: 1974

Yep

The problem isn't age it is funding. If you look at an aircraft and say we can't improve on it for the mission, that's fine. But when you're not even planning replacements when the airframe is no longer able to survive in today's combat arena that is a problem. Can we build something better and more survivable than the A-10 for close air support? Probably not. Can we build something better than the F-15 for air to air combat? Yes the F-22 but funding to do so isn't there because nobody conceives of a need. When we do we will be behind the production curve, again. Can the BUFF survive in combat today? Well, yeah as long as we are fighting third world countries but could it go to China and come back? I believe they should be decommissioned and replaced with B-2's. Not because the B-2 can do the BUFF's current job better but because the BUFF can't do the job strategic bombers are built for. We can build something better to dump tons of dumb bombs on peasants but why keep obsolete aircraft flying if they can't do the job we may need done if the excrement strikes the rotary oscillator?

The problem isn't age it is funding. If you look at an aircraft and say we can't improve on it for the mission, that's fine. But when you're not even planning replacements when the airframe is no longer able to survive in today's combat arena that is a problem. Can we build something better and more survivable than the A-10 for close air support? Probably not. Can we build something better than the F-15 for air to air combat? Yes the F-22 but funding to do so isn't there because nobody conceives of a need. When we do we will be behind the production curve, again. Can the BUFF survive in combat today? Well, yeah as long as we are fighting third world countries but could it go to China and come back? I believe they should be decommissioned and replaced with B-2's. Not because the B-2 can do the BUFF's current job better but because the BUFF can't do the job strategic bombers are built for. We can build something better to dump tons of dumb bombs on peasants but why keep obsolete aircraft flying if they can't do the job we may need done if the excrement strikes the rotary oscillator?

The one article that was linked in here had numerous quotes from "experts" referencing the age of the A-10 as a reason to scrap it.

And we can add the CH-47 to the mix of old technology, that's still out there kicking tail, via some updates.

Archived