SASS Wire Forum

Triple 7 info please

Dang It Dan 13202

I know you can't respond here with loading data, but I am starting to play with Triple 7 in .38 Special and I need to know what the minimum is to pass the "smoke" test.

If you could please PM with some info I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Dang It Dan

A compressed load will be just enough to combust completely AND meet the smoke requirement (for all BP and subs).

This is the only way to load any BP or BP sub, unless you want to make loading difficult with wads and fillers.

777 is a sub that maximizes velocity (a.k.a. pressure and recoil). Pyrodex and most other subs also work this way.

APP is the only sub that I have tried that gives lower pressures and velocity.

For all BP and subs, FFg will have lower pressure and velocity than FFFg but may require a magnum primer to combust fully and consistently.

PM sent..

This is from Hodgdens website.

Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property. Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads. *See WARNINGS below.

I added the red in the middle to make it easier to find.

Randy

Ok, just so you have been told what the folks who MAKE the stuff have to say on this subject:

Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property. Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads.

This comes from the Hodgdon 777 web site:

http://hodgdon.com/loading.html

They have one recommended load for the 125 grain bullet, and one for a 158 grain, in .38 spl. Both of those have enough FFg listed to make the smoke standard. To get to the loading data, use the "Loads" link from the web page, and follow it to get to the loading data pamphlet they provide.

http://hodgdon.com/tripleseven.html

Good luck, GJ

Dang, RSE - you beat me on that 'un.!

Howdy Dan, many overlook this part of the info listed above -- "....Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only." If you pick up a bottle of FFFG, it says on the label not to use in cartridges. It's fine for C&B though.

Regarding smoke, I've found 777 makes plenty of it. Clean up is a breeze.

Good luck!

Why use 777 instead of real BP? :blink:

A casefull of 3F Goex, and I'll know you'll make any so called 'smoke-standard' there is.

LG

smokeless bullets. It's a great way to get started with smokey stuff without committing to BP-specific bullets the first time out.

I shoot BP, subs and smokeless. Just depends on what voices I'm hearing that day and what's in stock on my bench. It's all good. :)

Why is FFFG not for use in cartridges? Thinking about using 777 in 32-20 cartridges for rifle and pistols. Should I use FFG or can I use FFFG? Thanks

Why is FFFG not for use in cartridges? Thinking about using 777 in 32-20 cartridges for rifle and pistols. Should I use FFG or can I use FFFG? Thanks

Manufacture's directions.

Good news, bad news:

Good: One of CAS's best shooters is considering black powder.

Bad: One of CAS's best shooters is considering black powder.

Dang it, Dan, will I never win another match as a soot lord???

Ah well, once the blackpowder bug bites, it's effects are profound!!

Welcome to the madness. Let me know if you want info on blackpowder shotshells.

this is for a special cat at the Georgia state shoot,,, requires two stages to be shoot FC...

Good news, bad news:

Good: One of CAS's best shooters is considering black powder.

Bad: One of CAS's best shooters is considering black powder.

Dang it, Dan, will I never win another match as a soot lord???

Ah well, once the blackpowder bug bites, it's effects are profound!!

Welcome to the madness. Let me know if you want info on blackpowder shotshells.

Thank you for the kind words. J-Bar, I have already been bitten by the black powder bug. I think it's one of the most fun things you can do actually, but I am still trying to get the hang of being a Gunfighter so I may shoot a little FCGF in the future. THIS, however is for a special category that I will be shooting in Georgia called "All Around Cowboy". A shooter must shoot two stages Traditional, two duelist, two Gunfighter, two "freestyle" and two Blackpowder Cartridge. I am considering using Triple Seven because I don't want to worry about cleaning my guns after shooting the BP stages. Otherwise I would use Goex or Shocky's Gold.

I already have my shotshell load down so I should be set.

Thanks Again.

I am considering using Triple Seven because I don't want to worry about cleaning my guns after shooting the BP stages.

Howdy Dan. If you plan on shooting them again in a smokeless category soon after, I suggest running a couple of wet patches on a jag thru the cylinders and barrels, followed by a dry patch. Some soot will come out, but not as much as BP. Then relube as you wish.

Sounds like fun!

Howdy Dan. If you plan on shooting them again in a smokeless category soon after, I suggest running a couple of wet patches on a jag thru the cylinders and barrels, followed by a dry patch. Some soot will come out, but not as much as BP. Then relube as you wish.

Sounds like fun!

+1. Also, wipe the front of the cylinder and barrel breech end. That's all that is necessary, and it will be worth the minimal effort.

I would suggest relubing you guns after 777 and before smokeless. 777 seems to dry up any lube on the guns. Maybe just a light squirt of Balistol.

McKenzie

I load a case full of FFFG in 777 because it feeds easier in my Dillon. Fill the case, but do not compress.

I shoot 44 Russian in my pistols and 44/40 in my rifle with 200 gr bullets that have smokeless lube.

Triple seven gives a little more bounce for the ounce, but it is very manageable.

I suggest you start with a can of FFFG and go from there.

I load a case full of FFFG in 777 because it feeds easier in my Dillon. Fill the case, but do not compress.

I shoot 44 Russian in my pistols and 44/40 in my rifle with 200 gr bullets that have smokeless lube.

Triple seven gives a little more bounce for the ounce, but it is very manageable.

I suggest you start with a can of FFFG and go from there.

You might want to read the label on the bottle of 777 FFFG where it says in red letters do not use for cartridges.

Archived